I have imported a priv stv 001. There were t mobile apps on it and the starting screen showed t-mobile logo. However after disabling the apps the t-mobile logo at start is now gone. I am not sure now if the phone is carrier unlocked or factory unlocked. Please help how to find out for sure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 05:35 AM
    If it has t-mobile bloatware pretty sure it is carrier unlocked device
    09-28-16 05:40 AM
    But I read somewhere that it can also happen if the last sim that was inserted is t-mobile. So it again cannot be sure on that.

09-28-16 06:23 AM
    Press power button and volume down at the same time it will take you to boot loader menu then choose Barcode see if your device venicena it's mean factory unlocked
    09-28-16 06:47 AM
    Press power button and volume down at the same time it will take you to boot loader menu then choose Barcode see if your device venicena it's mean factory unlocked
    Thanks a lot. It shows Venice atmosphere, which basically answers my question.

09-28-16 07:00 AM
    I meant venicenatmo.

Uzi likes this.
    09-28-16 07:01 AM
    Is like the flaky Safe Mode where I lose home page icons/apps and widgets and have to set stuff up again?
    09-28-16 09:34 AM
    Is like the flaky Safe Mode where I lose home page icons/apps and widgets and have to set stuff up again?
    Nope you won't lost your settings
    FF22 likes this.
    09-28-16 09:44 AM
    +1

09-28-16 11:17 AM
    I will have to have another camera available as I would like to grab a "screen shot" of those bar codes.

Thanks.
    09-28-16 12:13 PM
    My device was on at home screen. Verizon version. Tried power button and volume down at the same time. All I got was flashing blue red and green (I think lights). Is that normal?
    07-19-22 02:22 PM
    My device was on at home screen. Verizon version. Tried power button and volume down at the same time. All I got was flashing blue red and green (I think lights). Is that normal?
    Start from off.
    07-19-22 02:33 PM
    Start from off.
    How do I find out if my priv is factory unlocked or carrier unlocked?-inkedinked20220719_140353-redacted-c5.jpg

Grateful for your help.

Incidentally, how do you bring up the version info and PRD?
    Last edited by BB_Questions; 07-19-22 at 04:24 PM.
    07-19-22 03:01 PM
    Grateful for your help. Incidentally, how do you bring up the version info and PRD?
    All you can do is use the model number and from where it was purchased to know exactly what it is.

We don't know what PRD numbers relate to what.
    07-19-22 03:26 PM
    Going back and asking questions in long dead threads of people that no longer post here.... isn't going to get you anywhere.

Verizon only offered the STV100-2 which offers support for LTE Bands 2,3,4,5,7,13,20. This doesn't match up well with T-Mobile. In the past people could use a Verizon Priv on T-Mobile, but more as a 3G phone that picks up 4G every now and then.

You need to return that Verizon PRIV if you can, and either get one that is more compatible with your T-Mobile MVNO... or just get a phone that is more compatible with today's very changed networks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-22 03:52 PM
    Firstly, thank you for all your input on these threads. There are a lot of really knowledgeable members here. It is really helpful. I don't bother to look at all the dates for the most part, so I didn't realize these threads were that old. Only the topics and discussion interested me. Members have a lot of useful info that is still helpful. I hope you don't mind? Everyone here is great. It's a nice community.

As for my PRIV (I missed the upgrade curve years ago and am only now catching up on the topic about Key2s and PRIVS because of the SPRINT acquisition by T-Mobile and phasing out of 3G, some 4G devices and even SIM cards). The VOLTE move forced me to update knowledge and info about everything from GSM to CDMA to MVNOs and even SIM cards.

What I"ve learned is fascinating. You are the best source I can find so far that enlighten about these things. So, I hope you don't mind my novice questions?
    07-21-22 02:15 PM
    Firstly, thank you for all your input on these threads. There are a lot of really knowledgeable members here. It is really helpful. I don't bother to look at all the dates for the most part, so I didn't realize these threads were that old. Only the topics and discussion interested me. Members have a lot of useful info that is still helpful. I hope you don't mind? Everyone here is great. It's a nice community.

As for my PRIV (I missed the upgrade curve years ago and am only now catching up on the topic about Key2s and PRIVS because of the SPRINT acquisition by T-Mobile and phasing out of 3G, some 4G devices and even SIM cards). The VOLTE move forced me to update knowledge and info about everything from GSM to CDMA to MVNOs and even SIM cards.

What I"ve learned is fascinating. You are the best source I can find so far that enlighten about these things. So, I hope you don't mind my novice questions?
    All you need to know is that you have to dump all BlackBerry and BlackBerry-branded devices, as none are safe to use.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-22 02:22 PM
    As for my PRIV, here is the situation. I am torn between buying a used T-Mobile one in "excellent condition" or a new one from China (all on eBay). There is a long wait for the new one. It will pass through customs and the 100% feedback rating for a relatively new seller just fell to 94% because they sold a brand new Nokia with a battery that went dead after a month. Don't know if the internal (non-removable) batteries in the PRIV I would get are not only past their expiry, but won't hold a proper charge or give me trouble down the road. I don't need that on new product.
    07-21-22 02:24 PM
    As for my PRIV, here is the situation. I am torn between buying a used T-Mobile one in "excellent condition" or a new one from China (all on eBay). There is a long wait for the new one. It will pass through customs and the 100% feedback rating for a relatively new seller just fell to 94% because they sold a brand new Nokia with a battery that went dead after a month. Don't know if the internal (non-removable) batteries in the PRIV I would get are not only past their expiry, but won't hold a proper charge or give me trouble down the road. I don't need that on new product.
    Forget it. It's a 7 year old device that simply doesn't have the bands to support modern networks.

You're just asking for heaps of trouble.

Get a nice new modern device. Might I suggest a Pixel, a Samsung, or an Apple?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-22 02:26 PM
    All you need to know is that you have to dump all BlackBerry and BlackBerry-branded devices, as none are safe to use.
    What if you want to use them as secondary devices; don't care about "safety" [what's your def?] (especially if you won't use them for anything financial) and just want communication devices with Physical Keyboards that work for Voice/Text/Data (e.g., internet)? ... and that can maybe accommodate WhatsApp. What's the downside?

I don't like Unihertz for various reasons including the processor. What are the real options?

My MVNO and the underlying main carriers all forced this issue, but I'm finding that there are livable BlackBerry options that may work or actually do and I am sorting it all out. I'm getting by with a little help from my friends [on forums like these].

The MVNO Technicians don't know jack. Customers know more than they do. This is a matter of record. So, I need input. I'm a diehard BlackBerry user and fan.
    07-21-22 02:35 PM
    Even a new one that is more compatible with T-Mobile's network... still won't offer you much. It's missing both Band 66 and 71 which are newer LTE Bands that T-Mobile deployed a few years ago. (after the PRIV). And now that 3G is gone and 5G is here... not having a 5G phone, and not having every LTE Band is going to be a subpar experience.

I know many dealing with the KEY2 have found that buying from China isn't always best.... many have received different variants than ordered, or found devices weren't new but refurbished. Now refurbished isn't always bad... but it is if they didn't really fix what the device was returned for. But with eBay you should be safe... just might waste more time and effort than you already have with your Verizon device.

If I couldn't break free from PKB phones... I'd likly opt for one of Unihertz phones. Not sure I'd be able to trust it with my finical into or much else. But it would at least function with today's apps. If only someone made a custom rom for those...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-22 02:39 PM
    What if you want to use them as secondary devices; don't care about "safety" [what's your def?] (especially if you won't use them for anything financial) and just want communication devices with Physical Keyboards that work for Voice/Text/Data (e.g., internet)? ... and that can maybe accommodate WhatsApp. What's the downside?

I don't like Unihertz for various reasons including the processor. What are the real options?

My MVNO and the underlying main carriers all forced this issue, but I'm finding that there are livable BlackBerry options that may work or actually do and I am sorting it all out. I'm getting by with a little help from my friends [on forums like these].

The MVNO Technicians don't know jack. Customers know more than they do. This is a matter of record. So, I need input. I'm a diehard BlackBerry user and fan.
    The P70 has double the performance of the SD808.

If you don't care about your security, and accept that everything you have on your phone is public, including your friends' contact info, then go nuts.

App support is rapidly being dropped for Android 8, let alone Android 6.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-22 02:42 PM
    none are safe to use.
    I think "safety" is overrated. Even with newer devices, they can be hacked, compromised and bypassed. Governments, hackers and the technically oriented do it all of the time. Safety is a matter of degree. Some may be harder and others easier to hack into, however, if you don't care and are not using the devices for anything important other than to stay in touch, text, call and access internet a bit, if you need to, who cares? The precise input of a PKB and all of the BlackBerry qualities suit me just fine.
    07-21-22 02:47 PM
    The P70 has double the performance of the SD808.

If you don't care about your security, and accept that everything you have on your phone is public, including your friends' contact info, then go nuts.

App support is rapidly being dropped for Android 8, let alone Android 6.
    You are probably right about the P70, but for me it's like the difference between Intel and AMD processors. Samsung A32 has the MediaTek processor [it may be very good], but I'd rather buy the A52 with the Qualcomm.

AMD had quirks that made me more comfortable with Intel's reliability. I don't want to fool with Media Tek. That's just me. Unihertz reviews weren't stellar. Unihertz can have a far shorter shelf-life than BlackBerry. They [Unihertz] didn't invent any smartphones. Just are copying them.

As to security, most of my contacts are not on secondary devices. Who cares? If I want to make secure calls or put my address book (contacts) on a phone, I won't use these secondary devices much for that. Maybe a few friends and family. That's it. Not worried about security. Governments, hackers and the technically oriented can easily compromise even the newest devices. Only lay-hackers may be slowed down. BlackBerry or not, won't make a difference.

Android is dropping app support all of the time. Won't stop them from doing it for newer Android versions either. If all you need is Voice/Text/Internet, you will be fine ... even on ... BlackBerry ... it seems!
    07-21-22 03:12 PM
    I think "safety" is overrated. Even with newer devices, they can be hacked, compromised and bypassed.
    Lol. [citation needed]

While the Priv's apple is hanging 2' off the ground, the Pixel 6's with its Titan M2 security chip is in the clouds.
    There have been over 3500 PUBLISHED (with hacker instructions) critical security vulnerabilities left undealt with on the Priv since leaving its patch window.

For the most part, only state-level actors would have a hope of breaking into a modern device with M2 or Knox.

Current versions of Android will enjoy at least another 5 years of full app compatibility.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-22 03:25 PM
28 12