One of the greatest strength of the BB10 was its ability let users customize LED notifications. BlackBerry incorporated our beloved LED to the Priv, but setting up the LED notifications tailoring to individual user's needs requires significant time investment. In this tread, I aim to provide you with a step-by-step direction on how to set up LED notification for different apps and contacts.

Please do not hesitate to contribute, and correct any inaccuracies. Thank you.

Caution: Below is only tested on the LITE version of Light Flow app.
    I found that the paid version of Light Flow would not give the desired results if you set contact specific SMS/MMS LED color on top of the default messenger LED notification.

Requirement: Light Flow Lite App. Free via Google Play Store

I recommend you make a running list of different LED light color as you setup. Unlike BB10, there is no unified place where you can setup the LED notifications. You will be navigating through multiple settings in various apps and stock android settings.

Black Berry Hub

I encourage all Priv users to disable gmail sync and use the Hub exclusively for emails. I have setup one personal e-mail account and one exchange account. Instructions on how to disable gmail sync is found here.

LED Setting Location:
    • In the hub swipe right from the left edge to bring up the main hub screen.
    • Go to Settings
    • Under Accounts, select the email account you want to setup.
    • Make sure "Pulse notification light" is "On".
    • Choose LED color of your choice under "Notification light color".
    • Repeat above step for other e-mail accounts.

SMS/MMS (Assuming the messenger as a default application)

LED Setting Location:
    • Go to Settings (Android)
    • Go to Sounds & notification
    • Make sure "Pulse notification light" is "On".
    • Select Messenger
    • Turn "On" "Customize LED Color"
    • Choose "LED Color" right under the "Customize LED Color" tab.

Twitter (Assuming you are using the official Twitter App)
    The LED Customization is possible with the paid version of Light Flow app.

LED Setting Location:
    • Open Twitter App
    • Tap on the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
    • Select "Settings"
    • Tap on your account name.
    • Scroll through the bottom and turn "ON" Notification light.
    • I have yet to find how to change the color of the light. I believe the default is Red. I suggest you use other colors when setting up other accounts to distinguish twitter from other notifications.

Whatsapp (Assuming you are using the official Whatsapp App)
    The LED Customization is possible with the paid version of Light Flow app.

LED Setting Location:
    • Open Whatsapp.
    • Tap on the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
    • Select "Notifications"
    • Select LED color under the "Light" tab.

Contact Specific SMS/MMS (Requires Light Flow Lite)

• Open Light Flow Lite.
    • Tap on three horizontal bar icon to bring up the menu.
    • Select Notification settings.
    • Click "+" with the red circle to add.
    • Swipe to left to bring up the contact list.
    • Select the contact.
    • Select MMS and SMS (or one or the other).
    • Tap "Add".
    • The newly created notification will now appear. Click on the color circle with a check mark to change the color.

Other Social Media Accounts

I don't have Facebook or Instagram account to give detail directions on how to set them up. But, please contribute and will add them to the original post.

Thank you and please let me know if I made any mistakes in this post.
    Last edited by kwakster928; 11-11-15 at 10:43 PM.
    11-11-15 10:31 AM
    Another good thread Let's see if we can do something
    11-11-15 10:34 AM
    But can't you just do it without that app? Isn't that already built in into the phone settings?

Posted via CB10
    bbaleno likes this.
    11-11-15 10:44 AM
    But can't you just do it without that app? Isn't that already built in into the phone settings?

Posted via CB10
    I'm probably missing something... but I can already set LED colors for whatever accounts I want (text messages, emails)... but maybe those apps provide more colors than normal? I don't know.
    11-11-15 10:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    The app is needed if you want to customize LED notification per CONTACT. I haven't found a way in the Android contact setting to set different LED colors.

As per the other apps, it is hit or miss. Some let you choose it, other not. It is not consistent.
    ce71 likes this.
    11-11-15 10:49 AM
    OP do you know if there's any way to control the notifications for Whatsapp?

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-11-15 10:51 AM
    OP do you know if there's any way to control the notifications for Whatsapp?

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    Added
    11-11-15 11:07 AM
    WhatsApp and BBM have the LED colour setting within the apps themselves, not through the android settings.
    Last edited by LeaAndPerrins; 11-11-15 at 02:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    11-11-15 02:24 PM
    Thanks for the info!
    11-11-15 10:49 PM
    The thing I don't like about Lightflow is there doesn't seem to be a way to assign notifications for email accounts
    11-11-15 11:00 PM
    The thing I don't like about Lightflow is there doesn't seem to be a way to assign notifications for email accounts
    That's why I am recommend using it along with the Hub
    11-11-15 11:15 PM
    That's why I am recommend using it along with the Hub
    When I do that I seem to have a problem in that the notification LED for any email account only flashes for about 10 seconds and shuts off when using Hub in conjunction with Lightflow. Do you have that problem? Thanks in advance.
    11-12-15 12:48 AM
    Thanks for this. Still, I would miss the BeBuzz style notification options of choosing multi-colour combos for different accounts.

And from what I've seen on Priv videos, the LED notification blinks at a much faster rate than on BB10 which I think is even faster than it is on the Galaxy S6. Should be slowed down.
    vag65 and moody like this.
    11-12-15 07:57 AM
    Buwee,

I would not set any email LED notification through light flow. You can adjust the color in the hub. I am having the opposite experience. My led notifications from the hub doesn't shut off until I wake or unlock the phone.
    11-12-15 01:03 PM
    Thanks for this. Still, I would miss the BeBuzz style notification options of choosing multi-colour combos for different accounts.

And from what I've seen on Priv videos, the LED notification blinks at a much faster rate than on BB10 which I think is even faster than it is on the Galaxy S6. Should be slowed down.
    I think it is about same. In the light flow you can change the speed. Yes I do miss the ability to combine multiple LEDS.
    11-12-15 01:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    you need an app for that. hence the number of apps in the app store
    11-22-15 09:32 PM
    You con do this using the hub settings, go to custom alerts, and set a per account notification, this way you can choose vibration patterns led colors and ring tone
    buwee likes this.
    11-23-15 12:27 AM
    You can do far more than just a per account notification. You could set it to look for subject keywords, who's sending to you, who's receiving it (particularly if you're getting emails from mailing lists), and a whole host of other options in the custom alert settings in Hub.
    11-26-15 05:00 PM
    I cannot figure out how to setup LED notifications for SMS/MMS in my hub. I read above that pulse notifications need to be enabled and then I choose a color for notifications. I don't have these options under settings in my hub for text messages. I finally got my email accounts working (I think) but cannot get text message LED notifications.
    01-31-16 01:13 PM
    I cannot figure out how to setup LED notifications for SMS/MMS in my hub. I read above that pulse notifications need to be enabled and then I choose a color for notifications. I don't have these options under settings in my hub for text messages. I finally got my email accounts working (I think) but cannot get text message LED notifications.
    Me too, I can't find what OP suggested for messenger though !

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-16 12:53 PM
    I am using Textra and I figured out that I had to set up LED notifications within this app and also make sure that in the phone settings under Notification light, it needs to be toggled on and inside you have to check Missed Calls and Messages (even though the phone default is green). With it set this way, I get the notification LED that I have set in Textra. It won't work for me if I use Light Flow or Light Manager for SMS

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-01-16 07:50 PM
    Me too, I can't find what OP suggested for messenger though !

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Passport
    Not all apps allow for customizing the LED.
    02-01-16 08:32 PM
    Not all apps allow for customizing the LED.
    Are you serious ? I'm a litle bit despointed..
    02-02-16 12:20 AM
    Are you serious ? I'm a litle bit despointed..
    Yep, if the devs left it out it won't show as an option.
    02-02-16 12:52 AM
    Some people suggested Yaata app for text messaging. Its really really customization oriented almost too many. It doesn't allow for multiple lights per contact either but you can make the little icon color coincide with the led which is kind of cool.

With that said, I will stay with my Passport and BB10 as long as both are working simply because of how much I rely on led notifications. And I have to be able to assign more than one color per contact and app.

I stayed with BBOS until I knew for sure BB10 had this capability. This and Password Keeper are non-negotiable for me.

Priv is now my work phone and its ok for now only assigning one led color, because I only set it for two. Maybe one day Android can catch up to BB10.....
    vag65 likes this.
    03-19-16 09:23 PM
41 12