On my Z10, I have my contacts stored on the device, and I do not sync the contact data with any online sources such as Outlook.com, Gmail, Facebook, or LinkedIn. Will this be possible on the Priv?
    10-27-15 01:55 AM
    On an Android you can do exactly the same as on your BlackBerry, meaning saving them locally. What do you do if you loose you phone? From where can you retrieve them. From your lost phone:-) . I would suggest that you use a cloud service to save your contacts.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 02:07 AM
    On my Z10, I have my contacts stored on the device, and I do not sync the contact data with any online sources such as Outlook.com, Gmail, Facebook, or LinkedIn. Will this be possible on the Priv?
    My god why?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 05:44 AM
    It will be possible to transfer your local contacts using the new Content Transfer app. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59981099

However, you will then have to to regular backups.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    10-27-15 06:11 AM
    It will be possible to transfer your local contacts using the new Content Transfer app. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59981099

However, you will then have to to regular backups.
    Hopefully there will be the same app in google Playstore to do it the other way round, or beeing able to manually backup most important data to SDCard or PC.
    10-27-15 07:58 AM
    You can use the native Contacts app on Android, but it will try to sync with your Gmail account.
    You can import/export from and to sim or .vcf files.
    10-27-15 08:05 AM
    I'm the same way. I do not back up my contacts to any cloud or e-mail address. I keep a old phone and my iPad with my contacts for backup.

To answer your question on android you can just keep you contacts on phone or sim like blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    cbzeduser likes this.
    10-27-15 08:15 AM
    I assume the BlackBerry Contacts App for Android will also let you manage your contacts similar to what we do on BB10 today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...contacts&hl=en

Not sure if anyone can confirm. We may need to see how it behaves once people get their hands on it.
    cbzeduser likes this.
    10-27-15 08:21 AM
    When you add a contact in Android 5.1, it allows you to choose either 'phone' or one of the accounts on the phone.

If you choose 'phone', it is stored locally. If you choose an account like gmail, then it syncs to that account in the cloud.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    cbzeduser likes this.
    10-27-15 08:48 AM
    You people know that you dont need a gmail (email) account to work with android...

You just need to sign up to a google account to get the apps from the playstore without having the gmail or calendar service.

Then you can sync your data to your computer, an exchange Server, or any other provider with sync capabilities.

Google sold the idea to people that you need to have a gmail account to work with android. Thats s� wrong!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 09:32 AM
    You people know that you dont need a gmail (email) account to work with android...

You just need to sign up to a google account to get the apps from the playstore without having the gmail or calendar service.

Then you can sync your data to your computer, an exchange Server, or any other provider with sync capabilities.

Google sold the idea to people that you need to have a gmail account to work with android. Thats s� wrong!

Posted via CB10
    I haven't created a fresh google account for years now, but from what i remember when you create your account a gmail address is also created for you. You don't have to use it, but it's created and that\s where you receive invoices for your app purchases.
    10-27-15 10:57 AM
    I assume the BlackBerry Contacts App for Android will also let you manage your contacts similar to what we do on BB10 today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...contacts&hl=en

Not sure if anyone can confirm. We may need to see how it behaves once people get their hands on it.
    Wow! That's encouraging to hear that the BB Contacts app will not be the default on the device
    10-28-15 01:44 PM
    Wow! That's encouraging to hear that the BB Contacts app will not be the default on the device
    Heh. I like the BB Contacts app. You can use the stock Android contact app I guess... but from what I've seen, it is pretty bad. Most people use a third party app like Contacts+ to handle their list. With Android, there will be a crap ton of apps to choose from.
    10-28-15 04:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    At one time, you did, in fact, have to create a Gmail account to set up an android phone. It was part of the setup of a new Android phone and there was no way around it.

It happened to us when we tried to setup my son's Galaxy S2 back in 2011. My wife already had a Google account tied to a non-gmail email account. We tried to use that, and it simply would not accept it. She was forced to create a Gmail account just to finish the setup.

Now, I don't know if things have changed since then regarding the android phone setup. When my son updated to the S4, we just used the same account from the S2.

I also already have a Google account tied to my non-gmail email account from my ISP, and intend to keep it that way. It was created way back before Gmail existed for public use. I use it now to access the patched Google Play Store on my Z10.

While Google does not make it the least bit easy to set up a Google account without creating a Gmail account too, it certainly can be done. You just have to watch the options carefully as you go through them and look for the option to use an existing email address. I just don't know if the Gmail requirement has changed for Android phones.

If it has, great.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 04:23 PM
    Ignore.

I hate when I hit "respond" to my own post instead of hitting "edit".
    10-28-15 04:25 PM
    At one time, you did, in fact, have to create a Gmail account to set up an android phone. It was part of the setup of a new Android phone and there was no way around it.

It happened to us when we tried to setup my son's Galaxy S2 back in 2011. My wife already had a Google account tied to a non-gmail email account. We tried to use that, and it simply would not accept it. She was forced to create a Gmail account just to finish the setup.

Now, I don't know if things have changed since then regarding the android phone setup. When my son updated to the S4, we just used the same account from the S2.

I also already have a Google account tied to my non-gmail email account from my ISP, and intend to keep it that way. It was created way back before Gmail existed for public use. I use it now to access the patched Google Play Store on my Z10.

While Google does not make it the least bit easy to set up a Google account without creating a Gmail account too, it certainly can be done. You just have to watch the options carefully as you go through them and look for the option to use an existing email address. I just don't know if the Gmail requirement has changed for Android phones.

If it has, great.

Posted via CB10
    I think the gmail requirement is done in order to receive receipts for paid apps. You can just create a dummy gmail account and just don't use it for anything other than the Android device.
    10-28-15 04:53 PM