So I have been playing with a Priv in a test environment. I've got it configured on BB UEM (Unified Endpoint Manager, formerly BES). This allow secure work email and a work / personal partition on the phone.

I've noticed that the phone is getting kind of sluggish. Sees like apps take minutes to install. I sometimes tap screens & menu's a second time when they don't respond in a reasonable time.

I looked at the memory and was shocked to see it said "Average Memory Usage" is 2.2GB (80%) with 595MB free.

I've only installed a dozen or so apps, but now I see the phone memory is almost completely full.

What is your memory utilization? Really interested in comparing.

Roveer
    02-26-17 08:21 PM
    No problems here. Android is plenty smart these days in managing RAM. I have many apps installed, and push the phone pretty hard at times.
    Attached Thumbnails How much memory is your Priv using?  How sluggish has it become?-44384.jpg  
    02-26-17 08:25 PM
    Mine doing pretty good too so far for a year without much care required.

Do note that, the black themes does somehow bog down the phone, so I have return back to default white theme until the issue is fixed.
    02-26-17 09:15 PM
    RAM is supposed to be utilized as much as possible. Free RAM is wasted RAM. Once an app needs more RAM, Android shuts down one of the lesser priority processes and there's no need to worry about that.
    How much memory is your Priv using?  How sluggish has it become?-screenshot-27-feb-2017-08_54_41-.jpg

I don't have any performance issues, though some apps do take a relatively long time to install, but I think that's normal.

Poorly made apps can waste CPU time, have a memory leak or a lot of r/w operations in the background and that's what generally causes lags, not a high percentage of normally used memory.
    Clearing cache of apps can sometimes also help with some problems, not because caching is generally bad, it's actually supposed to speed various processes up, but because it can get corrupted etc. I've recently had Play Store start behaving funny and it fixed itself once I cleared its cache.
    02-27-17 02:02 AM
    RAM is supposed to be utilized as much as possible. Free RAM is wasted RAM. Once an app needs more RAM, Android shuts down one of the lesser priority processes and there's no need to worry about that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (27 Feb 2017 08_54_41).jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	418235

I don't have any performance issues, though some apps do take a relatively long time to install, but I think that's normal.

Poorly made apps can waste CPU time, have a memory leak or a lot of r/w operations in the background and that's what generally causes lags, not a high percentage of normally used memory.
    Clearing cache of apps can sometimes also help with some problems, not because caching is generally bad, it's actually supposed to speed various processes up, but because it can get corrupted etc. I've recently had Play Store start behaving funny and it fixed itself once I cleared its cache.
    I'm just finding that the Priv is slow in many regards. I opened chrome this morning and went to a news site. The articles started to fill in text first, then pictures etc. It was painful. A flagship device? I think not. I'm finding similar things all over the Priv. Hub is slow to start, inbox is slow to display, messages tapped are slow to open etc. This is with all apps closed (I'm an app closer). Some are saying that my phone is a dud. I'm thinking the priv itself as a device is a dud. Let's hope KEYone is better. I have a unique position on this because I have a S6 Active side by side with the Priv and to the extent possible have identical configurations on both. Exact same apps etc. This is really showing how poorly the Priv is working.
    02-27-17 11:10 AM
    I'm just finding that the Priv is slow in many regards. I opened chrome this morning and went to a news site. The articles started to fill in text first, then pictures etc. It was painful. A flagship device? I think not. I'm finding similar things all over the Priv. Hub is slow to start, inbox is slow to display, messages tapped are slow to open etc. This is with all apps closed (I'm an app closer). Some are saying that my phone is a dud. I'm thinking the priv itself as a device is a dud. Let's hope KEYone is better. I have a unique position on this because I have a S6 Active side by side with the Priv and to the extent possible have identical configurations on both. Exact same apps etc. This is really showing how poorly the Priv is working.
    Well, since you don't own every single Priv, you probably shouldn't be making assumptions about all the rest of them. The vast majority work perfectly fine. Including mine.
    On another note, I don't recall whether you mentioned which model of Priv that you have and who your carrier is and what OS you are on along with the security patch version. Perhaps you said it earlier.
    02-27-17 03:37 PM
    Well, since you don't own every single Priv, you probably shouldn't be making assumptions about all the rest of them. The vast majority work perfectly fine. Including mine.
    On another note, I don't recall whether you mentioned which model of Priv that you have and who your carrier is and what OS you are on along with the security patch version. Perhaps you said it earlier.
    I guess I should have said "My Priv", my bad.

My Priv works perfectly fine. Never an error. It's just annoyingly slow. Do keep in mind, BB priced, marketed and sold this phone as a "flagship" This isn't some silly pre-paid phone. Is there a situation where installing less than a dozen apps and having none of them open simultaneously cause the phone to get really laggy? The S6 Active that is configured identically with exactly the same OS and same apps is not annoyingly laggy. That's my point of comparison.

My Priv is a STV100-1
    Carrier is AT&T
    OS is latest available 6.0.1 with latest security patches.

If there is a newer batch of priv's that works better than an older batch, that's even more disconcerting.
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-27-17 07:45 PM
    I guess I should have said "My Priv", my bad.

My Priv works perfectly fine. Never an error. It's just annoyingly slow. Do keep in mind, BB priced, marketed and sold this phone as a "flagship" This isn't some silly pre-paid phone. Is there a situation where installing less than a dozen apps and having none of them open simultaneously cause the phone to get really laggy? The S6 Active that is configured identically with exactly the same OS and same apps is not annoyingly laggy. That's my point of comparison.

My Priv is a STV100-1
    Carrier is AT&T
    OS is latest available 6.0.1 with latest security patches.

If there is a newer batch of priv's that works better than an older batch, that's even more disconcerting.
    02-27-17 07:45 PM
    The higher the RAM usage, the better, on Android.
    02-27-17 08:05 PM
    The higher the RAM usage, the better, on Android.
    I'm coming to understand this concept. My 2.2GB of ram usage is not necessarily a bad thing. But I do know that the phone was faster when I first started with it and the only real difference right now is the addition of apps. Keep in mind, I'm not one to leave apps open. So something is making the phone laggy to the point of annoyance. Especially when compared to A S6 Active with the exact same configuration.
    02-27-17 08:28 PM
    I'm coming to understand this concept. My 2.2GB of ram usage is not necessarily a bad thing. But I do know that the phone was faster when I first started with it and the only real difference right now is the addition of apps. Keep in mind, I'm not one to leave apps open. So something is making the phone laggy to the point of annoyance. Especially when compared to A S6 Active with the exact same configuration.
    Have you tried going into the apps in settings and clearing the storage cache? Have you restarted. Priv probably having a hormonal moment or it just doesn't like that S7. Might have to separate them for a while. You're doing way to many comparison tests and you're obviously favoring the S7. Stop. Throw it in the drawer for a while and let them cool off. Or, perhaps, gasp!.... The Priv just doesn't you!
    02-27-17 09:54 PM
    I would do some housekeeping, like clear my cache and make sure an app is causing the issue. A number of people have found a corrupted sim or SD card can cause the sluggishness.
    02-28-17 06:32 AM
    I would do some housekeeping, like clear my cache and make sure an app is causing the issue. A number of people have found a corrupted sim or SD card can cause the sluggishness.
    Cleared the cache for all apps. Rebooted. Still pokey. Like I said, its not unusable by any means, just annoying. Hopefully KEYone is zippier.
    02-28-17 07:28 AM
    Cleared the cache for all apps. Rebooted. Still pokey. Like I said, its not unusable by any means, just annoying. Hopefully KEYone is zippier.
    Are you clearing them by going to each app, or are you going to Settings-USB&Storage-Internal Memory-Cached Data and clearing that. That is what will help. Clear it and reboot by holding down the powerbutton until it restarts.
    newcollector likes this.
    02-28-17 08:11 AM
    Are you clearing them by going to each app, or are you going to Settings-USB&Storage-Internal Memory-Cached Data and clearing that. That is what will help. Clear it and reboot by holding down the powerbutton until it restarts.
    Good to know. Performed those steps. Still pokey, but when I compare to S6 A side by side it seems to be keeping up a little better.

I think I'm being a little too picky after watching installs take literally minutes. It's not zippy, but it is going on 3 years since its release.

Thanks for all the tips I think clearing the cache and rebooting did improve things a bit.
    PHughes likes this.
    02-28-17 10:24 AM
    Mine's very slugish... It's pretty well documented that the priv has pretty poor performance, especially compared with toher phones with similar specs

Fortunately the Keyone with about the same Raw power seems to be much better optimized, so I'm expecting a boost in performance on Android 7.1
    02-28-17 11:12 AM
    It does randomly seem to 'slow down' but I'd never say it's sluggish. Every android device has these random slowdowns, it's the nature of Android since forever. It's just a demanding OS and the apps made for it almost always seem poorly optimized (like Facebook messenger or snap chat).

If you notice your phone is hot all the time or your battery is draining fast, it means there's a process running and slowing down your device. When it gets hot the processor throttles. Any phone with the sd808 will do this.

Curious to see if nougat solved this, but wouldn't hold my breath.
    02-28-17 11:39 AM
    Good to know. Performed those steps. Still pokey, but when I compare to S6 A side by side it seems to be keeping up a little better.

I think I'm being a little too picky after watching installs take literally minutes. It's not zippy, but it is going on 3 years since its release.

Thanks for all the tips I think clearing the cache and rebooting did improve things a bit.
    Just a thought, but maybe you could consider not continously comparing the phones side by side. I'm sure that someone else is also comparing the S6 side by side with some other phone and complaining that it is too slow. Just let it go. Use one or the other and carry on. Just saying.
    02-28-17 01:27 PM
    OP, I would also make sure I actually close apps once I am done with them and not just have them minimized. Also as others have noted, certain Social apps will drag your phone down if you do not limit notifications and don't control what they do in the background. Snapchat is notorious about this and so is Facebook.

I don't run Snapchat and I have turned off all notifications on Facebook and Twitter. I do not use Facebook Messenger. My Priv runs great.
    02-28-17 03:03 PM
    The only sluggish app on my Priv is the CB app. It takes a good minute to update each page. Everything else is zippy. Some photo-intensive web pages do load the text first, then the images, but the delay is less than a second.
    02-28-17 03:47 PM
    I had to do two things with my old Priv to keep it snappy. 1. Hard boot once a month-- Long press power button for 32 seconds. 2. Clear cached once a month-- Settings, Storage &USB, Internal storage, Cached data, clear cached/yes. Do the clear cached step first. My DTEK60 gets some benifit from doing this but not very often does it require. Priv a spinning machine.
    02-28-17 04:11 PM
    OP, I would also make sure I actually close apps once I am done with them and not just have them minimized. Also as others have noted, certain Social apps will drag your phone down if you do not limit notifications and don't control what they do in the background. Snapchat is notorious about this and so is Facebook.

I don't run Snapchat and I have turned off all notifications on Facebook and Twitter. I do not use Facebook Messenger. My Priv runs great.
    I'm a manic app closer. I never leave anything open (close, not just minimize). So I know that drill. I also don't use any social media apps. One thing I am running that is probably a drain on the system is novalauncher so I can do some cool stuff like have unread badges. I don't think many people's Priv's look like this:

How much memory is your Priv using?  How sluggish has it become?-priv.jpg
    02-28-17 04:42 PM