My usage is mostly restricted to email, texts, googlemaps and occasional websurfing. When in WIFI area I use WIFI. I have been assiduously clearing all apps after using them (using the little square at the bottom of the screen to show what's open and then clicking "clear all").

On my BlackBerry Torch I used on average 1GB of data per month, or less. On my new Priv, in two weeks I have logged over 1.70GB of cellular data and 4.96GB of WIFI data (!!). No one at AT&T can find where my data "leak" is, and in two hours of websurfing I don't see any other reports of this problem. I called BlackBerry Customer Support and the technician suggested turning off data whenever in a WIFI area...this doesn't seem like a practical solution! I hate to give my Priv back, but if I can't solve this issue I will have to .

In cellular data, the use hogs are

- Blackberry Services (689MB - 315MB in foregrounds and 374 in background) and
    - Gmail (422MB - 265MB foreground and 157MB background), followed by YouTube (I watched ONE YouTube on the first day, which used 208MB).

From what I can discern from the charts given, the Gmail data pretty much plateaued when I moved my comcast.net email account from Gmail to the Blackberry Hub.

It's a beautiful phone and it's nice to have a couple of apps for a change, but it's going back to AT&T if I can't fixt this. HELP!

Karin
    11-23-15 09:49 AM
    bb7 got data compression? do you have any apps that are actively seek for location or "members in the near by area"? such as try to ID you for playing specific game? just a guess.
    11-23-15 11:59 AM
    Try Opera Max...

Posted via CB10
    11-23-15 12:02 PM
    My usage is mostly restricted to email, texts, googlemaps and occasional websurfing. When in WIFI area I use WIFI. I have been assiduously clearing all apps after using them (using the little square at the bottom of the screen to show what's open and then clicking "clear all").

On my BlackBerry Torch I used on average 1GB of data per month, or less. On my new Priv, in two weeks I have logged over 1.70GB of cellular data and 4.96GB of WIFI data (!!). No one at AT&T can find where my data "leak" is, and in two hours of websurfing I don't see any other reports of this problem. I called BlackBerry Customer Support and the technician suggested turning off data whenever in a WIFI area...this doesn't seem like a practical solution! I hate to give my Priv back, but if I can't solve this issue I will have to .

In cellular data, the use hogs are

- Blackberry Services (689MB - 315MB in foregrounds and 374 in background) and
    - Gmail (422MB - 265MB foreground and 157MB background), followed by YouTube (I watched ONE YouTube on the first day, which used 208MB).

From what I can discern from the charts given, the Gmail data pretty much plateaued when I moved my comcast.net email account from Gmail to the Blackberry Hub.

It's a beautiful phone and it's nice to have a couple of apps for a change, but it's going back to AT&T if I can't fixt this. HELP!

Karin
    In the short-term, if you go into mobile data you can click on limit mobile data and set a limit by moving the slider. Also you can click on the individual apps in there and turn off background data.

However given what you are saying, I cannot see where all that usage is coming from?
    11-23-15 12:15 PM
    I'm having the Priv as well and I have the same problem.

I know that I have a year of email to sync to my BlackBerry Hub. Thus, I sync through the night with my WiFi.

The next morning, I check and all emails are in.

In three hours times, I check and it chock up 1.01 gb of data through BlackBerry Services.

Why??!!
    12-10-15 09:29 PM
    I'm having the Priv as well and I have the same problem.

I know that I have a year of email to sync to my BlackBerry Hub. Thus, I sync through the night with my WiFi.

The next morning, I check and all emails are in.

In three hours times, I check and it chock up 1.01 gb of data through BlackBerry Services.

Why??!!
    Same here. Over my 2.5 GB limit in 2 weeks. The major culprit? BlackBerry Hub using 1.4 GB. All I have is two email accounts using the hub, synching every 15 minutes. Something is up!! I left BlackBerry when the support for BlackBerry 10 went away, but came back for the superior phone. Mistake ? Time to unpack my old Nexus 5 again?
    08-18-16 06:02 PM
    Forgive me if someone has mentioned this previously, but shut off auto update for the Play Store. Also, if a Facebook user, delete the app and download something else, such as Metal. Those were my two biggest data hogs.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 06:18 PM
    To the OP, go to settings, apps, select hub, select storage, select clear data. Same with BlackBerry Hub+ Services.

That will start you over with Hub.

Set it up again and set a very short sync period. Then monitor the data. If the data is okay, increase the sync period to whatever you usually have (default is 7 days).

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-18-16 06:33 PM
    So there is no setting like in BB10 where it only uses WiFi OR cellular data? Like now if I am in range of WiFi but it's low, it won't connect to a Web page unless I move to a stronger signal, or turn WiFi off so the cellular will take over.

I've had concerns about this in switching to a priv seeing the rest of my family's iphones gobble up data just sitting overnight. Was wondering if android would do the same. Sounds like it does.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    08-18-16 06:42 PM
    Set to manual sync

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 06:45 PM
    Manual sync would work.

There is a developer option that supports aggressive wifi to cellular handover. But no I don't see a setting in hub that let's you decide whether you use wifi or cellular. Some apps do that (google play for example), but not hub.

I think if you reset and resync the app you'll be in good shape.

08-18-16 08:32 PM
    Forgive me if someone has mentioned this previously, but shut off auto update for the Play Store. Also, if a Facebook user, delete the app and download something else, such as Metal. Those were my two biggest data hogs.

Posted via CB10
    Good call on metal!!! Never heard of that before. Nice.

08-18-16 08:34 PM
    Same here. Over my 2.5 GB limit in 2 weeks. The major culprit? BlackBerry Hub using 1.4 GB. All I have is two email accounts using the hub, synching every 15 minutes. Something is up!! I left BlackBerry when the support for BlackBerry 10 went away, but came back for the superior phone. Mistake ? Time to unpack my old Nexus 5 again?
    What OS? I have 6 email accounts set up in the Hub. I use less than a gigabyte per month. So something is probably not running right.

Remove or rollback the Hub version on your phone. Remove and then re-add the email accounts but only do that while in wifi range to not eat up more data syncing again.

Reboot as shown below

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    08-18-16 09:31 PM
    I just found a culprit for data and restricted background. Look at the numbers:

Attached Thumbnails How do I stop extreme data usage on my new Priv?-16778.jpg  
    08-19-16 10:59 AM
    Kill background data on the Play Store and Google Services.

That will help a LOT.

Second, when it comes to email, watch out for very large-volume mailboxes (e.g. syncing your trash!) BB10 could be told to pull "headers only" over cell, but the Hub on Android *cannot*. This is ok for most mailboxes but if you sync your trash and get spammed a lot you're going to be transferring a lot of multi-megabyte emails you have no desire to read!
    08-19-16 11:19 AM
    Kill background cellular on damn near everything.
    How many of your apps actually need to log onto the cellular network when they are closed and not being used?

Don't kill it on your weather app, unless you want outdated weather.
    But, consider killing location on weather app. I'm in Atlanta, weather is kinda locked onto home location since I killed location, but there isn't normally enough difference from one side of the city to the other to make much difference.
    08-21-16 10:02 AM