Anyone have this issue? Just did the latest update today from Google play and now all new text messages show up as unread whether they are read or not.
    02-21-17 03:42 PM
    Maybe try restarting the phone and see if that helps?
    Cong Tuan Nguyen likes this.
    02-21-17 08:00 PM
    That didn't help. Tried that already. Thanks for the suggestion
    02-21-17 09:25 PM
    Use Yaata instead. I works better, and has dark theme.
    zack west likes this.
    02-21-17 10:35 PM
    I took a quick look at the reviews on Google Play. Looks like other have the same issue. I think I'll wait a bit before updating.
    02-21-17 10:39 PM
    Thanks all. I tried yaata and textra for awhile and then google messenger got better. I'll wait for an updated.
    02-21-17 10:51 PM
    I have the same problem. In the hub highlight the message and then Mark it as read. (Option under the three dots) This has worked for me a few times. Good Luck!

Learn from my mistake, don't update yet!
    02-21-17 10:55 PM
    I disabled auto updates. Now does anyone know how to go back to the previous version? What happens if I click uninstall ?
    02-21-17 11:17 PM
    I disabled auto updates. Now does anyone know how to go back to the previous version? What happens if I click uninstall ?
    It will go back to the preinstalled factory version, which didn't work that well.

Best bet is to find an APK online, uninstall, which makes it base version, and then install that APK over it.

Then don't allow updates until it's fixed.
    Who-cut-the-cheese likes this.
    02-21-17 11:25 PM
    John V,
    Thanks for the response. I don't even know the prior version or base version. On second thought, to me this seems more of an issue with hub than messenger. It seems the update does not play well with the hub. The message shows read in messenger. It's the hub that shows the message as unread when it was read.

Thoughts anyone?
    02-21-17 11:50 PM
    John V,
    Thanks for the response. I don't even know the prior version or base version. On second thought, to me this seems more of an issue with hub than messenger. It seems the update does not play well with the hub. The message shows read in messenger. It's the hub that shows the message as unread when it was read.

Thoughts anyone?
    In thinking about this problem, the issue did not exist until I updated Google messenger. I found the needed APK to downgrade if I go down that path. This site looks to be a great resource: APKMirror - Free APK Downloads - #APKPLZ #SOONBACKANSWER
    mariecat likes this.
    02-22-17 06:59 AM
    Same here. Messenger itself shows them as read but Hub doesn't! Driving me nuts I hope they fix that soon!
    02-22-17 10:32 AM
    All -

I resolved the problem:

1) Under security - Enable the setting that allows you to install from other resources
    2) Uninstall current version of Google messenger (This will bring you back to the base version of messenger)
    3) Download prior version. Based on my research this is what I used: Google Messenger 2.0.770 (3645109-40.phone) (arm64) (nodpi) (Android 4.4+) APK Download by Google Inc. - APKMirror

4) Download the APK file. Once downloaded click on it to install. (Do this right from the device)
    5) Enable security setting again
    6)Test messenger. - Have someone send you a txt message
    7) Disable auto update under the Google play store settings
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Who-cut-the-cheese; 02-22-17 at 03:36 PM. Reason: updated with another step
    FF22 and Protocol 2001 like this.
    02-22-17 03:22 PM
    All -

I resolved the problem:

1) Under security - Enable the setting that allows you to install from other resources
    2) Uninstall current version of Google messenger (This will bring you back to the base version of messenger)
    3) Download prior version. Based on my research this is what I used: Google Messenger 2.0.770 (3645109-40.phone) (arm64) (nodpi) (Android 4.4+) APK Download by Google Inc. - APKMirror

4) Download the APK file. Once downloaded click on it to install. (Do this right from the device)

Good Luck!
    I think you need to add one more step. If your trying to use an old version of an app you must disable auto update for that app. Otherwise Google Play will automatically "revert" it to the latest update.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-22-17 03:29 PM
    I think you need to add one more step. If your trying to use an old version of an app you must disable auto update for that app. Otherwise Google Play will automatically "revert" it to the latest update.
    Good Catch. I had auto update already disabled.
    02-22-17 03:34 PM
    Good Catch. I had auto update already disabled.
    Figured you probably did.
    For anyone who just wants to disable updates of messenger (instead of all apps), open the messenger app page on Google Play. You'll find the option to disable auto update in the three dot menu in the top right corner.
    Who-cut-the-cheese likes this.
    02-22-17 03:38 PM
    One more thing. Thanks to John Vieira for getting me on the right track!
    02-22-17 03:49 PM
    I'm having same issue. I'm hoping a Hub update will resolve it. I can't see google updating their messenger app because of a few lonely BlackBerry users are having a problem
    02-23-17 10:49 AM
    This is bullcrap!! I knew I shouldn't have did that pointless update! The last few updates for Google messenger have been pointless, saw no new changes at all!
    02-23-17 12:56 PM
    All -

I resolved the problem:

7) Disable auto update under the Google play store settings
    Good Luck!
    Lol... wow!
    02-23-17 03:05 PM
    This is bullcrap!! I knew I shouldn't have did that pointless update! The last few updates for Google messenger have been pointless, saw no new changes at all!
    Chill out. You still get your notification in the tray and I'm sure it will get fixed in short order. It's not the end of the world.
    02-23-17 03:26 PM
    Chill out. You still get your notification in the tray and I'm sure it will get fixed in short order. It's not the end of the world.
    I know it's not the end of the world. But it is counter productive and annoying! Because if I don't remember to take that extra step to manually mark as read, then I either think it's a new message or a message I already checked. Either of the 2 is an inconvenience..
    02-23-17 04:16 PM
    FYI, it's a PITA issue, but no need to manually mark every individual text as read. Just long hold the date bar and mark all prior as read. Still an unnecessary step, but easier than one by one.
    02-23-17 04:33 PM
    Or you can do what I did. Total time to fix is 2 minutes or less. Good Luck!
    02-23-17 04:55 PM
    Update for Messenger is out. New name. Android messages.
    02-24-17 08:49 AM
67 123