Blackberry phones have added immense value to me, my work and my life.

Has the essence of the Blackberry, be it the os7 or 10, in terms of the keyboard features (both the hardware part and the software part), the password keeper, the email features like notifications, led notifications, etc been carried forward?do you miss any bb7 or bb10 feature that the Priv does not carry presently. They may come in with updates, but the ones that you miss the most or has blackberry done a wonderful job with the android skin of Priv?

So esteemed CB members, priv users and owners, does the Priv carry forward the Essence of the blackberry?

9900>q5>android lollipop
    Last edited by tx ram; 03-07-16 at 04:02 AM.
    02-17-16 09:14 AM
    I miss Blend, that's it.

I like how BlackBerry did minor modifications to stock Android instead of attempting to completely recreate BB10 (and probably end up with something as bad as TouchWiz).
    eldricho, bakron1, jm1219 and 7 others like this.
    02-17-16 09:24 AM
    I miss Blend, BB Travel (Worldmate is inferior to what BB did with it), Story Maker, and the form factor of the Passport. I also miss how OS10 organized all files properly. For example, all photos went to the camera directory. On the Priv, each app creates its own directory and sometimes it is difficult to find things; even with the search function.
    02-17-16 12:31 PM
    Make no mistake about it the Priv is an android phone with a physical keyboard. The hub isn't near what it is on BB10, the notification system isn't as good, many of the built in convenience and productivity features are not there. You can't even video chat in BBM. Many of the things you can probably get an app for but it's not the same.

That being said having access to all the android apps without jumping through hoops is nice and the android voice recognition is much much better than BlackBerry assistant.

My summary is, if you expect the Priv to be anything like BlackBerry OS or BB10 you will be disappointed with the Priv. But if you go into it knowing that you are buying an Android device and can live with android the Priv is a good android device and you will probably like it.

Blackberry phones have added immense value to me, my work and my life.

Has the essence of the Blackberry, be it the os7 or 10, in terms of the keyboard features (both the hardware part and the software part), the password keeper, the email features like notifications, led notifications, etc been carried forward?do you miss any bb7 or bb10 feature that the Priv does not carry presently. They may come in with updates, but the ones that you miss the most or has blackberry done a wonderful job with the android skin of Priv?

9900>q5>android lollipop

Posted via Classic or maybe the Passport
    02-17-16 12:59 PM
    I miss Blend, that's it.

I like how BlackBerry did minor modifications to stock Android instead of attempting to completely recreate BB10 (and probably end up with something as bad as TouchWiz).
    ^This, except I never used Blend. I think Blackberry did a great job and the Priv has a BB feel to me...the aspects that are important to me came over to Android. Plus, I get the bonus of apps I need and they actually work properly. As with the change from OS7 to BB10, I did have to change how I handle notifications on the Priv since sound profiles aren't the same. It's been nearly a month and I pretty much have the phone how I like it and have replaced apps with equivalent ones on Android. I find I'm faster on this Hub than I was on my Z10, once I configured the left/right swipe for my most common actions.
    02-17-16 03:36 PM
    I miss Blend, that's it.

I so miss blend. Otherwise....very happy with my Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    02-17-16 04:13 PM
    Miss Blend, miss the baked in file manager, and miss the baked in Hub. EDIT: I also miss Link, Story Maker, and Time Shift. Also, does anybody else remember how awesome BlackBerry Protect used to be with BBOS7 and prior legacy versions? I sure do. You could back up to the cloud before common folk even called the Internet "the cloud" .

BlackBerry PRIV is the best device I've ever used hardware wise and the software will catch up as time passes.

BlackBerry built the best android device money can buy, regardless of "better spec'd" devices. It's the entire experience that makes it the best.

BlackBerry simply creates the greatest hardware available. I do not care that some people are picky about little creaks or whatever. This device cannot be beat.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by buckwylder; 03-22-16 at 12:11 AM.
    02-17-16 04:41 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Priv and I know BB is going the way of android. I just wish they would of transferred the following items to the Priv

• No File Manager baked in
    • No media player baked in
    • Blackberry Calculator with conversion baked in
    • No unique notifications (BlackBerry is the best)
    • Box not connected like on BlackBerry
    • Blackberry Hub is WAY better
    • Blackberry Clock is better than stock android
    • No Bedside mode. (can replicate kind of with a lot of steps)
    • No reader mode in browser with out a lot of options/downloads and I still can't get it to work
    • No documents to go

These are just a few I have encountered, I don't game on my phone, I use it for messaging (work and personal) I file a lot of messages for work, much better on the BB10 than Priv. I can't have access to all my filed messages, there is a time limit and I have to select the folders to sync. BB10 did it all. I miss video chat on BBM as most of my family has BB10 I am the only one with an android.
    Like I have heard, not enough apps on BB10, I had all apps that other people had working on it with the exception of 'Snapchat' but I didn't use it. I was trying for my 14 yr old son on his Z30. With the Priv.
    xxslxx likes this.
    02-21-16 08:53 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Priv and I know BB is going the way of android. I just wish they would of transferred the following items to the Priv

• No File Manager baked in
    • No media player baked in
    • Blackberry Calculator with conversion baked in
    • Box not connected like on BlackBerry
    • Blackberry Clock is better than stock android
    • No documents to go
    The draw of Android is that you have quite a bit of choice when it comes to having those things on your phone, so these bullet points are merely "I can't be arsed to check the Play Store".

I mean, you could use Google Docs, Microsoft Office, or even Docs to Go on the Priv, the choice is up to you. As opposed to having the half-assed Docs to Go on BB10 and that's it.

And while there's the Google Play Music/Photos apps for media, you're free to put them away and use other, not-awful apps for media (Piktures, F-Stop, Rocket Player, BlackPlayer, VLC, MX Player, the list goes on).

File managers are also in abundance, with the top few being ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer. With the features they have, they blow the BB10 file manager out of the water (cloud integration besides just Box and Dropbox, FTP support, SMB support, select all).

Regardless, I find a good app that has to be manually installed better than a mediocre app that is pre-loaded.
    jas1978, raremage, jm1219 and 1 others like this.
    02-21-16 09:53 AM
    I have looked on Google play store. There are 1000's of choices. I am saying that I haven't found any that work as good as the ones that came stock on BB10. I have 3 file managers now to be able to do all I did on BB10. I have 2 different media players. 2 picture viewers. On BB10 I had the stock one. I was able to file and keep all pictures in one location and filed into certain folders for everything. Android is all over the place for file organization.
    Simple things that came with BB10 just are not here without A LOT of customization.

02-21-16 12:38 PM
    I'm completely happy with blackberry approach to android, i was worried they would go the Samsung route with touch wiz, thankfully they went for near stock android.
    02-21-16 12:48 PM
    The Priv\Android experience has been a breeze. Rather than having all that you need baked into the OS (BlackBerry), the Priv offers unlimited possibilities. Finding then downloading apps to do basic functions may seem like an unwanted hassle but it's really just a different way of doing things. If you're open-minded you'll find Priv to be just as handy as any other BlackBerry that you've had.

At the risk of sounding sacrilegious I'll just come out and say it: the Priv is my favorite BlackBerry to date. I've owned the Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport, and too many older devices to list. The Priv blows them all away including the Passport.

Just my two cents.

Posted one-handed via Priv
    raremage, jm1219 and damule6666 like this.
    02-22-16 12:28 AM
    I really don't understand using docstogo when the real mccoy (ms word) is available through the play store.

02-22-16 02:26 AM
    Miss Blend, miss the baked in file manager, and miss the baked in Hub.

BlackBerry PRIV is the best device I've ever used hardware wise and the software will catch up as time passes.

BlackBerry built the best android device money can buy, regardless of "better spec'd" devices. It's the entire experience that makes it the best.

BlackBerry simply creates the greatest hardware available. I do not care that some people are picky about little creaks or whatever. This device cannot be beat.

Sure right about the software catching up. You sir, look to be an early bb10 user, you know it all too well. Wishing bb android the best of both worlds.

9900 to q5 to Android
    02-28-16 10:32 AM

That being said having access to all the android apps without jumping through hoops is nice and the android voice recognition is much much better than BlackBerry assistant.

Boy, ain't that the truth...

02-28-16 10:38 AM
    Make no mistake about it the Priv is an android phone with a physical keyboard. The hub isn't near what it is on BB10, the notification system isn't as good, many of the built in convenience and productivity features are not there. You can't even video chat in BBM. Many of the things you can probably get an app for but it's not the same.

My summary is, if you expect the Priv to be anything like BlackBerry OS or BB10 you will be disappointed with the Priv. But if you go into it knowing that you are buying an Android device and can live with android the Priv is a good android device and you will probably like it.

What are you TALKING about? The Priv is an awesome phone. I hate it when Crackberry members talk down on it. Because MOST of you haven't even used it....you're just recycling what others have written. The Hub isn't good?? I own a BlackBerry Passport and trust me, the Hub is ALL there.
    Led notification? It's all there.
    Blackberry Blend? Download it from the Play Store you freakin dinosaurs. You're living under a rock.

tx ram and raremage like this.
    02-28-16 10:57 AM
    Lol

9900 to q5 to Android
    02-28-16 11:00 AM
    What are you TALKING about? The Priv is an awesome phone. I hate it when Crackberry members talk down on it. Because MOST of you haven't even used it....you're just recycling what others have written. The Hub isn't good?? I own a BlackBerry Passport and trust me, the Hub is ALL there.
    Blackberry Blend? Download it from the Play Store you freakin dinosaurs. You're living under a rock.

I love my Priv. Been a BlackBerry user since early 2000s. You are right. The Priv is terrific. But you are painfully wrong about Blend. It doesn't work with the Priv. They only thing about BB10 I miss.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    02-28-16 11:51 AM
    I miss the legendary BB10 Hub on the Priv.

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    02-28-16 01:57 PM

Are you sure YOU own a Priv? Blend certainly does not work with the Priv and saying that the Hub is the same as it is in BB10 is an out an out fabrication. Its not the same. Accessing something like a text message doesn't stay contained in the hub, it opens up the messaging app. I guess I'll go back under my rock now.
    L o r d R a j, jm1219 and NtotheK like this.
    02-28-16 05:55 PM
    Are you sure YOU own a Priv? Blend certainly does not work with the Priv and saying that the Hub is the same as it is in BB10 is an out an out fabrication. Its not the same. Accessing something like a text message doesn't stay contained in the hub, it opens up the messaging app. I guess I'll go back under my rock now.
    You can use Textra or Yaata so a text opens in an overlay above the hub, but yeah I don't know what the heck that guy is talking about.
    02-28-16 06:43 PM
    Everybody knows the differences between BlackBerry 10 and Android. There's no need to get all defensive about it anymore. If you prefer BlackBerry 10 or if you prefer the PRIV, it doesn't really matter at all. As long as you're "needs" are being met, use whatever you want.

BlackBerry 10 is great, I'm a happy owner of several BlackBerry 10 devices and I love all of them. I also really do love the PRIV. I know what it has and doesn't have, I also know what BlackBerry 10 has and doesn't have, I'm using a BlackBerry regardless of what it's running. Technically, nobody "needs" any of this. We could all be using legacy BlackBerry devices and still have most "needs" met. Yay!

jm1219, seletok and tado261 like this.
    02-28-16 07:54 PM
    Would it be sweet if there was a BlackBerry 10 slider? Of course, but there isn't, so... get a PRIV and keep your other BlackBerry 10 devices and enjoy them all!

02-28-16 07:56 PM
    Ever since I've used BlackBerry products through the different eras, BlackBerry has always been my life's "Hub" and I really hope to have the opportunity to use BlackBerry devices for years to come.

tx ram likes this.
    02-28-16 07:59 PM
    I think, whatsapp has signed the death blow to bb10. Sad but that will be a major factor in people getting away from bb10 devices.
    Soon, I'm going to get my passport for my little museum, for a throw away price.

9900 to q5 to Android
    Last edited by tx ram; 03-03-16 at 01:47 PM.
    02-29-16 08:43 AM
36 12