Google photos app is so slow I find, and now it doesn't even load the photos I took last night prior to the MM update. I don't think the MM update has anything to do with it, it was always pretty terrible. Also my backup stuff is off to try and make the app run quicker. Can anyone help?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-04-16 01:13 PM
    I'd like the same... ridiculous amount of time to load each folder (ostensibly from a cloud, I presume) ...but i have my pics saved to sd card so dont know what the issue is... fixable? Better app?
    05-04-16 01:20 PM
    Everytime I try to load a photo it just crashes.
    05-04-16 01:39 PM
    I'd imagine it probably didn't pick up on the mount point changes that MM brought to external SD cards, and so it's choking on trying to load a now non-existent path. Personally, I've been using a version of QuickPic from before the current spamware company bought it out, and it has worked flawlessly and fast for me.
    05-04-16 01:53 PM
    It was good on beta MM but not on public MM. Not sure why. I'm back to QuickPic and will stay there so you should download that and uninstall Google Photos

Posted from Priv
    05-04-16 02:06 PM
    Google photos app is so slow I find, and now it doesn't even load the photos I took last night prior to the MM update. I don't think the MM update has anything to do with it, it was always pretty terrible. Also my backup stuff is off to try and make the app run quicker. Can anyone help?

I've had problems with Google photos not being able to delete pictures. Try an app called piktures. (Yes with a K). Easy to use and no problems yet.

05-04-16 06:33 PM
    I've had problems with Google photos not being able to delete pictures. Try an app called piktures. (Yes with a K). Easy to use and no problems yet.

Piktures is running slow for me on MM. Takes forever to load photos. Not happy. Have deleted and reinstalled with no change

my first foray into droidlandia
    05-04-16 10:09 PM
    My issues pretty much disappeared when I stopped using my SD card. I assumed my card was damaged but seeing as others are having the same issue maybe it's a Priv problem?

05-04-16 10:13 PM
    My issues pretty much disappeared when I stopped using my SD card. I assumed my card was damaged but seeing as others are having the same issue maybe it's a Priv problem?

Same problem here and the pics I took sometimes are damaged. Not sure why and my new TF card is on the way.

Posted via the CrackBerry App with My beloved BlackBerry Priv
    05-05-16 07:55 AM
    Same problem here and the pics I took sometimes are damaged. Not sure why and my new TF card is on the way.

Posted via the CrackBerry App with My beloved BlackBerry Priv
    Did you guys upgrade to MM with your SD card still in?

Posted from Priv
    05-05-16 08:08 AM
    Did you guys upgrade to MM with your SD card still in?

Posted from Priv
    I did, and have had no issue, but I've been using my old version of quickpic all along, so that might explain things for me. Additionally, all of my pictures are on my SD card, and in case it somehow helps people, I have a 32GB Kingston UHS1 card.

Further, for anyone that is having issues with apps deleting pictures, that's probably related to permissions. When you first attempt to delete something, the app will prompt you to select the mount point at which to allow it access to the storage, and if you happened to choose the wrong location, then that would explain the issue. I imagine the best resolution would be to reset the permissions for the apps afflicted from the app info page, and then attempt to delete something again, and this time be sure you're selecting the right location. Personally, I just grant access to the root folder of whatever it is I'm working with, that way the app for sure has access to all the right places. For those with security concerns, that might not be recommended, but I do not have such concerns.
    05-05-16 08:14 AM
    I did, and have had no issue, but I've been using my old version of quickpic all along, so that might explain things for me. Additionally, all of my pictures are on my SD card, and in case it somehow helps people, I have a 32GB Kingston UHS1 card.

Further, for anyone that is having issues with apps deleting pictures, that's probably related to permissions. When you first attempt to delete something, the app will prompt you to select the mount point at which to allow it access to the storage, and if you happened to choose the wrong location, then that would explain the issue. I imagine the best resolution would be to reset the permissions for the apps afflicted from the app info page, and then attempt to delete something again, and this time be sure you're selecting the right location. Personally, I just grant access to the root folder of whatever it is I'm working with, that way the app for sure has access to all the right places. For those with security concerns, that might not be recommended, but I do not have such concerns.
    Would you mind specifying which version you use. I've read the the current version or maybe developer is possibly less trustworthy and folks prefer the older version by the previous developer.
    05-05-16 09:44 AM
    Would you mind specifying which version you use. I've read the the current version or maybe developer is possibly less trustworthy and folks prefer the older version by the previous developer.
    Yeah, that's exactly right, Cheetah Mobile acquired QuickPic sometime last year, if I recall correctly, and Cheetah is well known as a poor app company, often inserting ads into the apps they acquire, monetizing them in various other ways by collecting and selling your metadata, and in general, is considered awful. The version I have installed is 4.5.2 which is the last version released by original developers, Q-Supreme Team, and can be easily found with a quick online search. Just be sure to disable auto updating for the app in the Play Store after you install it so it doesn't replace it with the current version.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-05-16 10:30 AM
    Piktures is running slow for me on MM. Takes forever to load photos. Not happy. Have deleted and reinstalled with no change

I'm on version 2.1.310 for Piktures app. I just checked. I've had it since lollipop and both then and now on marshmallow I have no problems. Very fast to open, delete and scroll through pictures and videos.

05-05-16 03:14 PM

Sebstarr.... Run Piktures for a few days and see see if it improves with possibly an upgrade. There are constant upgrades coming in.

05-05-16 03:18 PM
    QuickPic on Marshmallow only asks for storage permission which means big brother is not watching so all need to relax on that idea. They have no access to your pictures or device.
    Everyone should check permissions for every app. Facebook is way worse than QuickPic so it's up to the paranoid to shut permissions off.

Posted from Priv
    05-05-16 03:36 PM
    if you had photos on the sd card, it's *possible* the mountpoint rename in Marshmallow could be the problem. you can clear Photo's cache and force it to re-scan by navigating to settings->apps->Photos->data usage->clear data + clear cache.
    I don't think you would need to reboot after, but it's possible.
    05-05-16 04:11 PM
    QuickPic on Marshmallow only asks for storage permission which means big brother is not watching so all need to relax on that idea. They have no access to your pictures or device.
    Everyone should check permissions for every app. Facebook is way worse than QuickPic so it's up to the paranoid to shut permissions off.

Posted from Priv
    The concern over QuickPic is that the current company that owns the app is known to the community to collect metadata with or without permissions and push bad ads through their apps, the sort that try to convince you that you have a virus and require their security and antivirus apps to deal with it, which invariably require payment in order to remove the 'virus'. While QuickPic may or may not be doing this at this time, there's almost no way of truly knowing whether it will eventually start doing the same or not. But, take it as you will, seeing as privacy and security is largely a myth anyway...
    05-05-16 04:21 PM
    I have not used the Google storage app or any other cloud based app yet for my Priv photos and videos. So far I have them being stored on my SD card and periodically port them to my computer. The Priv has 18 Megapixels resolution and according to info I have found about Google storage, the free storage at higher than 16 megapixels per pic is limited. (There is also a limit for videos.) I assume more storage can then be purchased. Is this a question that is asked when you first go about setting up the storage? Plus, what kind of specs are available for the other apps mentioned in this thread. Has anyone tried Flikr?
    Note the following info. about Google's limits to free storage for photos and videos. https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en
    05-05-16 07:17 PM
    Sebstarr.... Run Piktures for a few days and see see if it improves with possibly an upgrade. There are constant upgrades coming in.

Piktures has improved for me. At some point my priv lost the SD card connection and when I mounted it again through solid explorer and then piktures it improved the function and speed

05-26-16 06:31 AM