Do you need to create or use a Google account to setup and/or use the BlackBerry Priv?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 04:51 AM
    Probably. Do we need a Google account for blackphone 2, Turing and boeing black?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 05:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:04 AM
    Yes, the consumer must always 1) create a Google account and 2) register an Android device with Google in order to buy and/or download apps.

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    10-08-15 06:13 AM
    Yes, the consumer must always 1) create a Google account and 2) register an Android device with Google in order to buy and/or download apps.

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    So much for the Priv being a phone focused on privacy then... With Google being mandatory....

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm, WT44 and muellerto like this.
    10-08-15 06:21 AM
    Do you need to create or use a Google account to setup and/or use the BlackBerry Priv?

Posted via CB10
    You can use any Android device without creating or sign-in a Google account. However your experience will be limited: No access to Google Play Store would be the biggest example.
    I am pretty sure you won't *need* a Google account to use the Priv either, yet I raises the question of why getting one in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:28 AM
    You can use any Android device without creating or sign-in a Google account. However your experience will be limited: No access to Google Play Store would be the biggest example.
    I am pretty sure you won't *need* a Google account to use the Priv either, yet I raises the question of why getting one in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    I remove Google services from my Androids as soon as I unbox them... My Androids function just fine without them... If you don't use invasive apps you don't miss a thing... There is nothing Google offers that I personally need...

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:45 AM
    So much for the Priv being a phone focused on privacy then... With Google being mandatory....

Posted via CB10
    Yes, just because you have an Android phone doesn't automatically give the user access to Google Play. You still have to register an account with Google, then register an Android device, and then download Google Play store and Google services, as well as other Google apps like maps. Google is really taking over the mobile world!!

10-08-15 10:33 AM
    I remove Google services from my Androids as soon as I unbox them... My Androids function just fine without them... If you don't use invasive apps you don't miss a thing... There is nothing Google offers that I personally need...

Posted via CB10
    But you can't just remove Google Services from your Android phone, You'll have to root it first don't you

Posted via CB10
    boozanag likes this.
    10-08-15 10:41 AM
    10-08-15 10:41 AM
    The Press Release says: " the new device will provide a choice in OS to new and existing customers", so to me that would mean that you can choose whether you want it to run Android or BB10.
    If I get the priv, I will keep my z10 to use cobalt's method to get apps. That way I won't register a google account on the priv.

The only android apps I use are mathlab calculator and the cross me game anyways.
    10-10-15 10:33 PM
    If I get the priv, I will keep my z10 to use cobalt's method to get apps. That way I won't register a google account on the priv.

The only android apps I use are mathlab calculator and the cross me game anyways.
    Priv does not run BB10 apps. You won't have anything other than what you already have or you have to side load APKs.
    10-11-15 12:31 AM
    When I first got the Z30, I was able to easily transfer my contacts from my old Android by signing in to Gmail on my Z30. I was able to sync my calendar, notes, and even bring a few paid apps from Google Play through Snap into my new BlackBerry. It was amazing!!

The Priv sounds like it will be the perfect merger between Android and BlackBerry. I'm already using Google Services more or less on my Z30. Now I won't have to go through so many loops and hurdles to make it work.

Some of my friends are waiting for this too. They can't do their work without Google Drive. They are still hardcore Google Maps users. They want their physical keyboards back - but they are tired of the constant syncing, checking, and data drains when they aren't using their phone. They're tired of background apps, widgets, and other things sucking the battery life out of their phones.

I'm seriously hoping the Priv will be able to remedy these shortcomings between Android and BlackBerry. As I write this, it's been 48 hours since I charged my Z30, and it will fully charge from 4% to 100% in the next 2 hours. Looking forward to signing in to Google Play on the Priv. Hoping BlackBerry continues to make phones, BB10 or Android based!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 08:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 05:49 AM