It's been a while and I have been trying to get used to the File Manager Apps. Have tried a bunch of them but facing a few common issues with them. I will not yap about the annoying ads and childish designs etc. Focusing on the core issue:

What I am trying to do: Move files to specific folders (on the SD Card). If I try to do this from Google Photos (app), it works. Problem is, it won't create a new folder where I want it. Suppose, I want to move files to SD Card > Documents > Passport Copies > [New Folder].

What Google photos will do is - create a new folder as SD Card > [New Folder]

Now, to rectify this, I downloaded a file manager and decided to move the files using the file manager.

Most of the times, it wouldn't move the files (File Manager would stop or I would get that annoying message that Operation was unsuccessful). Yes, I have done the step to give the File Manager permission to write to SD Card. Operation Unsuccessful - it moves a few files but not all. Moving everything one by one is a freaking chore that I would prefer to avoid.

The few times that it did work, I would go back to Google Photos and it wouldn't display the correct folder. The images would be there, but showing under the label of the previous folder.

File Managers that I have tried (ES, Solid, ASUS, Amaze).

After that, I even tried to complete this task by hooking up the handset to the PC (USB Cable, Selecting File Transfer ... *rolls eyes). It did manage to move the files without much headache but the Google Photos issue remained (Images show but remain as if under the earlier folder).

Besides, it's not really convenient to hook up the phone to a PC / Laptop every time I want to organise my files / folders.

Can someone please tell me what is it that I am doing wrong? Or better yet, tell me a practical, feasible, least annoying way to resolve this issue?

Much appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 08-31-16 at 01:52 AM.
    08-31-16 01:32 AM
    Well I don't know the file manager but you can use quickpic app to do the things you want. I say you should give it a shot. You can add new folders etc when moving pics and vids.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...E6TOgAa9oYjABA
    08-31-16 01:35 AM
    Well I don't know the file manager but you can use quickpic app to do the things you want. I say you should give it a shot. You can add new folders etc when moving pics and vids.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...E6TOgAa9oYjABA
    Thank you. I have tried other Photo/Gallery apps as well.

Problem with those (or rather, my problem with those) is if I remove Google Photos, then Assigning pictures to contacts gets disabled (for some odd reason). At least, it DID in the past, perhaps after the updates this issue is resolved. I haven't tried it yet (note to self, will give this a shot as well).

The only feature I really wanted (from the gallery apps) was Nested Folders, but that seems to be considered a 'premium feature' by Android App Developers (found one app that supported it, and to unlock it, I would have to pay).

It will be a cold day in hell when I will agree to pay for a file manager app or a Gallery app.
    08-31-16 01:48 AM
    Thank you. I have tried other Photo/Gallery apps as well.

Problem with those (or rather, my problem with those) is if I remove Google Photos, then Assigning pictures to contacts gets disabled (for some odd reason). At least, it DID in the past, perhaps after the updates this issue is resolved. I haven't tried it yet (note to self, will give this a shot as well).

The only feature I really wanted (from the gallery apps) was Nested Folders, but that seems to be considered a 'premium feature' by Android App Developers (found one app that supported it, and to unlock it, I would have to pay).

It will be a cold day in hell when I will agree to pay for a file manager app or a Gallery app.
    I have no issue assigning pics to contacts and my Google photos is disabled. You should have no problem about it. By the way you can try the fx file manager. Sony uses it also out of the box. Just my 2 cents.
    08-31-16 02:22 AM
    I have no issue assigning pics to contacts and my Google photos is disabled. You should have no problem about it. By the way you can try the fx file manager. Sony uses it also out of the box. Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks mate. Will give it a try.
    08-31-16 02:34 AM
    I wonder if you use the SQUARE button (recent files) and hit the X and killed Google Photos if the next time you open it up, it might refresh its cache or thumbnails and show the new/correct folder names? Just guessing.

Also, you probably don't have to disable Google Photos, just forget it is there and use another photo viewer. You might have to reset the default OPEN - Main Settings, Apps, find it and unset it.
    08-31-16 09:21 AM
    Not only did I KILL the Google Photos, I even restarted the Priv - didn't help.
    I then looked up online and found some nonsense about going into Settings and the Apps and clearing the cache manually for media storage and what not. That didn't help either, although it did ruin all the alert settings and I had to redo them again. (In case if that did work, then that's a rather ridiculous work around).

About NOT disabling Google Photos and just forgetting that it's there - well... I simply can't seem to do that. Character flaw. Not only do I not see the need to have an extra app for the same purpose, I CAN NOT leave it there. It bothers me... A LOT! (OCD, I guess).

Of course, millions of Android users/fans will point out that this is 'clearly' MY ISSUE and not an issue with the device or the OS. Chuck it.

What I am really interested in figuring out is - What is it that I am doing wrong. That will solve the issue and give me peace of mind.

It could be that there is something wrong with the SD card itself (possibility). Will try another SD card, may be. When I get around to it.
    09-07-16 11:40 PM
    Not only did I KILL the Google Photos, I even restarted the Priv - didn't help.
    I then looked up online and found some nonsense about going into Settings and the Apps and clearing the cache manually for media storage and what not. That didn't help either, although it did ruin all the alert settings and I had to redo them again. (In case if that did work, then that's a rather ridiculous work around).

About NOT disabling Google Photos and just forgetting that it's there - well... I simply can't seem to do that. Character flaw. Not only do I not see the need to have an extra app for the same purpose, I CAN NOT leave it there. It bothers me... A LOT! (OCD, I guess).

Of course, millions of Android users/fans will point out that this is 'clearly' MY ISSUE and not an issue with the device or the OS. Chuck it.

What I am really interested in figuring out is - What is it that I am doing wrong. That will solve the issue and give me peace of mind.

It could be that there is something wrong with the SD card itself (possibility). Will try another SD card, may be. When I get around to it.
    There's probably an app for that! Sorry, I can't resist. Besides images remaining in a cache area (showing in the wrong folders after movement) maybe there's a limitation on how many subfolders can be created. My pictures are on the sd-card. They are DCIM (the folder created when I initially started saving camera pictures to the sd-card. Then they are in a subfolder called Photos and then in subfolders named after an event or vacation.

So for instance I have photos as far as

sd-card (external), dcim, photos, zion 2015, z30 and then photos taken with the Z30 in that final subfolder.

So, yes, check out your card.
    09-08-16 08:44 AM