Playbook -> disappointment
    BB10 -> disappointment

Now, how can BlackBerry motivate me to buy new Priv? What if they end support for Android in future?

BB PP SE
    03-02-16 09:22 AM
    That's a fair question. That being said they DID put a lot of time and effort in to both the Playbook and BB10, unfortunately the market spoke. The products did not sell and ultimately BlackBerry was forced to move on. The jury is still out on the Priv. It SEEMS like a solid device, it leverages the strength of BB, the physical keyboard with the power of a mature app filled OS eco system of Android. It would seem to be the best of both worlds. Did they price it too high? Are there some QC issues plaguing the device? How about marketing or lack there of? These are all questions we will just have to wait and see about.
    03-02-16 09:34 AM
    What if I bought a Saab? What if I bought a Palm? What if I bought a Pontiac? Short answer, you never know. Gotta take a chance. With BlackBerry's current balance sheet, I doubt you have much at risk. If you are nervous, but a Galaxy...oh wait Samsung looses money on their phone division and may leave the smartphone market. Hmm. What to do?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    03-02-16 09:36 AM
    BB10 -> disappointment

Now, how can BlackBerry motivate me to buy new Priv? What if they end support for Android in future?

BB PP SE
    Playbook was a huge disappointment for sure. I'm not disappointed with BB10. My phone work great, no major complaint. Lack of apps was to be expected.

This is Android so it's not going away even if BlackBerry stops making handsets. If you like the hardware go for it!

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    shakingthrough likes this.
    03-02-16 09:48 AM
    BB10 -> disappointment

BB PP SE
    Worse case scenario, BlackBerry will support the Priv for a year or two, and you will end up with an nice Android device running at least Marshmallow, with access to the Google Play Store for years to come.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-02-16 09:51 AM
    oh wait Samsung looses money on their phone division and may leave the smartphone market. Hmm. What to do?

You might want to check you figures there

03-02-16 09:54 AM
    You might want to check you figures there

Actually he is right. Sammy's phone division's profit is declining YoY.

03-02-16 09:58 AM

Yes their profits are declining, but at least they are one of the few Android OEMs that have profits. Have heard no talk of Samsung pulling out of the smartphone business.

No one mentions BlackBerry without questioning that possibility.

Other than going with a NEXUS device, in the Android World you really aren't guaranteed too many updates. I kinda expect that for the PRIV, Marshmallow will be it's last major update. But then I don't expect my work Droid Turbo 2 to see much past Marshmallow either... If the PRIV is priced comfortable for you, and you like it's features... don't worry about the future.
    mister2d likes this.
    03-02-16 10:20 AM
    It depends on what you mean by "trust." There's trust that someone is not lying to you. There is also trust that someone can do what they say they are going to try to do. As far as the latter is concerned, you probably need to evaluate whether you can trust your own instincts. Why did you pick a tablet from a company that has never done a tablet? Why did you pick a platform that has declining sales volume that most app developers aren't willing to invest in?

Harbingers of failure: meet the customers you don?t want to love your product | Ars Technica
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-02-16 at 10:53 AM.
    03-02-16 10:33 AM
    What if they end support for Android in future?
    Do you expect to use your PRIV for 5 years in a row?) I don't think they will move away from Android in next 2-3 years.
    03-02-16 10:57 AM
    Worse case scenario, BlackBerry will support the Priv for a year or two, and you will end up with an nice Android device running at least Marshmallow, with access to the Google Play Store for years to come.
    This right here

Just the fact that it runs full Android and has official access to the Play Store alone, guarantees that even if/after BlackBerry stops supporting it in the future, the phone will still work fine. No BlackBerry app store that devs can pull their apps from.

glwerry likes this.
    03-02-16 11:55 AM
    What if I bought a Saab? What if I bought a Palm? What if I bought a Pontiac? Short answer, you never know. Gotta take a chance. With BlackBerry's current balance sheet, I doubt you have much at risk. If you are nervous, but a Galaxy...oh wait Samsung looses money on their phone division and may leave the smartphone market. Hmm. What to do?

Leave the phone market? Samsung? If BlackBerry can stick around with their market share, I don't think Samsung is going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit: lol. Totally missed your sarcasm, because I read what someone else had quoted. My fault.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tufcustomer; 03-02-16 at 12:43 PM.
    03-02-16 11:59 AM
    One significant concern with the "worst case scenario" you've described is: other Android devices live on far beyond their manufacturers support. Through rooting and the custom OS community. The security on the priv is hard coded into the hardware. That doesn't make it impossible to root, but is a significant road block.

So it is not guaranteed that the priv will live on if blackberry abandons it. Our community is smaller and security on the priv is tighter. We may be stuck with marshmallow when all the new apps are built for "peanut butter crunch" (just made that up).
    Witmen likes this.
    03-02-16 12:05 PM
    One significant concern with the "worst case scenario" you've described is: other Android devices live on far beyond their manufacturers support. Through rooting and the custom OS community. The security on the priv is hard coded into the hardware. That doesn't make it impossible to root, but is a significant road block.

So it is not guaranteed that the priv will live on if blackberry abandons it. Our community is smaller and security on the priv is tighter. We may be stuck with marshmallow when all the new apps are built for "peanut butter crunch" (just made that up).
    It will be 3-5 years before Marshmallow looses mainstream support from Google Play.

Kitkat makes up the bulk of Android right now (35%) and it came out in 2013.
    03-02-16 12:09 PM

Declining and "losing money and may get out of the hardware business" are nowhere near the same thing.

mister2d likes this.
    03-02-16 12:13 PM
    Declining and "losing money and may get out of the hardware business" are nowhere near the same thing.

He was being sarcastic bro. Chill. Average android phone lasts 2-3 years. Note 3 will not be getting marshmallow and people complain to samsung for their lame update to lollipop for note 3. So at least with Priv you will get a decent marshmallow update since it is their only phone. Your beloved samsung sucks at updates. Should have better left it at kitkat.

03-02-16 12:34 PM

I LIKE it! But we must get through Nutter Butter, and Orangesicle first! lol (I just made those up!)
    03-02-16 02:01 PM

This is because the build way too many models, each in many colors, and many carrier specific variants as well. They would be in far better financial shape if they only did the Note, Galaxy S, and perhaps the Galaxy Prime or Core lines only.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 05:09 PM
    BB10 -> disappointment

BB PP SE
    Then you buy another android phone and all the apps and media you got from the google play store will be available.
    03-02-16 06:11 PM
    I'd probably wait for 30 days just to see how BB is doing with the Priv.

But having said that, I would agree that you'll probably get a year or two out of it anyway. It's unfortunate, though, that you can't root it after that (if you're into that sort of thing)
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-02-16 06:45 PM
    BB10 -> disappointment

BB PP SE
    It is all about fight for survival. The market didn't support these devices even though a handful of loyalists like me kept on buying the new devices . BlackBerry is still there. It is now do or die situation for the handsets business to survive in the hostile android environment with lots of competition around them. Priv is a distinctly unique device sporting PKB and VKB. This is first time that such a device has been launched on Android platform. IMO I didn't see much updates on BB10 devices in one year but Priv updates in last two months have surpassed BB10. This proves their commitment .

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    03-02-16 11:08 PM
    trust me, the priv is a great phone. one of the top android phone of 2016, someone just post an article about it.
    so crow likes this.
    03-02-16 11:11 PM
    BB10 -> disappointment

BB PP SE
    I had both PlayBook and bb10 phones. The way I see it I had a lot of enjoyment from both devices for long time. So no regrets.

As to ongoing support blackberry never announced that it would stop supporting bb10 devices.

As to PlayBook other manufacturers are no better.

You do not look far to see it. Microsoft Windows phone 7 with no update to windows 8 os or apple Iphones with 1gb of ram which do not get certain futures of ios 9 like multitasking etc. Products have cycles and they will not be supported indefinitely
    Last edited by bitek; 03-03-16 at 01:14 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-03-16 01:00 AM
    I want to say that BB10 didn't disappoint at all.

As a customer I'm disappointed by the company only, and in many ways. The main thing is: since the days when they decided to discontinue BBOS7 (which was a legitimate decision) they did everything only half hearted. The first victim was the Playbook. In this moment the company lost somehow it's soul and the belief in itself. And how should the customer believe in a company and their products when they don't believe in themselves and their products? So I would not be surprized at all if they do something completely else next week. And next month again something else, baby diapers, or so.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-03-16 01:58 AM

I can't imagine BlackBerry will not keep at least the OS security and features update part ...
    Would I dare to say - in that scenario - they may even provide those for BES users using another "friend" brand, for instance ?
    read : "Software company".
    03-03-16 04:39 AM
54 123