This is what I wondered as well. I tried reinstalling an app to see if the thumbnail would change, but it stayed small. Weird, because it wouldn't be this way on a 1080x1920 phone, so the phone is tricked to think it's running 1080x1920 I guess?

Cleaning cache before deinstalling didn't work as well. ( settings - apps )

If anyone has a tip for this, i'd appreciate it very much. My Priv has never been this fast.

A quick update :

I have been using this tweak for 1 day now, and what i found out were ;

- Priv has been faster than ever
    - Battery life has almost doubled for me
    - Phone is not hot anymore, only got a little bit hot during the december update
    - Icons are a mess, no fix thus far for that EDIT : Fixed this by switching the icon pack back to the system icons, i was using polycon's icon pack, so if you don't use this, you shouldn't have this problem, if you do, i'd suggest installing the polycon pack, selecting it and then switching back to the original system icons.
    - BBM peek in hub is looking weird, no fix yet
    - Widget menu is a zoomed-in mess, no fix yet
    - Cropping pictures in Whatsapp before sending them is broken, no fix yet

If you've been having issues with you Priv, messed up battery life, sluggish performance, i'd really suggest you give this a try. Again, much props to the OP.

HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-whatsapp-image-2016-12-15-09.40.58.jpg
    HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-whatsapp-image-2016-12-15-09.40.01-1-.jpg
    HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-whatsapp-image-2016-12-15-09.40.01-2-.jpg
    HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-whatsapp-image-2016-12-15-09.40.01.jpg
    Last edited by SenorPistachio; 12-15-16 at 02:48 AM.
    12-14-16 12:56 AM
    Why don't you just change the resolution to 192x108. I'm sure battery life will be awesome.

Better yet, keep the screen off at all times.
    Why don't we just use iOS? Who needs customization anyway. Why do we even have the ability to have a personal ringtone. Let's take that away too.
    12-16-16 05:40 AM

My app drawer isn't messed up that bad. I use Nova Launcher anyway. But yeah, BlackBerry could fix these issues easily.
    SenorPistachio likes this.
    12-16-16 10:26 AM
    I have been using this for a week and it seems to make everything run better. The human eye can't see more than 1080p on a screen this size anyway right?
    12-16-16 10:37 AM
    Why don't we just use iOS? Who needs customization anyway. Why do we even have the ability to have a personal ringtone. Let's take that away too.
    I fail to see the connection.

I'm not arguing about the ability to customise, I'm specifically referring to intentionally choosing to degrade performance in order to avoid a few minutes on a charger.

Why buy a car with a V8 engine and yank out two cylinders just to get slightly better fuel economy?
    12-16-16 10:38 AM

I'm not arguing about the ability to customise, I'm specifically referring to intentionally choosing to degrade performance in order to avoid a few minutes on a charger.

Why buy a car with a V8 engine and yank out two cylinders just to get slightly better fuel economy?
    It worked out rather well for the Corvette. Just saying.
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-16-16 10:44 AM

I tried this out and it improved performance. I could see almost no difference in pixelation with it running at FHD. I didn't find any difference in battery and because of the improved performance I might have continued with this but it came with a bug that I couldn't find a fix to so I switched back. Not everyone seems to be getting the same benefits out of it, some have improved battery life, some don't. But if it works out for you, why not?
    xandros9 and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-16-16 03:22 PM
    I have been using this for a week and it seems to make everything run better. The human eye can't see more than 1080p on a screen this size anyway right?
    It does make a difference in several use cases. The big one is using VR like in Cardboard. Big difference for me on a 2K display vs 1080P. In day-to-day use 2K is not a big deal.
    chuckiev79 and xandros9 like this.
    12-16-16 03:32 PM
    I'm going to give this mod a try for a week and see how it goes. thanks op.
    FF22 and xandros9 like this.
    04-24-17 08:45 AM
    I was surprised by this, but anyways I tried it and I'll be seeing how that goes.

So far the negatives are:
    - Boot animation doesn't scale to be centered, but that's fine.
    - System icons work fine, but the Pixel Icon pack I use has minor scaling issues with apps that it doesn't have an icon for. No biggie.
    - I had to redo my Picture Passcode as it didn't line up with the new resolution it seems.
    - Widget list in BB Launcher take up more space than they should.
    - Multitasking view (tiles) displays the upper left portion of apps rather than the upper half(?).
    - Obvious slight loss in sharpness but I can't notice unless I really look, and with preexisting knowledge. I'm no pixel-counter though, I thought 720p on a 5" display was perfect, I'm not sure I'd like it on this 5.4" panel though. (it was a Lumia 640)
    - Instagram doesn't seem to scale properly when posting a photo.
    - Emoji scaling

And the positives that I noticed within 5 minutes:
    - TBD

Things that haven't broken:
    - Most apps I've tried so far.

The connection is that you're seeing these people modify their phone to use a lower resolution (and option the Galaxy S8 has mind you) and equating it to be some drastic measure for an additional 30 seconds of power.

For me, any power savings has yet to be seen but it appears our values are different. If someone wants to try hypermiling in their car, are you going to immediately suggest that they just straight up get a bicycle or a Prius? (and are those engines that switch off cylinders depending on power needs worth nothing? complexity aside)

Update: While I changed to 1080p at 81% power, with five or so minutes of USB charging (% going slightly up and down) - I'm now at just over four hours SoT and at 28%. Historically, just 4 hours across a similar time frame is the upper limit of my battery so preliminary data is optimistic (as nothing else has changed since this morning) but more observation needed.

Update 2: Usage continues to be inconclusive. Widely varying usage has confounded results these past couple days and I'm not optimistic that battery life has been improved significantly.
    Last edited by xandros9; 04-26-17 at 03:37 PM.
    04-24-17 04:59 PM
    I have been on 720 for about four or five days and I can't really see any major visual degradation. Performance is snappy. I have not had the "device is cooling" message in a while and as it is, I think I might keep it this way if/when nougat arrives.
    04-24-17 05:14 PM
    It does make a difference in several use cases. The big one is using VR like in Cardboard. Big difference for me on a 2K display vs 1080P. In day-to-day use 2K is not a big deal.
    I think it matters for day to day use.

I tend to use my camera a fair bit, a good shot is easier to see on a 2K display. You can also get away with lower quality on a 1080p display.

Text sharpness is also nicer on a 2K display as well. While I do agree that 1080p for a smartphone is good enough (the caveat is that it must be a high quality panel), when a 2K option is available why not take advantage?
    04-25-17 03:07 AM
    There is something I don't understand. If I am not mistaken, the priv having a resolution of 2560x1440 means it has 2560 rows of lines with 1440 pixels on each.
    If you change the resolution to 1920x1080 that basically means you start painting 3x3 logical dots in 4x4 physical pixels.
    I understand there are very eficient HW ways to do it, but it necessary has to have e tremendous impact in the sharpeness of your display.
    For me it makes sense to jump to 1280x720 as you have a 2x2 to 1x1 relationship so sharpness is maintained.
    04-25-17 08:21 AM
    Has anybody found a way to jump between resolutions in a dynamic clear manner, the way S8 announced they would?
    04-25-17 08:23 AM
    It's amazing the lengths people will go to, and the performance people are willing to give up, to avoid finding 10 minutes to plug in.
    My thoughts exactly. For the most part, battery life depends on the user.
    04-25-17 08:30 AM
    If someone wants to try hypermiling in their car, are you going to immediately suggest that they just straight up get a bicycle or a Prius?
    If hypermiling is all they EVER do, then yes.
    04-25-17 08:39 AM
    switching back to 1440p. I didn't notice a difference in battery life.

One thing I did notice is that it screwed up the BBM icon in the Hub.
    04-25-17 10:31 AM
    People do this to their cars all the time. Look at all the shopping carts I see that once was a Civic/Lancers.

Just saying, most cars has been designed and tested to a specific and optimal performance, then they get turned into shopping carts. Everyone's needs are different.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    04-25-17 12:45 PM
    Based on AccuBattery power monitoring, I didn't notice any difference in power consumption.
    04-28-17 05:56 PM
    If anyone's wondering, this can also be used for other things... For instance, I hate how everything's so large on smartphones nowadays, seems like a waste of space, resolution etc.
    First I tried lowering the DPI, but as noted earlier, that breaks some icons and other graphic elements (e.g. BBM in Hub).
    Changing the resolution to a higher value does work, mostly. Aside from the buggy boot animation I had Camera crashing, fixed by clearing its data, the Picture Password seems to dislike it (not a huge deal with my Gear and Smart Lock) and it's impossible to take a regular screenshot. Notable works.

Anyway, this is what it looks like with 1800x3200 resolution (1.25 of the native):
    HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-notable-00008.jpg
    HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-notable-00009.jpg
    HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-notable-00010.jpg
    HOWTO: Reduce screen resolution, preserve battery life enhance framrate-notable-00007.jpg

Still trying to decide if it's worth the trouble with those glitches and who knows if any other will appear along the way, and if it will have an impact on battery life and performance with 50% more pixels...
    But this is how I think a 5.4" device should be used, could probably do with a bit smaller, but this seems fine for now. Having everything as huge as it is on Android by default, and iOS, for that matter, is so wasteful... I had more content fit on my 2.8" Windows Mobile 6 phone...
    05-31-17 04:29 AM
    For instance, I hate how everything's so large on smartphones nowadays,
    I understand where you are coming from, but, a lot of us with old eyes like the size as is.
    We don't have to use one hand to reach for phone, and the other to reach for reading glasses.
    A reliable, glitch free way of changing resolution would be nice though, keep us old farts and ya'll with young sharp eyes happy.
    05-31-17 05:58 AM
    I understand where you are coming from, but, a lot of us with old eyes like the size as is.
    We don't have to use one hand to reach for phone, and the other to reach for reading glasses.
    A reliable, glitch free way of changing resolution would be nice though, keep us old farts and ya'll with young sharp eyes happy.
    Couldn't agree more. I didn't mean make everything small with no other option, just that the DPI should be changeable to smaller values, as it always was with root etc. I am aware of people with bad eye sight, in fact, I'm one of them, but only on one eye, the other is great.

Me wonders if Nougat's DPI options allow for this out-of-the-box or are there also limitations...
    05-31-17 06:16 AM
    I am aware of people with bad eye sight
    My eyesight is great, for anything about 2 foot further than I can reach.

Me wonders if Nougat's DPI options allow for this out-of-the-box or are there also limitations...
    No clue on Nougat, curious myself. Maybe somebody(s) with more knowledge will inform us.
    05-31-17 08:44 AM
    Just an FYI. This app works like a charm to change dpi on the fly. You do have to reboot however to have all components resize properly, but if you just want to switch to native resolution to watch a video and switch back, it works great.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ee1.dpichanger

I use 720 x 1280 at 260 dpi
    Seems to make device overheat much less and make much more responsive.
    05-31-17 01:02 PM
    Thanks OP restore my love to Priv again
    08-17-17 12:59 AM
81 1234