Hi all, new user here. I've been on a cycle the past many years of moving from iOS to android and never really being satisfied with either for long. IOS is too restrictive and android always bogs down and is buggy. Granted the majority of the Android devices I've had were Samsung and that's likely the problem.

I got an S7 edge launch week and used it for 14 days. It's a sexy phone but alas it was buggy and laggy and I couldn't hold it on the sides without messing with the screen.

So I returned it last weekend and picked up a Priv on a whim. It was between that, a V10 or a 6P. There's a lot about the V10 that I liked but the Priv just kinda called to me.

A few days in I'm really liking it, more than I thought I would. I'm slowly getting used to the pkb. One thing I appreciate so far it the predictive text implementation and the noninvasive autocorrect. iOS is terrible about over correcting and I always felt like I spent more time correcting autocorrect. Thew predictive text is literally the best I've used. I can actually accept suggestions easily from the start. I haven't been able to do that before. I've completed entire sentences with it!

But it's not all roses. I was really disappointed in the headphone volume on the way to work this morning. I'm using pretty typical headphone (audio technica M50X) and there just wasn't enough juice to drive them.

This may ultimately be a deal breaker for me. I'm a musician and spend a lot of my day with cans on. Listening may be the number one use I have for a phone.

Any thoughts? Anyone know what DAC is in the Priv? I know the V10 has a pretty beefy DAC but there's so much otherwise I like about. The Priv!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-28-16 10:25 PM
    What player are you using ?It definitely makes a difference!

03-28-16 10:46 PM
    Play Music, iTunes Music, Audible, Podcast Republic. All were pretty low in volume. At max volume I could hear everything OK, but I wanted another notch or three, especially for quieter sources. Podcasts are notoriously all over the place.

I could use more sensitive headphones that are more easily driven, but the M50-X is, like, the most popular OTE headphone in the world right now. The Priv should be able to drive any source using those cans and have room left over.
    03-28-16 11:18 PM
    Did you use the volume up button on the side, and then accept the warning notification on the screen that 'prolonged use of headphones above this level may cause damage'? That gives you a couple of extra dBs.

But yeah it really depends on the player. It's a bit strange. Sometimes Neutron isn't as loud as I'd like.

That being said, I use some Shure SE846sn and they are really easily driven.

03-29-16 01:43 AM
    I think if you crank up the volume past the warning, then it should be loud enough, especially if your using those in-ear types of earbuds... if not, then you have a real demand for loudness XD

On a side note, i am actually really interested in getting the S7 Edge. Its surprising that you do not enjoy using it...to me its a really nice looking phone, and looks comfortable to use.

03-29-16 03:51 AM
    I was using my Marley headphone and noticed that the sound was low even on max volume. It's not the app. (PowerAMP).

The HTC M9 while having an extremely loose headphone jack, had great sound quality both externally and through the Marley headphones. The Z30 was even better.

The priv is just too low. But I've gotten used to it.
    03-29-16 05:59 AM
    You need to try the app usb audio player , or onkyo or even neutron to get better sounds they ar all audiophile type also the best there is!

03-29-16 06:23 AM
    Hmm. I don't get a warning. It just goes up.

I don't think I can use third party players with streaming services can I?

03-29-16 07:23 AM
    I had the v10 and all those extra features it had really felt like gimmicks.

1. Finger print scanner took several tries to work
    2. Front facing cameras took horrible pictures
    3. Manual mode is not that great, can only adjust iso and shutter speed. I know asking for aperture settings is not possible in a small lens but it's something that you really use when you shoot a real camera in manual.
    4. Second screen is just useless and a battery hog.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 07:24 AM
    Im pretty sure neutron offers streaming services , another is powered amp or player pro but the sound is not on par with the others!

03-29-16 07:31 AM
    Just downloaded Neutron. Can't play streaming services like Apple Music. It can stream FTP, but at this point I have all my digital music in the cloud. I don't even have local versions of my music files. They're on a backup drive somewhere.

03-29-16 08:04 AM
    Did you enable headphone audio boost? Should be an option under Volume settings.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    03-29-16 08:33 AM
    Maybe try starting a new thread regarding the low volume on priv and maybe others who have figured it out can help
    FF22 likes this.
    03-29-16 08:35 AM
    The volume is one thing that i hate about the Priv. Im in NYC and when on the train, i need the volume to be louder than usual. I've opened a thread about this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...olume-1067094/

No one has a solution for this.
    03-29-16 09:01 AM
    Unfortunately, the Priv won't be able to be rooted, so you lose the ability to adjust audio settings on your own. Have you possibly tried a volume/sound booster app from the play store? There is some equalizer apps that you could possibly take advantage of also.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 09:12 AM
    No volume boost setting in the settings.

I've read through a lot of the threads to no avail. I'll keep looking.

03-29-16 09:18 AM
    I believe this volume boost warning option only shows up when headphones are plugged in and when you turn volume up as high as you can. Make sure you are on "media" volume when performing this while headphones are plugged in. Notification will pop up when at full volume then press "OK"
    If not, reset device by holding power button down till it turns off and try again.

Posted from my Priv
    03-29-16 09:40 AM
    That's the thing...I don;t get that warning. I have on the Samsung devices, but not on my Priv. I was actually happy for it because I hate having the press that thing every time I put on headphones.
    Pinot2015 likes this.
    03-29-16 09:45 AM
    The volume is one thing that i hate about the Priv. Im in NYC and when on the train, i need the volume to be louder than usual. I've opened a thread about this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...olume-1067094/

No one has a solution for this.
    There's a problem in trying to overcome loud background noise by boosting volume. Hearing loss. In the old days I had a wind-trainer for my bike. It was very loud. So I would boost the TV volume way up. I would stop cycling and found the tv volume painful. There's only so far anyone should boost volume to overcome background noise or give it up and find another entertainment on the NYC subway! And, yes, I'm originally from Da Bronx and commuted to HS via subway and EL.
    03-29-16 10:02 AM
    I agree, the headphone volume is pathetically limited, and I have no solution. All I can say is I hope it can be improved with Marshmallow and not limited to HW. Even the crappy old legacy BlackBerry's had better volume.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 10:02 AM
    There's a problem in trying to overcome loud background noise by boosting volume. Hearing loss. In the old days I had a wind-trainer for my bike. It was very loud. So I would boost the TV volume way up. I would stop cycling and found the tv volume painful. There's only so far anyone should boost volume to overcome background noise or give it up and find another entertainment on the NYC subway! And, yes, I'm originally from Da Bronx and commuted to HS via subway and EL.
    I had no problem with my Passport, i wouldnt even need to have it at its loudest. The volume on the priv is super low and I cant listen to audiobooks when commuting anymore because of it.
    03-29-16 10:18 AM
    I would call BlackBerry. http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/...by-blackberry/

You get 12 months support so hopefully they can explain how you can override volume cap.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    03-29-16 10:24 AM
    I had no problem with my Passport, i wouldnt even need to have it at its loudest. The volume on the priv is super low and I cant listen to audiobooks when commuting anymore because of it.
    Noise cancelling headphones maybe a better option? Over the last couple of years my hearing has started to go (workin clubs, motorbikes, extraction fans etc over the years) and you don't realise how much a feckin horrible thing it is. It sneaks up on you and gradually gets worse till you see people's faces and how annoyed they are at having to repeat themselves again and again as I repeatedly say "what?"

Like your back and knees, look after your ears cos once their gone their gone and it sucks

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-29-16 10:57 AM
    I dont think its the headphones or me when other are complaining about it as well.
    03-29-16 11:12 AM
    But it's not all roses. I was really disappointed in the headphone volume on the way to work this morning. I'm using pretty typical headphone (audio technica M50X) and there just wasn't enough juice to drive them.
    yep. Althought I don't like to listen very loud, I have the Studio AIAIAI phones, and find myself always very close to max volume. So I can understand some people might want more volume if they want to listen louder.
    03-29-16 12:05 PM
36 12