Anyone B1aze
    11-07-15 12:05 AM
    Gmail limitation...not a BlackBerry or Android issue at all. Any newer accounts does not support push from Google and the rest I would assume will be stopping soon.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.e9VZCuhbLlU

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 12:29 AM
    Sync as in read/unread messages, push refers to receiving new messages.

Two different things.

Push is enabled by default, want to test set up your account, send yourself an email and see what happens.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    11-07-15 12:29 AM
    Sync as in read/unread messages, push refers to receiving new messages.

Two different things.

Push is enabled by default, want to test set up your account, send yourself an email and see what happens.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    .... so, you've got a Priv, eh?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 12:31 AM
    Pay for Google apps so you can add as EAS. Gmail free pulls as imap in hub. Or use inbox by Gmail...
    11-07-15 12:34 AM
    I have an HTC One M8 (Android) that receives Gmail emails in a nanosecond after being sent. Same occurrence with Gmail on my BlackBerry Classic. Thus, it doesn't make sense to me why my PRIV takes 5-10 minutes to receive emails.

ADDENDUM: Around 5:00 a.m. EST, I decided to reboot my device. There were 26 new updates, in addition to all of the updates I performed at the time of purchase. After the reboot and performing all of the updates, my device even seemed to perform faster. Most importantly, after sending myself a test email, the email pushed through in seconds. Many of the updates had to do with Blackberry, including the Hub. Hope rebooting and performing these updates solves your push email issues as well.

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Last edited by BarefootBerry; 11-07-15 at 04:50 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-07-15 02:57 AM
    This is not true at all. I've been a long time androd user, since I switched from my bb torch years ago. Android uses something called Google Cloud Messaging which is their version of push notification. You can read an overview here or a more technical overview here. This has technology is very pervasive on the android platform and enables near instantaneous notification and data sharing among multiple devices (ie. phone, tablet, computer, chrome browser, etc). Very powerful stuff. Aside from the application of this in messaging and email, check out what is possible with third party applications such as pushbullet. It will blow your mind.

Now for the original questions. Push email notifications - I just got my priv today and can confirm that it does in fact reiceve mail notification with in a few seconds of a message being sent. I just tested this now. With that said however, there are many ways you can set up email on Android phones. There are many third party clients that use legacy transports such as POP and IMAP. It looks like the default client in the priv, BB Hub some non-standard sync to a google account. From what I've seen thus far, it does not seem to be set up to use the GCM. I noticed this when I set it up as it setting for a sync duration in the configuration. After testing, the notification via the BB Hub are certainly not pushed.

The way to properly set up any android phone to use the GCM is to use the account feature in the android settings menu. Here is how you do this on the Priv:

1. On the Priv's scren use your finger to slide down from the top screen. The little notification tray will open, then slide down again to open a the setting menu. Yes, you have to slide down twice to see this option.
    2. Click the gear icon in the to right hand corner
    3. Go down to the personal section and select accounts
    4. If you have accounts listed there, the email should be pushed - note I believe you must have the gmail app installed. Not sure if the priv comes with this by default. My apps where restored from the cloud when I did the initial set up.
    5. If you need to add a gmail account, select add account and follow the prompts.

Once you have this setup, all your google apps associated with the google account will be "push" enabled. This include, email, messenger, calendar, drive, any google store app that support this feature, etc.

Hope this helps.

B
    11-07-15 04:49 AM
    I selected use push if available

11-07-15 06:15 AM
    I selected use push if available

Yes, this is what you need to do.

1) Make sure you've got the updated versions of Hub and BlackBerry Services from Google Play.

2) Go into system settings --> accounts --> hub and select account settings -- then select your Gmail account. Crank sync internal to whatever you want and enable "use push if supported". Your Gmail will now be pushed.

11-07-15 10:48 PM
    My Google is for business... It's not a gmail address. I should be able to use Push.
    11-07-15 11:40 PM
    If it's a Google for Business account you should be able to go into the account settings and set the sync interval to push.
    11-07-15 11:44 PM
    Reboot and check google play for updates!

11-08-15 12:12 AM