I have had to delete both Facebook and Messenger accounts from my phone due to the annoying battery drain that they have caused recently.

I first just deleted Facebook, hoping that would stop it, installed Swipe instead, but found that Messenger just started sucking up as much battery power as both of them together did before! I just deleted Messenger today and installed Messenger Lite from a third party app store, because Google Play doesn't provide it in Canada, and it integrates with Swipe. I hope these two apps work okay together, because otherwise, I don't know what to do, short of having to reinstall those battery hogs again.

Anyone else have any experiences with Swipe and Messenger Lite that they can comment on?
    11-11-16 04:11 PM
    I haven't BlackBerry priv but, have you tried facebook lite? It's les invasive than usual facebok + messenger, among another good aspects for me
    11-14-16 06:49 PM
    I use Metal and although it will at times prompt me to download Messenger, there is no need to do so, provided you do NOT run the app in 'legacy mode' (found in the settings of the Metal app). There is a free and a Pro version, it isn't a battery drain, doesn't desire a slew of permissions and has a number of themes. It also offers access to Twitter, but the Facebook portion of the app is better developed.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 07:30 PM
    I have found that Messenger Lite uses no measurable battery power over the course of the day, even when used. However, Swipe does use some battery power, but minimal in comparison to Facebook app. Even though neither app integrate with the hub, they are decent replacements for Facebook and Messenger.
    Attached Thumbnails Facebook and Messenger annoyance-screenshot_20161112-181124.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    11-14-16 11:35 PM
    I took off FB & Messenger due to notifications all day & night despite shutting off... now I had FB Lite & Messenger Lite... great !!
    oldsoul123 likes this.
    11-15-16 12:52 AM
    I deleted both apps because they're battery hogs. FB messenger would be running even when I wasn't using it at all. I just use the browser for Facebook now. Works great for me
    11-16-16 11:46 AM
    I deleted both apps because they're battery hogs. FB messenger would be running even when I wasn't using it at all. I just use the browser for Facebook now. Works great for me
    Messenger Lite uses no measurable battery power over the day, even when used. I've yet to have it even show up on the battery monitor. It gives notifications to your device, even when not open. It has just as many features as the Web version as well. Facebook Lite is an option as well that uses very little resources, but I prefer Swipe, even though it uses more battery, because it has more features that I want. FB Lite works much like FB used to on OS 10.
    11-16-16 01:47 PM
    Messenger Lite uses no measurable battery power over the day, even when used. I've yet to have it even show up on the battery monitor. It gives notifications to your device, even when not open. It has just as many features as the Web version as well. Facebook Lite is an option as well that uses very little resources, but I prefer Swipe, even though it uses more battery, because it has more features that I want. FB Lite works much like FB used to on OS 10.
    Messenger Lite doesn't have video chat feature...
    11-16-16 01:50 PM
    OK...stupid question from the tech ***** here, LOL...isn't there a way to just set up FB so that it is just not "on" all the time, running in the background, etc.? Can't it be off and only use battery power when you go to the site and access it?

Thanks.
    11-18-16 06:59 AM
    OK...stupid question from the tech ***** here, LOL...isn't there a way to just set up FB so that it is just not "on" all the time, running in the background, etc.? Can't it be off and only use battery power when you go to the site and access it?

Thanks.
    Unfortunately, no. The Facebook app does not allow you to control it's access to your data or WiFi. The only way to do this, is to access Facebook in browser only. If you access Facebook through Chrome, it will push notifications though.
    11-18-16 12:26 PM
    However if you get FB LITE & FB MESSENGER LITE both official FB apps made for 3rd world phones with scant resources, they don't even register in the battery usage. FB LITE actually has messenger in it already... you won't get video chat or fancy emojis... you won't eat battery at all...

Now the fun part...since they were not intended for the USA or developed regions, these are NOT on Google Play (at least USA)... FB LITE is on 1mobilemarket & is about all you need... FB MESSENGER LITE has a few niceties so look around for it... make sure you get the ones actually made by Facebook & not tone of the endless listings of others with the same name...
    11-18-16 01:42 PM
    However if you get FB LITE & FB MESSENGER LITE both official FB apps made for 3rd world phones with scant resources, they don't even register in the battery usage. FB LITE actually has messenger in it already... you won't get video chat or fancy emojis... you won't eat battery at all...

Now the fun part...since they were not intended for the USA or developed regions, these are NOT on Google Play (at least USA)... FB LITE is on 1mobilemarket & is about all you need... FB MESSENGER LITE has a few niceties so look around for it... make sure you get the ones actually made by Facebook & not tone of the endless listings of others with the same name...
    I got mine from apkmirror.
    11-18-16 04:03 PM
    I've had luck with apkmirror, as well. I always make sure to scan before installing.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-16 12:26 AM

Thanks.
    Greenify should be able to do that.
    11-19-16 04:53 AM
    Unfortunately, no. The Facebook app does not allow you to control it's access to your data or WiFi. The only way to do this, is to access Facebook in browser only. If you access Facebook through Chrome, it will push notifications though.
    OK...thanks. I am not a big FB user at all, so for me that shouldn't be a problem. So you uninstall FB and get rid of it, and then when you want to go to FB you just visit the site through a browser? Right? And with Chrome, is there a downside to getting notifications pushed through? I am not sure what you mean by that.

I just don't want FB wasting my battery life away, LOL. Thanks again.
    11-19-16 12:11 PM
    There would be no downside from using push notifications through Chrome. Battery loss would be nil.

If you visit Facebook through chrome it should ask you when you login. If not you can find it under setting>site settings >notifications.
    11-19-16 01:03 PM
    There would be no downside from using push notifications through Chrome. Battery loss would be nil.

If you visit Facebook through chrome it should ask you when you login. If not you can find it under setting>site settings >notifications.
    I was involved in a previous thread about this same issue. I even recommended using the Chrome notifications, but it didn't solve my issue of messenger, as I use it a lot and you cannot check messages through that interface, it redirects you to download the app.

I installed Swipe Pro, and it does work very well. Messages are not push, they come in whatever interval you set. I have mine set on an hour, and it works well enough.

With the suggestions from someone earlier in this thread, I went and downloaded Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite from apkmirror. After a few days use I'll report back.
    11-19-16 07:31 PM
    Using Swipe and having it update every hour in the background has worked great for me and is way down the list of battery hogs.
    oldsoul123 likes this.
    11-19-16 08:47 PM

Thanks.
    You would think so. I used it that way for close to 9 months, no problems. Then an update sometime in Oct ruined it, there has been at least one more update since, but reports here say it didn't fix it.
    11-20-16 05:41 AM
    The idea that there should be safeguards in place seems to be only to protect ourselves from others, but never from Facebook itself.
    12-05-16 06:33 AM
    Don't want to speak too soon, but with the Facebook update from yesterday, it seems like that it has been fixed now.

couldn't see any enormous high battery drain caused by the Facebook app.

Hope it stays that way. Gonna be careful the next time an update pops up now
    12-08-16 08:44 AM
    Don't want to speak too soon, but with the Facebook update from yesterday, it seems like that it has been fixed now.

Yes. Seems to be ok now.
    12-08-16 09:00 AM

With any luck, it's a sign that FB has noticed an increase in users uninstalling their app (if they didn't already see all the news reports internet wide recommending user uninstall the battery hog of an app), and have made some changes. With any luck they'll keep that in mind going forward. I think the "What're ya gonna do? We're Facebook. You need us." mentality has bitten them in the shorts. Given that there are a plethora of specialized social media apps that are wildly popular, and users are finding specialized social media more appealing than an "all in one" solution.

Reminds be of a time about 15 years ago... I was a manager of a local downtown bar that was really popular. Budweiser used to have the greatest service when it came to delivery, customer support (retail vendor side that is), subsidizing promotions, etc.. Until one day the corporate structure changed, and suddenly Budweiser was one of the most difficult suppliers for bars/nightclubs to deal with. Their attitude was "What're ya gonna do? We're Budweiser. You can't survive without us." Well one day I got fed up, stopped ordering and serving Budweiser products (the owner flipped out on me but ultimately backed me up when I showed him numbers), which lasted about 3 weeks. The bar's sales didn't go down, experienced minimal groaning from patrons who preferred Budweiser products, and every other vendor (Coors, Miller, etc..) pounced on the opportunity. After a few weeks, a Corporate Exec from Budweiser stopped in to ask why I'd stopped ordering their product (and I got the impression I wasn't the only one), and I politely explained why their service had gone to crud (<------ avoiding naughty word filter). Two days later, Budweiser showed up with 60 cases of free beer, a written statement guaranteeing their level of service, and other bar establishments (you'd be surprised how they all know each other) came back to me describing how Budweiser had changed back to their earlier practices towards them as well.

With any luck, this is what FB is doing. Trying to appease their users. But I'll reserve judgement for the next 6 months or so.
    gebco, jamesharmeling and mkiiw like this.
    12-08-16 01:47 PM
    I decided to uninstall Swipe, and try Facebook app again. It does seem to be using much less battery now. Even less so far than Swipe. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
    12-08-16 10:33 PM