If BlackBerry wanted to shift solely to making Android software for other phones, it would just do that. Priv isn't necessary.
    Moreover, if Priv fails, intentionally or otherwise, it wouldn't be a terrific way to launch BBXP. "Remember that phone we were selling that bombed? You don't remember? Well guess what, you can now buy the very same software that phone had for your own Android phone!" That approach just doesn't hit the marketing sweet spot.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-18-15 05:32 PM
    If Chen wants to sell 5 million, the he should commit to that number and market and manufacture to meet that goal.

Via Passport 
    10-18-15 06:05 PM
    If Chen wants to sell 5 million, the he should commit to that number and market and manufacture to meet that goal.
    Is that what they teach at the Thorsten Heins School of Business?
    Elephant_Canyon and JeepBB like this.
    10-18-15 06:14 PM
    I wonder if the US carriers will have this phone available when it launches or if we will have to wait 8 months. I've never understood these slow or non-existent rollouts.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 08:29 PM
    It's not tinfoil..its truth... look at Leo @ HP- he learned that you just can "up and cut" something like this. He has to "try" and then say "oh well..." because of many politic reasons.

It's a huge multi year plan, back office deals... he is there to essentially she'd BlackBerry to software while also tanking the stock to a deal for buyout. You can't just do that quickly without getting into regulatory trouble...

All for our SAP overlords.

Posted via CB10
    So you reckon he's an Elopian Mole for SAP...? Haha... :-D

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-18-15 08:52 PM
    While I agree that Chen would probably be OK with licensing the keyboard and selling the BlackBerry Experience Suite after he can establish value for it, I'm sure he'd be very happy if the Priv does well in its own right. He would not walk away from a potential revenue source like that. There is a real opportunity here for his handset business - unlike anything he ever had with BB10 devices.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    He had tremendous opportunity with BB10.

BB10 was finally mature. XBBM was finally reliable. BlackBerry Blend, BBM Meetings, BlackBerry Protect, a truly unique device in the Passport, and Classic for the old schoolers.

He only needed to do a few things right... carrier relations, tell people about all of the above and create a Z30 replacement.

Instead, while hoarding a pile of cash, he threw temper tantrums with carriers, and purposefully chose to ignore what he had while going full tilt bozo for software.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 09:48 PM
    He had tremendous opportunity with BB10.

BB10 was finally mature. XBBM was finally reliable. BlackBerry Blend, BBM Meetings, BlackBerry Protect, a truly unique device in the Passport, and Classic for the old schoolers.

Posted via CB10
    We've disagreed on this before. In my opinion, by the time Chen got there, it was over for BB10 already. All the stuff you list did not interest anyone (apart from the faithful) because of the complete lack of apps. The numbers were already in the toilet. Even if BB10 devices could have printed money at that point, it wouldn't have mattered - people had already moved on or didn't care to begin with.

The 6 months prior, and the 3-6 months after the initial release of BB10 was make or break. They didn't get the big apps (Netflix, Instagram, etc), or the Google apps. Game over for the consumer market.

Obviously I'm speculating, but I don't think BlackBerry honestly felt they would suddenly go on to sell over 10 million BlackBerry Classics a year to the enterprise sector, but they did hope that if it indeed did not sell in quantity it would at least buy some more time for their software offerings to mature (xBES, IoT, QNX Auto, etc). They also came up with the idea for an Android device and the BlackBerry Experience Suite, and needed time to develop those too.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by conite; 10-18-15 at 11:05 PM.
    Mr4aces and JeepBB like this.
    10-18-15 09:56 PM
    I love how we went from super hyped for BBX in 2012 to "stop d bleedin pls thor" to "bb10 fail, go android!".
    I just find these things comical, we're even at the point of doubt. I for one actually feel like the hype is worth for this device. Many users from /r/android/ to even /g/ is rooting for this phone (no pun intended) are hoping this device has minimal bloat while still offering the awesomeness that BB10 had to offer such as the hub, notifications, etc.

I think this can be done right, and actually has room for error, much more than before, therefore making this an automatic success compare to BB10 devices.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-19-15 12:57 AM
    I think the hype for this device could be worth it.. it's different.

But the problem is.... little bitty BlackBerry can not COMPETE! Any device they release is going to have any extra $100 in cost associated with it due to the BlackBerry's overhead, the lack of being a true manufacture or having any volume to allow for negotiating with suppliers or retailers.

And I bet this phone has MORE bloatware (security and BlackBerry Experience) than most Androids, not less. I think PRICE and PERFORMANCE will both be negatives when compared to other lower end Flagships of it's class. It will all come down to what are you willing to do for a KEYBOARD.... fans of BlackBerry and it's keyboard will settle for the PRIV, everyone else will move on to something else. And too be honest I doubt they sell 500K units in the first 3 months. Just like with most every BlackBerry release ... fans here are expecting something BIG, but in the end those devices just didn't sell well. So I'm sure that which ever manufacture is controlling the inventory, is being very conservative - and Chen isn't going to change the terms of their agreement and take the inventory risks himself.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-19-15 07:16 AM
84 ... 234