My friend wants to borrow my Priv to try it out. I agreed because while the Priv is fun, the Classic is a true workhorse.

So, I will go back to the Classic for a while. Since BB Desktop Manager nor the BB LInk do not work for the Priv, what is the best way to backup the content in the Priv to somewhere?

More specically, I do not want to transfer the content to the Classic. Obviously I will wipe the Priv before I give it to my friend and I would like to restore the content back when I get it back.
    Last edited by mis3; 04-02-16 at 11:48 AM.
    04-02-16 11:35 AM
    My good friend wants to borrow my Priv for a few weeks, I agreed because while the Priv is fun, the Classic
    You were saying?
    04-02-16 11:41 AM
    My friend wants to borrow my Priv to try it out. M I agreed because while the Priv is fun but the Classic is a true workhorse.

So, I will go back to the Classic for a while. Since BB Desktop Manager nor the BB LInk do not work for the Priv, what is the best way to backup the content in the Priv to somewhere?

More specically, I do not want to transfer the content to the Classic. Obviously I will wipe the Priv before I give it to my friend and I would like to restore the content back when I get it back.
    There is NO one tool to back up the Priv. I use the Google Cloud for Contacts and Calendar. I manually use drop/drag/copy/paste to back up music, video, pictures, documents, etc to my computer. Email is generally retained on various servers.

Your apps will still be available when you come back.

I believe that I've read some apps and their data can be backed up but don't recall details.

Let us know how the switch back to the Classic goes and whether you miss the Priv or not!
    04-02-16 11:50 AM
    Thanks. How do I backup the Contacts to Google Cloud? Can I back up the Notes as well?

I just checked the Priv's Backup and Reset, it has an option to "Back up my data", is this where I would backup the contacts?
    04-02-16 12:10 PM
    I have a Gmail account (actually, two on the phone). When I established my primary gmail account on the phone, there is an option to sync Contacts and Calendar. I accepted those (who knows what google is doing with that data!!!). That takes care of my Contacts and Calendar.

I've not used the Backup/Reset option. So I don't know how well it performs.
    04-02-16 12:22 PM
    I have a Gmail account (actually, two on the phone). When I established my primary gmail account on the phone, there is an option to sync Contacts and Calendar. I accepted those (who knows what google is doing with that data!!!). That takes care of my Contacts and Calendar.
    I went to Settings, then GeneRal Settings in the Gmail app. There are 2 options in Gmail default setting: Archive and Delete. Is this it?

Also, everytime I add a new contact to the Priv, it would ask me to save in Local Contacts, Outlook (my office email) or Google (my Gmail). I always choose Local Contacts. How do I put all my local contacts to Google?
    Last edited by mis3; 04-02-16 at 01:31 PM.
    04-02-16 12:59 PM
    I went to Settings, then GeneRal Settings in the Gmail app. There are 2 options in Gmail default setting: Archive and Delete. Is this it?

Also, everytime I add a new contact to the Priv, it would ask me to save in Local Contacts, Outlook (my office email) or Google (my Gmail). I always choose Local Contacts. How do I put all my local contacts to Google?

If may be that you have to set that up when first establishing the account and that means establishing the Account in the Hub as opposed to the Gmail separate app.

I am not sure if you can change the settings. I just looked but did not see a way. (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) So you might have to delete the account and reestablish it and then OKAY using Contacts and Calendar.

As for moving or copying LOCAL contacts, I'm not sure of that. Sorry. I'm still fairly new with Android and the Priv.
    04-02-16 03:59 PM
    I switched back to the Classic today. Other than the smaller screen, I was very comfortable with the Classics. I did not wipe the Classic when I switched over a few months so all the settings were intact in the Classic.

I sent a few work emails and many SMS this afternoon and the typing and the user interface were absolute delights. In my opinion and at least for me, the Classic is far more productive than the Priv.

Mind you that I use my handset strictly for phone, voice and SMS. I used the Priv for maybe a month and I downloaded only 2 apps.
    Last edited by mis3; 04-03-16 at 09:20 PM.
    acovey likes this.
    04-03-16 09:09 PM
    I switched back to the Classic today. Other than the smaller screen, I was very comfortable with the Classics. I did not wipe the Classic when I switched over a few months so all the settings were intact in the Classic.

I sent a few work emails and many SMS this afternoon and the typing and the user interface were absolute delights. In my opinion and at least for me, the Classic is far more productive than the Priv.

Mind you that I use my handset strictly for phone, voice and SMS. I used the Priv for maybe a month and I downloaded only 2 apps.
    Well, if you don't need or want a slew of apps, then you probably can be satisfied by the BB10 offerings. The Classic certainly sounds like it serves your needs and there's nothing wrong with that. The OS and Hub are certainly more fluid and, I think, natural.
    acovey likes this.
    04-03-16 09:49 PM
    Classic is a great phone. I have one and I can totally understand how compelling the device is. It's a real beauty, I must say. BlackBerry 10 is amazing! I love my Priv too, but I also really love BlackBerry 10!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-03-16 11:42 PM
    I have a Classic as well and it's the best true Blackberry experience you can get.
    04-03-16 11:53 PM

I'm back to my classic and passport and you are right the classic is soooooooooooooooo much better .the pkb is just so nice to use I found the privs too small and no feedback from the keys when using it and bb10 is just right , on android everything was all over the place I'm not an app junkie I don't let them rule my life so for me bb10 is just perfect
    04-04-16 12:33 AM
    I sold my SE PP and wanted to give the Priv a try and found a CD member that I bought my Classic from her had a Brand New Priv with a deal of the century so I bought it. I was leary of the Android OS and it took me a few days and some frustrating times to do what I thought would be easy like BB10, but I realized there is a App for that, and a app for this.

So three weeks into the Priv I really like the Priv and it has some quirks but I fired up the Classic to let me clear up all the emails since I lasted fired it up and all the swipping came back. BB10 OS is a very good OS and the Android OS is pretty nice with the options of so many apps. I was never a app person but there are so many apps that are appealing and im sure over time I will delete those I have not used.

So IMHO the winner is Priv and BB10 both are superior and both have their quirks

Long live BlackBerry
    04-04-16 06:47 AM