I'm sure this has probably been discussed at some point in this forum, but as a new PRIV owner within the past month, I'd like to know. When I was on BlackBerry 10 all those years, I'd reboot the phone usually at least once a week to keep things running smooth. Any advice?
    11-22-16 11:42 AM
    I usually do it about once a week out of habit.
    11-22-16 11:50 AM
    Should be no need for it at all.

With that said there are times you will want to, usually after an app updates and goes insane, locking the CPU or something similar. It does happen but it's not frequent and it's not the OS.
    11-22-16 12:50 PM
    Thanks guys
    11-22-16 06:33 PM
    I also try to reboot about once a week but often forget. My Priv runs well and rarely lags.
    11-22-16 07:38 PM
    You will know when it is needed. I find once a week keeps things running smoothly. I think it really depends on what applications you run regularly.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-22-16 11:43 PM
    Every 3 or 4 days
    11-23-16 06:31 AM
    I'm sure this has probably been discussed at some point in this forum, but as a new PRIV owner within the past month, I'd like to know. When I was on BlackBerry 10 all those years, I'd reboot the phone usually at least once a week to keep things running smooth. Any advice?
    Actually there is NO need of regular reboots UNLESS you encounter any of the following (IMHO):
    1. Random heat up of your phone
    2. Battery suddenly drains like hell
    3. Jitters, stutters, lags
    4. Any unexpected behaviour (e.g. apps keep crashing etc.)
    FF22 likes this.
    11-23-16 06:47 AM
    I cleaned cash files and restarted my Priv last night before plugging it in. This is the result.
    Attached Thumbnails How often is a Reboot Needed?-38140.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    11-23-16 03:08 PM
    I dont know about the Priv, but weekly reboots are not necessary, i reboot my nexus every month to apply security update.
    11-23-16 04:18 PM
    It does help clean things up a bit, especially processes that were started with an app and remain active after the app is closed.

Reboots are recommended and proven to clear up bugs or minor issues that you experience on the phone, but think about issues or bugs going on behind the scenes you're not aware of. It's definitely not a bad thing and if anyone has any doubts about it doing anything other than straightening up an errant phone, take a look at your ram before and after a reboot and make note of the increase. A lot of that are the processes I was referring to being stopped. I have an android tablet with 1g of user ram available, it will get down to 500mbs with some intense apps slowing up a bit, do a reboot and I'm back to 1g and snappy apps. No different with the Priv.
    oldsoul123 and chuckiev79 like this.
    11-23-16 04:52 PM
    rarely I do it because I use the phone until it shuts down every night, then before I go to sleep, I plug in because it takes around 5hs for full charge.... is that bad? to wait until it turns off? will the OS be damaged for doing that?
    11-24-16 04:37 AM
    It does help clean things up a bit, especially processes that were started with an app and remain active after the app is closed.

Reboots are recommended and proven to clear up bugs or minor issues that you experience on the phone, but think about issues or bugs going on behind the scenes you're not aware of. It's definitely not a bad thing and if anyone has any doubts about it doing anything other than straightening up an errant phone, take a look at your ram before and after a reboot and make note of the increase. A lot of that are the processes I was referring to being stopped. I have an android tablet with 1g of user ram available, it will get down to 500mbs with some intense apps slowing up a bit, do a reboot and I'm back to 1g and snappy apps. No different with the Priv.
    This is exactly what happens to my priv almost daily. I have to clear cache and reboot because, as you say only about 500mb free, and then back to about a gb after. Do any of you think this is a, still lingering, "android marshmallow" memory leak?
    11-24-16 05:54 AM
    Is there any particular reason why are you checking available RAM?
    11-24-16 06:07 AM
    Is there any particular reason why are you checking available RAM?
    Sluggishness
    11-24-16 06:16 AM
    rarely I do it because I use the phone until it shuts down every night, then before I go to sleep, I plug in because it takes around 5hs for full charge.... is that bad? to wait until it turns off? will the OS be damaged for doing that?
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...hones-battery/
    Mauri5io likes this.
    11-24-16 07:07 AM
    Actually there is NO need of regular reboots UNLESS you encounter any of the following (IMHO):
    1. Random heat up of your phone
    2. Battery suddenly drains like hell
    3. Jitters, stutters, lags
    4. Any unexpected behaviour (e.g. apps keep crashing etc.)
    In other words, about once a week
    11-24-16 07:26 AM
    Sluggishness
    Then theres something wrong with bb implementation of android, because i have 200 MB of free RAM and phone is buttery smoith and responsive.
    Attached Thumbnails How often is a Reboot Needed?-screenshot_20161124-143524.jpg  
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    11-24-16 07:34 AM
    Have the PassPort for over 2 years travelling all over the globe and never had to reboot, what am I missing?
    11-24-16 09:08 AM
    Have the PassPort for over 2 years travelling all over the globe and never had to reboot, what am I missing?
    Then you are lucky. I had to reboot my BB10 devices every few days.
    11-24-16 09:18 AM
    Interesting! I thought battery life would be better discharging/charging completely. but leaving it between 50 to 80 %.... won't it leave residual load? and have to charge it often because battery doesn't last longer? I'm confused now
    11-24-16 09:30 AM
    I would recommend doing it at least once a week. Unless you get a software update then restart straight ager that. A restart isn't really needed that often. Just press the power button when its not being used and charge it when you need.
    11-24-16 09:30 AM
    Interesting! I thought battery life would be better discharging/charging completely. but leaving it between 50 to 80 %.... won't it leave residual load? and have to charge it often because battery doesn't last longer? I'm confused now
    Older battery types never had a 'memory' of how charged they were, so we needed to fully charge and fully discharge them to keep things running smoothly. But now with Li-ion batteries they don't like going below 20% and its best to keep them between the 50 - 90% charge range to keep the battery healthy and lasting. It won't leave any 'Residual Load'.
    Mauri5io likes this.
    11-24-16 09:33 AM