As the only users of a BlackBerry android, how is the keyboard experience?

I have a Q10, Classic and Passport. I may get the Mercury when it's time for a new phone. You Priv users have the first experience of running Android with a physical keyboard.

Is it delightful like the previous bb10 devices in terms of being a workhorse and keyboard shortcuts? What can future Mercury users expect of a keyboard /android experience?
    01-04-17 05:21 PM
    It's not as bad as some try to make it out to be, but i find it funny that i bought it specifically to have a PKB Android and i almost never use the physical keyboard. It's not that i don't like it, i honestly just forget it's there.
    01-04-17 05:36 PM
    Almost never used the keyboard. Switched to a DTEK60.

OP, are you trying for a new record for starting threads?
    andy957 likes this.
    01-04-17 05:39 PM
    Meh....
    01-04-17 06:04 PM
    Am wondering also as i am debating buying the priv before mercury. I am used to a iphone 6 plus and previous Q10 which i loved, except for a few issues
    01-04-17 10:42 PM
    It's not as bad as some try to make it out to be, but i find it funny that i bought it specifically to have a PKB Android and i almost never use the physical keyboard. It's not that i don't like it, i honestly just forget it's there.
    Then why use the Priv? Over other phones of you don't use pkb
    01-04-17 10:44 PM
    Coming from a Q10, i was struggling at the beggining because the form size is not the same and was clicking wrong keys and empty spaces like a mandman.
    It was tough.

But after 2 weeks using it, my fingers already memorized the new positions and im fine.

Q10 keyboard is superior IMO, but nothing that cannot be forgotten with some patience and practice.

If you are interested in the priv because of hte phys keyboard and cannot stand touch ones, the go for it. Its worht
    FF22 likes this.
    01-04-17 10:50 PM
    Not interested in the Priv at all. I was discussing android with a physical keyboard. The Priv happens to be the only phone with that until the Mercury comes out.
    01-05-17 07:32 AM
    I went from a Classic to a PRIV.

The Classic keyboard is better than the PRIV's, for me: the keys are taller and action might be better: the space bar, oddly enough, is what gets me most.

However, the "flick up" feature to select a word (similar to Passport) really works well for me.

I am also biased towards the PRIV because it is a slider: I had a 9810 Torch and LOVED it big-time.

So, don't be afraid of the PRIV: it's a good PKB - only slightly inferior to the Classic and overall it's a very smooth unit. I do recommend it and enjoy it.
    newcollector likes this.
    01-05-17 09:17 AM
    I went from a Classic to a PRIV.

The Classic keyboard is better than the PRIV's, for me: the keys are taller and action might be better: the space bar, oddly enough, is what gets me most.

However, the "flick up" feature to select a word (similar to Passport) really works well for me.

I am also biased towards the PRIV because it is a slider: I had a 9810 Torch and LOVED it big-time.

So, don't be afraid of the PRIV: it's a good PKB - only slightly inferior to the Classic and overall it's a very smooth unit. I do recommend it and enjoy it.
    What's frustrating (for those who care...and there are many who don't, so why they keep announcing they have 'moved on' from keyboards as if somehow they are a few notches higher up in the evolution of the human race...AS IF...continues to astound me) is there is really no consistency across BlackBerry devices with the keyboards. All of them are quite unique in fact, and that couldn't be more evident Q10 / Classic / Passport / PRIV. All completely different. BlackBerry would do well to at least try a consistent approach for a while and work on perfecting it rather than constantly re-inventing the wheel.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-05-17 09:27 AM
    What's frustrating (for those who care...and there are many who don't, so why they keep announcing they have 'moved on' from keyboards as if somehow they are a few notches higher up in the evolution of the human race...AS IF...continues to astound me) is there is really no consistency across BlackBerry devices with the keyboards. All of them are quite unique in fact, and that couldn't be more evident Q10 / Classic / Passport / PRIV. All completely different. BlackBerry would do well to at least try a consistent approach for a while and work on perfecting it rather than constantly re-inventing the wheel.
    Your point is quite valid.

Personally, I can absorb this sort of change without getting too wound out about it, fortunately. The PRIV with the Classic's keyboard would have rocked big time, although the taller keys would have resulted in a VERY tall phone when the slide was extended.

It's an imperfect world, unfortunately - the costs associated with developing a different keyboard for each unique phone is probably part of what sank BB's hardware division - it's also part of what made each new phone so interesting to follow / use.
    01-05-17 09:47 AM
    All of them are quite unique in fact, and that couldn't be more evident Q10 / Classic / Passport / PRIV. All completely different. BlackBerry would do well to at least try a consistent approach for a while and work on perfecting it rather than constantly re-inventing the wheel.
    The Q5 keys are spaced out and very clicky.

Q10 keyboards are more 'squashed' together but more premium feeling.

Classic has a bigger Q10 keyboard that's a little more spaced out and a nice improvement.

Passport keys are huge and a pleasure to type on but wish there was a 4 row keybaord.

Priv keys are a mixture of Q5 and Classic. Definitely unique. (again)

The "Mercury" keybaord, it almost looks like they have placed the keys from the P'9983 on it! Take a close look!

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    01-05-17 10:40 AM
    It seems with Mercury BlackBerry may have struck a chord...a keyboard design/layout most will find satisfactory and a screen size that works with Android but still large enough to be functional beyond text and email. And unmistakably a BlackBerry through and through. TCL should now push ahead and refine this basic approach going forward and have multiple trim levels, colours, etc.

For example the basic design of the iPhone has barely changed in years. But it has been refined. For them, updating the home button, making the device a bit thinner, or removing the headphone jack is a big deal. BlackBerry / TCL needs to get to that level of refinement with a BlackBerry design. We should be talking internals, better speakers, colour options, etc rather than the layout of the entire device (including the keyboard design and layout) every time a new BlackBerry device is released.

Innovation is good, but consistency is perhaps more important when it comes to identifying with your customers and resonating in the marketplace.
    bigjman likes this.
    01-05-17 11:46 AM
    The virtual keyboard is one of my favorites and the physical keyboard is pretty great. Personally, I like them both a lot.
    newcollector likes this.
    01-05-17 12:59 PM
    Not interested in the Priv at all. I was discussing android with a physical keyboard. The Priv happens to be the only phone with that until the Mercury comes out.
    Android with a physical keyboard is amazing. I've been using the PRIV since release on Verizon and I absolutely love having the PKB and the Android app selection. As far as the keyboard on the Mercury, I'm sure it will be amazing but it will be left up to the consumer to decide.

We can't say much about the Mercury or its physical keyboard until we get to see and touch a production model. The vids, teasers and renders and all non production models from my understanding. I was looking forward to a bit more info yesterday but am very happy with my PRIV.

Why not buy the PRIV unlocked and give it a shot, you can most certainly sell it and take a small loss when the Mercury comes out and upgrade.
    01-05-17 01:19 PM
    From my point of view, the physical keyboard is perfect. Not to big, not to small, easy o use, fast, and it has many functions.
    01-05-17 01:36 PM
    When the keyboard is made properly it is actually like any other BlackBerry keyboard. I owned such a unit.

Any complaints about it must re: the poorly made ones, which appear to be more common than not.

If you get a poorly made keyboard, then it is too mushy, feedback is not as good, etc things like that.

Overall, the QC has been the worst with the Priv.

#whatisclassic
    01-05-17 01:57 PM
    It is impossible to make all BlackBerry pkb's the same. Devices are different sizes, so the keyboards have to change for each device. The Priv's pkb is actually a bit wider than the some but it feels different due to the slider function. Personally, I like it and I came from the Passport. Before that the Z10, and the 9810 and the 9800. It beats the Torch keyboards by a mile.

The capacitive capabilities are great. Sure makes navigation more accurate and editing articles quicker.
    01-05-17 03:55 PM
    The main source of these questions are to speculate on the OPERTATING SYSTEM with keyboard use.
    01-05-17 05:40 PM
    I feel like BlackBerry has done a great job getting their first pkb to work well with the android OS. Keyboard quick launches, swiping up and back. It all works well. I had a Q10 for a while and it was nice but I enjoy this pkb as much or more. I would imagine they are optimizing the keyboard to work with Nouget as well. I think when mercury goes on sale the first time I'll upgrade.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-05-17 06:14 PM
    Coming from a Q10, i was struggling at the beggining because the form size is not the same and was clicking wrong keys and empty spaces like a mandman.
    It was tough.

But after 2 weeks using it, my fingers already memorized the new positions and im fine.

Q10 keyboard is superior IMO, but nothing that cannot be forgotten with some patience and practice.

If you are interested in the priv because of hte phys keyboard and cannot stand touch ones, the go for it. Its worht
    Practically my exact same experience. I've had two Q10s. Just love the pkb on it. Switching to the Priv was not easy with its less tactile feedback. I could type touch with the Q10, but it took a few days only to acclimate to the Priv. It's the best hybrid out there, in fact the only one, until the Mercury arrives finally. I may just cave in and get it as well.
    01-06-17 05:33 AM
    Your point is quite valid.

Personally, I can absorb this sort of change without getting too wound out about it, fortunately. The PRIV with the Classic's keyboard would have rocked big time, although the taller keys would have resulted in a VERY tall phone when the slide was extended.

It's an imperfect world, unfortunately - the costs associated with developing a different keyboard for each unique phone is probably part of what sank BB's hardware division - it's also part of what made each new phone so interesting to follow / use.
    Ditto.

The Priv pkb ain't perfect. I still prefer the pkb on my Q10, but the Priv pkb is no slouch when you've acclimated to it.

From the press pics and initial videos, the Mercury looks like it goes back to the Classic or Q10 pkb design, so I'm really looking forward to that.
    glwerry likes this.
    01-06-17 06:04 AM
    I got the PRIV after the Classic. I think its keyboard is similar in size.
    Looking back to my bold 9700 I now wonder how I ever could type on that. It;s so small.
    But even when it does 'feel' more fragile it does work and is a great keyboard. Evenso, after more than a month of using the PRIV, the stats go in favor of the VKB. 55%-45%. Mostly I use its track pad functionality and for lengthy replies.
    So instead of 1 great keyboard, you have 2
    01-06-17 06:34 AM
    I went from the Passport to the Priv. I had the original Bold, then a Torch slider model and the non-slider model before moving to the Z10, then Passport.

I bought the Priv during the Black Friday sale. The keyboard seemed about like the Torch slider, but I had an awful time with it initially after switching. I tired to use it exclusively though and now I am as comfortable with it as I was the Passport. In some respects I am more comfortable with it. I can still use the on screen keyboard, and do for short text entry, but I prefer the physical keyboard, and it is great to use for scrolling. That alone is a nice feature.
    01-06-17 11:34 AM
    I use the keyboard all the time and it is almost perfectly integrated into the Android OS. The only bug I have is that it doesn't work when making a caption on a Snapchat video/photo. Hopefully they fix that for the Mercury because there probably won't be an option for using a virtual keyboard on that device.
    01-08-17 10:31 PM
33 12