I googled this and got plenty of responses about how to avoid using cellular data, but I'm asking the opposite - how to force use of cellular data even if WiFi is turned on (but having connection issue).

I just spent a week at a business conference and I had several major problems with my Priv... the first being battery life (a topic that has been beaten to death so moving on...)

I had a big issue with WiFi. If there was a WiFi connection issue (ie hot spot timed out, wifi overload, etc), I would get no notification on my Priv and it would show as fully connected. It took some time to realize that I was getting zero email/data when this happened. Also, at conferences/trade shows, my phone is in my pocket - I have no idea whether wifi is having a problem... I have tones set so that I know when I receive an email, etc. that I need to respond to immediately. Obviously, if no data is coming thru, no tones are happening to alert me.

Why does this phone not switch over to cellular data if there is an issue with the wifi? If I don't realize there is an issue and turn off the wifi, then I get nothing that requires data... big problem! BlackBerry devices do this automatically - I never realized it was a potential issue until this change to android.

After 2 days I gave up and switched to my Passport (I was using a conference app that didn't work on BB OS10 or I would have made the switch much earlier). The Passport worked perfectly. If wifi was not working for whatever reason, I still received all of my emails and other data.

Is this an Android issue? Specific to the Priv? PLEASE tell me there is a setting that can be changed to fix this!
    03-23-16 03:45 PM
    You have the exact same issue as I was having with my priv.

To switch from wi-fi to data you slide your finger down from the top and till you see the icons and tap on your wi-fi. When you enter that screen all you have to do is slide the bar on the top right to the left side. That closes yours wi-fi and only your data would be on. To switch it back you just go back to that same screen and slide the bar to the right side.

As for your email issue, it turned out that my wifi router was a double NAT. With the double NAT I was only able to browse the web and use apps but no email. After I fixed it, everything started to work again. Were you able to browse the web? Maybe you didn't turn on the auto-sync.
    03-23-16 03:54 PM
    I went to dsl for a bit but was having issues with wifi (dsl provider issue) Intermittently. The only thing I could find to do is turn off wifi and do what I needed to do and try wifi later

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-23-16 03:54 PM
    So the only solution is to physically turn off wifi? How do BlackBerry OS10 devices do this automatically?
    03-23-16 04:06 PM
    Yes I believe that is the only way to get it to work. Is it just your email that doesn't go through with the wifi? Like are you able to browse on the internet?
    03-23-16 04:18 PM
    So the only solution is to physically turn off wifi? How do BlackBerry OS10 devices do this automatically?
    Typically this happens with bad cellular service. It sounds like you had poor wifi and poor cellular signal simultaneously. Do you notice this happening anywhere else?
    03-23-16 04:22 PM
    Yes I believe that is the only way to get it to work. Is it just your email that doesn't go through with the wifi? Like are you able to browse on the internet?
    No I am unable to do anything that requires data...

Typically this happens with bad cellular service. It sounds like you had poor wifi and poor cellular signal simultaneously. Do you notice this happening anywhere else?
    I tested this at my house last night (where I have decent cell coverage) - turned off wifi router while leaving wifi turned on on my Priv... no data access, yet I had cellular bars. It is definitely not switching over to cellular service, regardless of signal.

Thanks for the responses!!
    03-23-16 04:32 PM
    Besides the conference wifi and your home wifi, did you try any other wifi to test if the wifi works? If that wifi doesn't work either, I would exchange the phone to get one that works.
    03-23-16 04:52 PM
    Under networks there is a "use cellular even if WiFi is available" setting, tho I think this is for calling and not data. But if u use WiFi calling and the WiFi is fubar this will make sure u get ur calls. If ur phone sees a WiFi network, it prob doesn't care if it can reach the Internet. It's an android; maybe there's something in the app store for managing that.
    03-23-16 05:51 PM
    It's an android thing... BB10 actually pings a blackberry server and if it can't get through it assumes the link is dead. This has both good and bad points in that it can falsely think WiFi is dead when it is not, but routing to where it is pinging is offline.

03-23-16 05:56 PM
    My wifi works fine other than that conference situation... my concern is why it doesn't revert to cellular network if there is wifi issue. :-)

FF22 likes this.
    03-23-16 08:37 PM
    Under networks there is a "use cellular even if WiFi is available" setting, tho I think this is for calling and not data.

It's an android; maybe there's something in the app store for managing that.
    I'm on att and I don't see that option under networks...

Good idea on looking for an app! I'm not used to thinking about an app for everything.

03-23-16 08:39 PM
    It's an android thing... BB10 actually pings a blackberry server and if it can't get through it assumes the link is dead. This has both good and bad points in that it can falsely think WiFi is dead when it is not, but routing to where it is pinging is offline.

I was afraid that was the case...
    I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to totally leave BB10... which means I'm possibly totally screwed in the future unless a miracle occurs.

Thanks!

rickkel likes this.
    03-23-16 08:42 PM
    Go to settings/more/wifi calling menu. The setting is in there.
    03-24-16 06:05 PM
    Go to settings/more/wifi calling menu. The setting is in there.
    It depends on your carrier. Verizon doesn't have WiFi calling yet. That option is not in our settings menu.
    03-24-16 06:18 PM
    I have the same issue. Mine occurs as I am walking into a wifi zone that I have previously connected to that requires a sign in. Specifically as I walk across campus I connect to the campus wifi, but because I am just walking through I don't bother signing in because I will soon be out of range. So I don't get wifi ( because I haven't signed in) and I don't get cellular because it waits for a wifi connection. Frustrating.

03-24-16 06:22 PM
    I also experienced the same with Priv which wasn't the case with BB10. This is Android crap. I hate it. Its like so many unwanted baggage claims!
    09-29-16 07:52 PM
    I googled this and got plenty of responses about how to avoid using cellular data, but I'm asking the opposite - how to force use of cellular data even if WiFi is turned on (but having connection issue).

I just spent a week at a business conference and I had several major problems with my Priv... the first being battery life (a topic that has been beaten to death so moving on...)

I had a big issue with WiFi. If there was a WiFi connection issue (ie hot spot timed out, wifi overload, etc), I would get no notification on my Priv and it would show as fully connected. It took some time to realize that I was getting zero email/data when this happened. Also, at conferences/trade shows, my phone is in my pocket - I have no idea whether wifi is having a problem... I have tones set so that I know when I receive an email, etc. that I need to respond to immediately. Obviously, if no data is coming thru, no tones are happening to alert me.

Why does this phone not switch over to cellular data if there is an issue with the wifi? If I don't realize there is an issue and turn off the wifi, then I get nothing that requires data... big problem! BlackBerry devices do this automatically - I never realized it was a potential issue until this change to android.

After 2 days I gave up and switched to my Passport (I was using a conference app that didn't work on BB OS10 or I would have made the switch much earlier). The Passport worked perfectly. If wifi was not working for whatever reason, I still received all of my emails and other data.

Is this an Android issue? Specific to the Priv? PLEASE tell me there is a setting that can be changed to fix this!
    02-15-18 06:39 AM
    I know this is late in response, but I was having trouble with battery draining and played around with different settings, one being turning data off while in cell service and not WiFi. When I couldn't remember how to turn it on, I went to Google and found this post. With more playing around with settings, I figured it out.

Settings, Data usage, cellular networks, mobile data services. Make sure mobile data services is on and you will get emails while having no WiFi. I live in area where cell coverage is not good, and I sometimes have 4g when I don't have signal to make a call or send a text.

Hope this helps.
    gritsinct likes this.
    02-15-18 06:47 AM