Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop a line warning you of the cheaply manufactured camera lens.

Somehow last Friday, my priv took a whop in the lens. I have no idea how it happened because I ensure I place only it in my left pocket with nothing else. I do also utilize the basic issue BlackBerry hard shell case as well, so it may have happened when I was removing it out of its shell (the camera hole cutout is the only place you can push the phone out) not thinking the lens would dent.

Anyway, I got a small dent in the polycarbonate, which flexes freely, but did not return to its normal shape. So now, every picture and video I take is wildly distorted, color and or focus.

TMO is sending a replacement thankfully, but I'll have to be even more careful now. A regular clear peelable applique will not work! It needs to be a hard plastic or glass.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-02-16 11:16 AM
    I have a Martin Fields lens protector on my Priv's camera lens (thin and clear) I carry my Priv in my back pocket, in my purse, in my backpack etc... I use only a full body skin, lens protector and screen protector... Sometimes the Priv is carried with nothing else, other times it is in my handbags with tons of other items... I have even sat on my Priv many times, forgetting it is slipped into a back pocket... I have not scratched and especially have not dented the camera lens nor any other part of my device... I am happy T-Mobile is replacing it for you, but that is odd... The lens IS cheap and it's ability to be easily scratched was known since its release, but the whole 'dent' thing is a new one... Interesting...

Posted via CB10
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-02-16 11:21 AM
    One of the first negative things I complained about even before I had my Priv was the scratch test I seen online. The lens cover failed miserably in the test.

Commercial phone but don't drop in a mud puddle and don't place the phone in same pocket as 🔑 keys

Posted via CrackBerry App for Android on America's 🌎 largest network.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    07-02-16 11:25 AM
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop a line warning you of the cheaply manufactured camera lens.

Somehow last Friday, my priv took a whop in the lens. I have no idea how it happened because I ensure I place only it in my left pocket with nothing else. I do also utilize the basic issue BlackBerry hard shell case as well, so it may have happened when I was removing it out of its shell (the camera hole cutout is the only place you can push the phone out) not thinking the lens would dent.

Anyway, I got a small dent in the polycarbonate, which flexes freely, but did not return to its normal shape. So now, every picture and video I take is wildly distorted, color and or focus.

TMO is sending a replacement thankfully, but I'll have to be even more careful now. A regular clear peelable applique will not work! It needs to be a hard plastic or glass.

Remove the hard shell case bottom half from the side with the volume buttons. Don't need to touch the camera section at all.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    07-02-16 06:23 PM
    Where are the lens protectors available? Do they fit exactly? I think there is a Shutterbug shop in not so far from where I live. Do you think they carry a good lens protector that would fit?

Posted with my PRIV via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-02-16 07:28 PM
    I have a Martin Fields lens protector on my Priv's camera lens (thin and clear) I carry my Priv in my back pocket, in my purse, in my backpack etc... I use only a full body skin, lens protector and screen protector... Sometimes the Priv is carried with nothing else, other times it is in my handbags with tons of other items... I have even sat on my Priv many times, forgetting it is slipped into a back pocket... I have not scratched and especially have not dented the camera lens nor any other part of my device... I am happy T-Mobile is replacing it for you, but that is odd... The lens IS cheap and it's ability to be easily scratched was known since its release, but the whole 'dent' thing is a new one... Interesting...

Posted via CB10
    I'll post a photo when I get a chance, but yes seriously odd. Kinda like if you left some cheap plastic in the sun, it's warped. Like the plastic has no reverberated memory, it bends and stays bent, meaning it does not bounce back to its original position.

I'm guessing there's about a 1cm gap between the actual lens and the lens protector.

07-02-16 08:58 PM
    Remove the hard shell case bottom half from the side with the volume buttons. Don't need to touch the camera section at all.

Hate to sound negative but I don't see any other way. First I slide the screen up, and remove the front rectangle protector.

You obviously cannot use the slide to leverage the phone out of the back case, so I close the screen.

The hard shell does not bend and it's design encapsulates the side edges, i.e. the volume and screen buttons.

So I don't see where you are coming from. My only option is to place a finger where the flash is and push up.

07-02-16 09:01 PM
    Where are the lens protectors available? Do they fit exactly? I think there is a Shutterbug shop in not so far from where I live. Do you think they carry a good lens protector that would fit?

Posted with my PRIV via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I DIY'ed mine with some old generic screen protectors and a 3/8" circle punch.
    07-02-16 09:23 PM
    I DIY'ed mine with some old generic screen protectors and a 3/8" circle punch.
    Not bad....still not rigid enough. For the masses, I'm sure less than 1% will ever experience what I did.

It needs to be either a piece of glass or rigid plastic.

Hell, I even remember my old motor razr had a stiff plastic on it cause I peeled it off one day.

07-03-16 12:38 AM

That's how I have removed the four different cases. Leverage out from the "flange" below the volume and then the top.

07-03-16 01:01 AM
    Not endorsing, because I haven't tried it, or even seen one.
    But here's a link to the Martin Fields for Priv, if anyone is interested.
    Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector (Blackberry PRIV)
    07-03-16 09:30 AM
    Hate to sound negative but I don't see any other way. First I slide the screen up, and remove the front rectangle protector.

You obviously cannot use the slide to leverage the phone out of the back case, so I close the screen.

The hard shell does not bend and it's design encapsulates the side edges, i.e. the volume and screen buttons.

So I don't see where you are coming from. My only option is to place a finger where the flash is and push up.

I do it the way I described all the time. Use your imagination.

07-03-16 10:15 AM
    I do it the way I described all the time. Use your imagination.

Lol, thanks.

07-03-16 10:56 AM
    That's how I have removed the four different cases. Leverage out from the "flange" below the volume and then the top.

I got it figured out now, lol

07-03-16 10:59 AM
    I got it figured out now, lol

Atta boy!!!

07-03-16 05:29 PM
    Just an update, after about two weeks my replacement device will be arriving today.

If you are a TMO customer with priv under warranty (first year) seems that there's no issue with them actually replacing it, just that they have to order the device, which automatically is back ordered upon ordering.

Then there is no guarantee to its arrival afterwards. I've been quoted 4 days to 1 and 1/2 weeks.

I was also told that the Priv which has seemingly been discontinued for sale is still supported. If support was to drop, I would be offered to switch (at no expense to me) to a Samsung S6, lol.

I laughed a little at this. Not because of a Samsung, but that because of what I paid for it, I should be able to pick it whatever I want.

I'd happily take money back and buy off BlackBerry site unlocked instead.

07-18-16 10:23 AM
    I keep mine in the leather pocket case. Keeps everything covered.
    07-18-16 11:33 AM
    Unfortunately I have the same problem. I bought this phone on ebay and I saw right away that the lens has a little dent when I was tilting the phone left and right. When I put the finger on it I can't feel the dent but the camera is not able to focus properly. Bummer

Visit my BBM Channel C000E96F6
    07-18-16 11:53 AM
    Just found this thread. Geez

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-18-16 12:15 PM
    Unfortunately I have the same problem. I bought this phone on ebay and I saw right away that the lens has a little dent when I was tilting the phone left and right. When I put the finger on it I can't feel the dent but the camera is not able to focus properly. Bummer

Visit my BBM Channel C000E96F6
    Dude that totally sucks. When the replacement arrives I'm gonna snap a photo of this one and load it.

Like the post above, I may more than likely seek a different case type and employ a lens cover or something.

I feel it was a rather bone head decision in the fit and finish department to use materials that have no memory retaining properties. Total junk, even older phones like Nokia bricks and Motorola star tacs used sturdy plastics.

Not using glass for a camera lens is just dumb, but I think I have said that enough.

07-18-16 01:10 PM
    At least the back cover is easily replaceable.

07-18-16 02:02 PM
    At least the back cover is easily replaceable.

Yeah, i wish there were a user replaceable glass protector. If you've seen disassembly videos, it doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal to figure out.

Anyway, stupidest design decision I've ever seen. It's not even a common thing that phone makers do. Classic BlackBerry.
    07-18-16 02:38 PM
    I'm currently waiting for my replacement phone from BlackBerry. I'm really careful with my phone but somehow I got a dent on my lens. I think it was from keys in my pocket.

Attached Thumbnails Exercise great caution with Priv camera lens.-336041.jpg  
    07-19-16 07:23 AM
    I'm currently waiting for my replacement phone from BlackBerry. I'm really careful with my phone but somehow I got a dent on my lens. I think it was from keys in my pocket.

Sheesh, that is awful.
    07-19-16 08:42 AM

That's it! That's what mine is like, but more of a heat warp

07-19-16 09:52 AM
32 12