Can anyone tell me how Chen plans on launching two devices by end of the year, yet will make a decision about hardware by September?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 08:53 AM
    Chen explained in one recent interview that someone asked him something about hardware last September and he replied "Give me a year" so this September is that year. He also knows that it doesn't take long to find out whether a hardware launch is successful or not. Despite what some people think around here, these products don't just catch on at some point. You know what you have within a couple months of launch.

Either that or he already knows what he's going to do even though the new hardware was scheduled and committed to a year ago. There almost certainly is a contract with a manufacturer that was established last year.
    04-10-16 08:57 AM
    Chen explained in one recent interview that someone asked him something about hardware last September and he replied "Give me a year" so this September is that year. He also knows that it doesn't take long to find out whether a hardware launch is successful or not. Despite what some people think around here, these products don't just catch on at some point. You know what you have within a couple months of launch.

Either that or he already knows what he's going to do even though the new hardware was scheduled and committed to a year ago. There almost certainly is a contract with a manufacturer that was established last year.
    I see. Makes sense. He has financial obligations with manufacturers, so he has to release the phones, regardless of the end point.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 09:28 AM
    I just don't understand why more people haven't asked this question.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 11:22 AM
    He knows that it doesn't take long to find out whether a hardware launch is successful or not. Despite what some people think around here, these products don't just catch on at some point. You know what you have within a couple months of launch.
    The interesting thing is the Priv was never really "launched" or promoted in any real way. It essentially showed up at carriers 2 at a time and the general public had no idea.

If they "launch" the next product in the same way it will fail, regardless of price point.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DetritalGeo; 04-10-16 at 08:44 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-10-16 11:31 AM
    The carriers determine the scope of the launch because they're the ones who decide if and when they carry the phones, whether they are stocked at the stores, the price point, and the amount of advertising. Most of them even demand some say about the design of the phone. And, of course, they usually get exclusives unless the handset is an iPhone or Samsung with the market power to dictate a simultaneous launch.
    04-10-16 12:21 PM
    The interesting thing is the Priv was never really "launched" or promoted in any real way. It essentially showed up at carriers 2 at a time and the general public had no idea.

If the "launch" the next product in the same way it will fail, regardless of price point.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 12:23 PM

If the "launch" the next product in the same way it will fail, regardless of price point.

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case, one has to wonder whether it's on purpose. What's the endgame here?
    04-10-16 08:36 PM