So, Bedside mode is one of my favorite BB10 features and I found a way, cobbled together from a few threads here, so credit to anyone who has posted pieces of this information on these forums, to sort of fake it on the Priv, at least well enough to make me happy. I thought I would put these things together in a single thread that would be easier for people to find.

NOTE: One thing I've found about Android, it can do a lot of stuff, it's a pain in the rear to really do any one thing because it requires you to do a lot of things to do the one thing but once it's setup there isn't too much to complain about.

Ok, so to fake bedside mode it's a combination of 2 (or 3 things, depending if you want it to go into bedside mode automatically or not).

These 2 (or 3) things are:

1. Daydream mode
    2. Priority Alerts/Interruptions
    4. 3 sir
    3. Downtime

So first things first, if you want this to kick in automatically when you set your phone to charge or in a dock, you will want to setup Daydream mode. This will automatically trigger the action you set Daydream mode to perform when the phone docks or starts to charge (more details below).

I'm going to assume that you know how to navigate the phone's basic menus.

• Settings --> Display --> Daydream
    • Set it to use the clock, then click the gear icon and check the box next to Night Mode (you really don't have to put it on Night Mode if you like a bright clock, but I like a dim clock at night). The style is your preference.
    • Click the overflow button and select "When to daydream"
    • I have "Either" selected, you can chose if you want it daydreaming in a dock or not, I don't have a dock, but I might eventually.
    • Back out of the Daydream menu

Now you want to setup Priority alerting/Interruptions to define what you want alerting you through the bedside mode.

Settings --> Sound & Notification --> Interruptions
    Here is where you can get granular with what you want coming through, to simulate bedside mode you can turn off all of the Priority Interruptions on this screen. I always want calls to come through because if someone is calling me on this number, it's pretty important so I have Calls set as my only Priority Interruption. You can get very granular on this screen with what notifications get through but I am going to leave it at this because I'm trying to show you how to simulate Bedside mode. This method also allows all alarms to function as normal.

Here is another decision point. If you want an automatic bedside mode, you can setup Downtime on this same screen. Downtime is when you want the phone to automatically go into and out of the configured Interruption mode. If you want bedside mode on weekdays from 11PM - 6AM, you setup your downtime to be M, T, W, Th, F 11PM - 6AM. The downside to this is that you can't seem to have separate profiles for multiple day ranges. You can then choose for no interruptions to come through or just the Priority interruptions to come through.

Once you setup Interruptions and Downtime (if you want), save all the changes and completely back out of that screen to the home screen. This next part can be a little interesting too.

So you're ready to enable your fake Bedside mode ... you want to plug your phone in next to you, you want the dim clock to turn on and you want your notifications turned off and only the Priority notifications (or none) to come through. Go to the home page of the phone and click one of the volume buttons. This brings up the volume change screen at the top. On this screen there are 3 choices, Do not Disturb, Priority and Normal. Click the Priority star. When you do this you will have a varying number of choices depending on other settings:

• Indefinitely: Self explanitory
    • For one hour: You can change this to 1, 2, 3, 4 or 8 hour chunks
    • Until your downtime ends: This respects the downtime settings and returns your phone to Normal at the end of your next downtime window
    • Until next alarm: If you have an alarm set.

I don't believe you have to pick "Until your downtime ends" unless you want Priority mode turned on before your Downtime mode would normally turn on. It should do it automatically, just know this will show up as an option if you have Downtime mode enabled and configured.

I use "Until next alarm". I go to bed at varying times of the night and I have an alarm set on the phone for the next morning in case my alarm clock doesn't wake me up. Before I go to bed I set the phone in Priority mode where, based on my config above, the phone will only let phone calls through, and I set it to stay that way until the next alarm at which point all of my notifications go back to normal and I'm ready to start the day refreshed because my phone didn't bother me through the night.

As you can see, you can get as granular as you want. If you only want text messages from your grandmother to come through at night, you can set that.

Please let me know what you think about this, if I've made any mistakes I apologize and will work to fix them within the post as they are found. If you have any other questions, ask away. I've been trying to figure out how to make this phone do the best of BB10 where it is possible. I loved my BB10 phone, but I cannot complain about the lack of an app gap with this phone. I'm all in on it and will continue to try to post tips as I figure them out.
    howarmat, Wbrian, The 411 and 47 others like this.
    11-10-15 07:17 PM
    Awesome, still considering if this should be put into a tips and trick thread...
    11-10-15 09:14 PM
    Thanks! I'll try to keep writing these up as I find ways to make the Priv even more awesome.
    11-10-15 09:16 PM
    Great job... and Thank you. Mods This should be a Sticky.
    Phinhead54 and Anilu7 like this.
    11-10-15 09:28 PM
    And I thought BB10 had a lot of work-arounds .

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 09:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just goes to show how much work goes into to making BB10 look so easy.
    11-10-15 09:52 PM
    Great job!!!
    tanya49 and Acchaladka like this.
    11-10-15 10:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    From what I've seen, doing almost anything on Android requires workarounds.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    11-10-15 10:27 PM
    Great share. BUT OMGosh! Honestly I had to stop reading, so many places to go, and things to set.

Again, thank you. You're providing a great solution for something I count on personally, as I'm sure many others do.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    11-10-15 10:37 PM
    I wasn't overly concerned with bedside mode but I love this post. It shows where bb10 certainly made things a whole lot easier but with a little work android seems to do it better. I got a blackberry when its competition was a timeport pager and have never owned an android or iphone. I'm hoping to find a lot more of this.
    (BTW I banged out this post on the best keyboard I've ever typed on)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 10:40 PM
    Thanks for the kind words all!

sam81 likes this.
    11-11-15 06:53 AM
    There's enough faking already going on in my bedroom...
    11-11-15 07:06 AM
    Appreciate the workaround but there has to be a better solution than going through all of this.
    11-11-15 07:19 AM
    Thank you so much for this thread, it most definitely should be a sticky. There are only two things that are holding me back from the Priv:

1) Beside mode (now solved)
    2) It looks like you need a degree in graphics design to be able to create a clean home page.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 07:20 AM
    Appreciate the workaround but there has to be a better solution than going through all of this.
    Once you go through it it's not as bad as it seems. I just wanted to be extra descriptive.

donnation, sam81 and Acchaladka like this.
    11-11-15 07:25 AM
    Once you go through it it's not as bad as it seems. I just wanted to be extra descriptive.

Understood, will definitely give it a try. Thanks!
    11-11-15 07:26 AM
    I posted this yesterday in new thread but in one sentence . Much better full explanation and options OP
    It's a great option except having to change the priority mode every time. But I only need that if away from family.
    Thanks for all the details!

posted from my Priv!
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 11-11-15 at 07:57 AM.
    Phinhead54 likes this.
    11-11-15 07:32 AM
    I use bedside mode every night when I go to bed - swipe down from top, press an icon. OP great work putting this together. These are the kind of things that make people love Android (they CAN make their phone perform exactly as they like), but it's the reason I'm strongly considering an iPhone instead of the Priv. If I'm going to give up the simplicity and super productivity of BB10 in order to get apps, am I really going to go through all the work to setup an Android phone the way I want, and if I do will I just end up hating Android because it takes so much damn work? At least with Apple I know what I'm getting and what I'm not, and I feel like I could start just using my phone out of the box. Apple's approach is the same as BB10's (you get what you get), except Apple has apps and BB10 is super fast and productive to use.
    11-11-15 08:28 AM
    I use bedside mode every night when I go to bed - swipe down from top, press an icon. OP great work putting this together. These are the kind of things that make people love Android (they CAN make their phone perform exactly as they like), but it's the reason I'm strongly considering an iPhone instead of the Priv. If I'm going to give up the simplicity and super productivity of BB10 in order to get apps, am I really going to go through all the work to setup an Android phone the way I want, and if I do will I just end up hating Android because it takes so much damn work? At least with Apple I know what I'm getting and what I'm not, and I feel like I could start just using my phone out of the box. Apple's approach is the same as BB10's (you get what you get), except Apple has apps and BB10 is super fast and productive to use.
    No bedside mode on iPhone. God I hate keyboard, file mgt and integration of calendar, email, contacts on iPhone. Oh that's right. They don't have it all integrated. I had iPhone 6. Hated it. Priv is night and day ...
    Besides once you have it set up on Priv it's done. This took all of 20 seconds to do. And you don't need to be technical.

posted from my Priv!
    11-11-15 08:33 AM
    Nice job. 2 questions:
    1. When I choose priority for notifications, I get only 2 options: indefinitely and 1 hour. I don't get the other 2 options mentioned. Anybody know why?
    2. I've tried these settings, and they work for a while. However, when I wake up in the morning, it's a black screen. Not sure why the clock isn't staying open?

Thanks again.

11-11-15 08:52 AM
    Nice job. 2 questions:
    1. When I choose priority for notifications, I get only 2 options: indefinitely and 1 hour. I don't get the other 2 options mentioned. Anybody know why?
    2. I've tried these settings, and they work for a while. However, when I wake up in the morning, it's a black screen. Not sure why the clock isn't staying open?

Thanks again.

1. It means you don't have an alarm enabled or Downtime mode configured.

2. It could be the phone sleep settings putting the phone to sleep.

11-11-15 08:58 AM
    1. It means you don't have an alarm enabled or Downtime mode configured.

2. It could be the phone sleep settings putting the phone to sleep.
    1. I have downtime configured and an alarm set. That's why I think it's strange I don't get the same options as you.
    2. You aren't experiencing this problem at all? I don't believe I've tweaked any specific sleep settings.
    11-11-15 09:22 AM
    Thanks for the info! I wish there was a way to adjust the alarm on the fly like bb10. Just roll the "ball" on the analog clock and your done.

11-11-15 09:46 AM
    Thank you so much for this.
    I really really like my Priv, and it grows on me a little more every day.
    But it's only now that I realize how brilliant and well engineered the Blackberry version of "Bedside Mode" is, along with the beautifully simple Blackberry 10 clock (which looks incredible on a Passport sized display!)
    I hope Blackberry eventually builds this into their version of Android.
    Acchaladka likes this.
    11-11-15 09:53 AM
    BlackBerry should come up with a bedside mode app!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 09:58 AM
116 123 ...