Hi All, I've taken the plunge and am upgrading to a priv from my 9810. My question is, I have few old blackberry branded chargers for the 9810 that have swapable plugs so I can use in Europe, North America etc. Will they work with the priv?

Also, can you customise sound notifications on the priv? I mean can you have different sounds for email, texts and BBM?

Thanks.
    09-29-16 08:48 AM
    The priv is micro USB. Is the 9810 mini or micro?

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    09-29-16 09:02 AM
    The priv is micro USB. Is the 9810 mini or micro?

Yes, you can customize many of the notification sounds. Some apps just go to the default that set, but email, text, phone calls, etc have their own settings. You can also change the led color except stock messenger is blue and BlackBerry calendar is green (I couldn't find anyway to change those)

09-29-16 09:05 AM
    Hi All, I've taken the plunge and am upgrading to a priv from my 9810. My question is, I have few old blackberry branded chargers for the 9810 that have swapable plugs so I can use in Europe, North America etc. Will they work with the priv?

Also, can you customise sound notifications on the priv? I mean can you have different sounds for email, texts and BBM?

Thanks.
    Congratulations on your upgrade. I think you will be amazed at the power of the Priv. You can customize the notification sounds between apps like email, bbm etc.

As a former 9810 owner, the transition will be pretty smooth for you. The browser is blazing fast compared to old BBOS. Lots of storage space via the SD card.

Are you getting an unlocked one? Marshmallow OS upgrade makes a big difference in phone heat and battery life.
    09-29-16 09:17 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting my priv from the carphonewarehouse which I believe are unlocked. I got my 9810 from there and that's unlocked.

Good to know you can have different sound notifications for different messaging apps I find that useful. Whether the 9810's charging port is mini or micro I'm not sure, I'll have to research that one a bit more.
    09-29-16 12:47 PM
    Just done a bit of research and it appears the 9810 has a micro usb port, so presumably my older Blackberry chargers will work fine.
    09-29-16 12:58 PM
    Your old chargers will plug into the Priv, but the charge rate might be pitifully slow. The Priv's high capacity battery likes a lot of juice to charge. The little cube chargers that came with my z10 hardly budge the battery, but my old BlackBerry OEM car charger works perfectly. Just try them out and test how long they take to charge. I highly recommended getting a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 charger cube for rapid charging. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

Posted via my Verizon Priv
    tnewton3 likes this.
    09-29-16 01:46 PM
    And sliced bread is nice. Especially with peanut butter and jelly on it.
    FF22, andy957 and rickkel like this.
    09-29-16 02:09 PM
    Your old chargers will plug into the Priv, but the charge rate might be pitifully slow. The Priv's high capacity battery likes a lot of juice to charge. The little cube chargers that came with my z10 hardly budge the battery, but my old BlackBerry OEM car charger works perfectly. Just try them out and test how long they take to charge. I highly recommended getting a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 charger cube for rapid charging. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

I would agree with this. Most old BlackBerry chargers seem to be 1.3. I had a generic 1.8 and used it for the priv. The 1.3 was like a trickle charger. So I would also recommend getting a 2.0 mAh charger. The cable that comes with the priv will support it, so you just need the wall piece with a USB input

raelbb likes this.
    09-29-16 05:23 PM
    And sliced bread is nice. Especially with peanut butter and jelly on it.
    A bitterish orange marmalade is preferred.
    newcollector, Bay 13 and rickkel like this.
    09-29-16 05:29 PM

As I'm travelling overseas shortly I thought I'd give one of my old chargers a try. The charger I used came with a BlackBerry Curve back in 2010 and has an output of 5v - 750mA. Surprisingly it only took just under four hours to charge from 25% to full. No good if you want a quick full charge but not bad if you tend to charge overnight. I checked the output on my Priv charger and that is 5v - 1300mA and that takes about three hours to do a similar charge, so not much difference really.
    01-17-17 02:36 PM
    With the age difference between the two phones, I would STRONGLY recommend new chargers with the PRIV.
    Years ago I had a 2400 baud dial-up modem for working from home. I got a new 9600 baud modem from the same manufacturer. I just plugged it into the old modem's power cord thinking "same brand, no problem" and I didn't want to crawl under the desk.
    WRONG! I had PITIFUL modem speeds until I tried the new power supply.

So, it may work but I wouldn't chance it.
    01-17-17 04:05 PM
    As I'm travelling overseas shortly I thought I'd give one of my old chargers a try. The charger I used came with a BlackBerry Curve back in 2010 and has an output of 5v - 750mA. Surprisingly it only took just under four hours to charge from 25% to full. No good if you want a quick full charge but not bad if you tend to charge overnight. I checked the output on my Priv charger and that is 5v - 1300mA and that takes about three hours to do a similar charge, so not much difference really.
    I got the new BlackBerry quick travel charger with plug you can change out. They are more expensive but completely worth it as far as I am concerned. I use the US plug at home and bought the European plug for a recent trip. I Love the speed with which my PRIV charges and it is handy when traveling if there is a short time at one spot to charge your phone. Another thing I took with me was one of those external battery chargers from BlackBerry--the large ones. On the way home from Europe the USB port at my seat was broken, as well as the one at the seat next to me where a family member was sitting & we both completely re-charged our phones with the big charger. Those are expensive but I bought one on sale as back up in case the power goes out for several hours at home. Something I learned a couple of years ago on another long flight: Don't count on being able to charge your phone on the plane using the USB ports at your seat. That is 2 for 2 now, that did not work.
    01-17-17 06:37 PM
    A bitterish orange marmalade is preferred.
    Honey with almond butter.
    01-17-17 06:44 PM
    With the age difference between the two phones, I would STRONGLY recommend new chargers with the PRIV.
    Years ago I had a 2400 baud dial-up modem for working from home. I got a new 9600 baud modem from the same manufacturer. I just plugged it into the old modem's power cord thinking "same brand, no problem" and I didn't want to crawl under the desk.
    WRONG! I had PITIFUL modem speeds until I tried the new power supply.

So, it may work but I wouldn't chance it.
    I think older chargers should be fine as long as the output in volts is the same as the charger that comes with the Priv. My main concern was how long it would take to charge being a much larger battery and the charger only putting out 750mA. Apparently slower charges lengthen a battery's life. The issue you had with the modem sounds like the new modem was trying to pull more amps than the old power supply could deliver, but I agree an easy mistake to make.
    01-18-17 07:44 AM
    I have an old Bold 9000 wall charger (retractable type)...still works fine with the Priv, albeit quite a bit slower. Well under 1000ma output if I recall correctly. The stock wall charger, by comparison, that comes with your new PRIV, is rated 1,300ma output. A QuickCharge 2 unit by comparison can get you charging at up to 2,100ma. That's close to quadruple what some of the older BlackBerrry chargers (from the BBOS era) will output.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-18-17 10:31 AM