Thanks for the suggestion. Just changed my language to English US instead of Canadian and Google Assistant came right up. Now if I could get the March update I would be all set
    03-11-17 01:22 PM
    I discovered it on my AT&T priv yesterday afternoon. It seems that I can no longer just type in a search request like I always have, which is not good if I don't want other people to know what I'm doing. The only time I use the voice features is when I'm driving. I guess I will have to play around with Google Assistant to figure out how to search by type.
    You can still type in a search if you swipe up from the home button. Takes you to the normal Google search screen. Long press on the button goes to Google Assistant, or say OK Google.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-11-17 01:38 PM
    Long press on the button & it greets offering help... it won't shut up...
    03-11-17 01:45 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just changed my language to English US instead of Canadian and Google Assistant came right up. Now if I could get the March update I would be all set
    I have a Shop Blackberry Priv that didn't get the update. Checking updates always said I was up to date. I called BB support and they told me to phone *#*#CHECKIN#*#* (*#*#2432546#*#*) Bingo! the update was immediately available.
    anon(679606) likes this.
    03-13-17 11:05 AM
    You can still type in a search if you swipe up from the home button. Takes you to the normal Google search screen. Long press on the button goes to Google Assistant, or say OK Google.
    Google Assistant doesn't seem to be any better for routine use... I think it was to try to sell their home assistant device ...it doesn't comprehend any better as of this post... maybe worse... USenglish
    03-13-17 11:55 AM
    How do I get it to read my text aloud??
    03-13-17 01:21 PM
    How do I get it to read my text aloud??
    Highlights any text on any page in any app, use the 3-button pull down to select "speak" and listen away
    03-13-17 01:27 PM
    I got GA last week but it required so many permissions - short of selling my soul to Google. Ended up disable it and resorted to the good old Voice Search...
    FF22 likes this.
    03-13-17 01:52 PM
    I got GA last week but it required so many permissions - short of selling my soul to Google. Ended up disable it and resorted to the good old Voice Search...
    How did you go about disabling it?
    03-13-17 01:57 PM
    I have a Shop Blackberry Priv that didn't get the update. Checking updates always said I was up to date. I called BB support and they told me to phone *#*#CHECKIN#*#* (*#*#2432546#*#*) Bingo! the update was immediately available.
    What is 'checkin'? I dialled it, and it succeeded, but i don't have the march security update.

So what does checkin actually checkin to?
    03-13-17 02:56 PM
    How did you go about disabling it?
    I go to Settings, apps, and disable google there.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 03-13-17 at 03:52 PM.
    03-13-17 02:57 PM
    What is 'checkin'? I dialled it, and it succeeded, but i don't have the march security update.

So what does checkin actually checkin to?
    I believe it does a low-level check for updates. If you have a vendor locked phone you have to wait for them to push updates to you (i.e. VZW, AT&T). That's why I clarified my device as a "Shop Blackberry" one.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-13-17 03:00 PM
    Thanks i've got a factory unlocked priv, 3 version, asia pac, and i'm in aus

So, does checkin mean that I've now logged my device into blackberry's update system? Or?
    03-13-17 03:24 PM
    Interestingly I tried changing my language from UK to US and nothing happened, so I decided to just change it back to UK then it popped up.
    03-13-17 05:07 PM
    Highlights any text on any page in any app, use the 3-button pull down to select "speak" and listen away
    I guess I don't have the update yet.. I don't have the option to "speak" when it tap the 3 dots.
    03-13-17 07:10 PM
    Verizon PRIV

03-13-17 09:13 PM
    Mine didn't last. Wasn't there this morning and I had to re-initiate the "OK Google" from any screen and retrain my voice as I had lost that. When it had switched over to Assistant it redid the voice recognition, so I guess when it left, I lost that.

I tried duplicating the above, but no luck. Will have to just wait further.

With the little use I had yesterday, I didn't see much difference from Google Now. I'm able to send WhatsApp, Text, do reminders, etc with Now, so not sure what difference I'm suppose to see.
    03-14-17 03:34 PM
    I asked Assistant a few questions yesterday and just asked the same of Now. I got the same answers.
    03-14-17 03:36 PM
    Nope. Been following this since it was announced and I am very disappointed to say it will be a while before we get it. It can't be sideloaded as it is a sever side change on the Google app. However, I found out yesterday that you have to be running at least 6.1 for Google Assistant to appear on your device. We are only on 6.0.1 so it will probably only come if/when we go to Nougat. Ugh.
    I'm on 6.0.1 (with Feb 5 security patch) and just got GA! The only thing I did was to follow someone's suggestion (on this thread) to change my language to "English (US)" from "English (Canada)", though it breaks my heart to have to use US spelling, or teach the dictionary all my Canadian words.
    03-17-17 01:38 PM
    I have it. It's a lot nicer that it immediately prompts for voice. Just like the BlackBerry assistant did (still my favorite assistant app), although I wish I could just toggle it with the mute key instead of having to unlock the screen.
    03-17-17 02:04 PM
    I have it. It's a lot nicer that it immediately prompts for voice. Just like the BlackBerry assistant did (still my favorite assistant app), although I wish I could just toggle it with the mute key instead of having to unlock the screen.
    You could enable "Trusted voice" to unlock and immediately activate GA. The only "gotcha" with Trusted voice is that if you ever lose network connection (as in airplane mode) you'll have to re-train it.
    03-17-17 08:37 PM
    I meant when I would turn it on using the "home" button. It used to go straight into the useless google app (which has the UX of windows 3.1). Now they have finally taken a cue from Apple and BlackBerry and it goes straight into listening mode.

Trust me, even when I'm alone I feel like an ***** if I say "ok google" out loud. I disabled that option when I noticed it would drain my battery at times.

Edit: some fun
    03-17-17 08:45 PM

Trust me, even when I'm alone I feel like an ***** if I say "ok google" out loud. I disabled that option when I noticed it would drain my battery at times.

Edit: some fun
    Yeah. I wish it was possible to customize the wake up phrase.
    03-18-17 07:27 AM
    I'm on 6.0.1 (with Feb 5 security patch) and just got GA! The only thing I did was to follow someone's suggestion (on this thread) to change my language to "English (US)" from "English (Canada)", though it breaks my heart to have to use US spelling, or teach the dictionary all my Canadian words.
    I understand how difficult it can be since the Canadian alphabet starts with eh! 😂😂
    Colin Wu, FF22, jakie55 and 1 others like this.
    03-18-17 09:21 AM
    I understand how difficult it can be since the Canadian alphabet starts with eh! 😂😂
    Eh to Zed.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-18-17 12:40 PM
122 12345