After the announcement today here on CB that BlackBerry will cease involvement in design and hardware of phones, it's apparent that we Priv owners are holding the last BlackBerry designed phone, so enjoy it. Also it might be the last pkb phone as well, but there's no way to know that for sure.

Since my first 5810, I have been happy and served well by my BB phones up to my Classic and Z30, appreciating the unique designs, productivity designed OS/UI and quality builds of their devices. I have no regrets staying with BB to this point as I still have not experienced another phone brand design or OS I prefer over them. My Priv experience, while very good to this point, is still developing and I hold judgment until I have more time on it to determine if it deserves the appreciation I have for full BB devices.

We are experiencing the end of an era, an era that many here weren't fortunate to participate in, when BlackBerry was considered the pinnacle of smartphones, especially in iconic design, productivity, Enterprise, government ,communication and functionality. A true electronic tool to get things done.

I have no idea as to what will become of BB's phone division, as Chen infers a future partnership with other high end phone manufacturers using BB software, but I will give what arises from that endeavor a fair chance before venturing to another brand.

It has never been about brand loyalty with me, I personally don't have the time, money or patience to deal with a device that doesn't best serve my needs, BlackBerry phones have done that, so I've stayed with them. When they cease to do so, I'll move on.

It will be interesting to see where BB goes from here, but for now I'm enjoying my Priv and Z30, as well as my still serviceable PlayBook.

Forgive the long post, just sharing my musings and thoughts.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    09-28-16 10:57 AM
    How many of you will go out and buy another PRIV to keep bnib as a backup? I'm on the fence on this.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    rotorwrench likes this.
    09-28-16 11:00 AM
    Naah, the mercury will be the last. Buy two of those.
    09-28-16 11:06 AM
    How many of you will go out and buy another PRIV to keep bnib as a backup? I'm on the fence on this.

I did that with my Z30, bought a backup, and glad I did, it's now my work phone, replacing my damaged Classic. The Priv is still new to me, so not sure about buying another. In another month or so I'll revisit the possibility.

09-28-16 11:13 AM
    Naah, the mercury will be the last. Buy two of those.
    No it isn't. The codename change from Rome to Mercury was a clear indicator.

American City Names = BB10, BlackBerry Designed
    Euro City Names = Android, BlackBerry Designed
    Chemical Elements = Android, Outsourced
    09-28-16 11:17 AM
    No it isn't. The codename change from Rome to Mercury was a clear indicator.

American City Names = BB10, BlackBerry Designed
    Euro City Names = Android, BlackBerry Designed
    Chemical Elements = Android, Outsourced
    For recent enough devices. The London/Lisbon/Liverpool would beg to differ.
    09-28-16 11:30 AM
    For recent enough devices. The London/Lisbon/Liverpool would beg to differ.
    Those were in 2013, well before Project Avenger.
    09-28-16 11:36 AM
    It saddens me, but I saw the possibility of it coming, hence my Priv purchase. Very reluctant to go Android, but with no BlackBerry, it'd be that or iOS anyway.

I hope BlackBerry will continue to develop and improve their suite of software. It's no BlackBerry device, of course, but will somewhat soothe my wounds.

Thought about trying to acquire an extra device for cheap, but the truth of it is, I have 3 fully functional devices that I have babied (4, if you count the 9700 my husband still uses). Knowing me, it would sit in the box until at least one bit the dust. Most likely, by the time that happened, it wouldn't be able to keep up with the changes to technology (that happen so quickly).

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 11:43 AM
    Those were in 2013, well before Project Avenger.
    On top of that, I don't remember finding Dallas in the OS, just on some guy's blog. It's Windermere4, I think.
    09-28-16 11:58 AM
    I guess in the future I REALLY willl be forced to use a touch screen.
    Which means

No more document editing
    No more long emails
    no more long text/bmm
    no more forum posts beyond a sentance
    no more writing stories
    no more roleplaying.

I guess it means my PC will see a ton more action that it already does.

Oh and did I mention when you are upset or trying to prove your point about something quickly, that doing so on a keyboard is wayyyyyy easier and less frustrating than trying to tap out letter and having autocorrect mess it all up on a touchscreen. Being really impatient and using autocorrect sucks.
    rotorwrench, NightFire and Sigewif like this.
    09-28-16 12:16 PM

I don't like Priv's performance to be honest, I was disapointed to see more sutters and app crashes than my prevous passport running a slower processor. I would consider it if somehow they made a Priv powered by exynos processors.

It also depends on what other manufacturers bring to the table. If we see cool new features in future phones, that might make you want those instead of a priv.
    09-28-16 12:21 PM
    what will happen to the updates...

#whatisclassic
    09-28-16 12:48 PM
    I guess in the future I REALLY willl be forced to use a touch screen.
    I wouldn't be so sure...
    BlackBerry CEO says QWERTY keyboard will live on, even after outsourcing move - Video - BNN
    09-28-16 12:51 PM
    True, and in a new quote this morning he made mention of a new BB designed phone in the works. I honestly don't know what to believe anymore.

09-28-16 12:57 PM
    It's unfortunate, though not exactly surprising. From what I read, Blackberry phones aren't going to not exist per se, but Blackberry will no longer have control over the manufacturing or design of them (which, depending on how you look at it, could be a good thing).

The truth is that BB is never coming back as a serious competitor in the market. Those days are over.
    09-28-16 12:58 PM
    True, and in a new quote this morning he made mention of a new BB designed phone in the works. I honestly don't know what to believe anymore.

Could you share the link?
    09-28-16 01:15 PM

That's Mercury.
    09-28-16 01:39 PM
    Could you share the link?
    It's in the second CB News story about Chen from this morning.

09-28-16 04:02 PM
    I don't like Priv's performance to be honest, I was disapointed to see more sutters and app crashes than my prevous passport running a slower processor. I would consider it if somehow they made a Priv powered by exynos processors.

It also depends on what other manufacturers bring to the table. If we see cool new features in future phones, that might make you want those instead of a priv.
    That's too bad you are having those issues. As of now I haven't had any studders or app crashes, although I've only had mine for a little over a month. I'm happy with the performance so far. I'm not saying It's better than my Z30 but access to a few key apps, excellent camera and the pkb with gestures and shortcuts help make up for a lot of the missing BB10 features. Definitely a workable phone for me so far.

09-28-16 04:09 PM
    I've read all the BlackBerry news today.. I don't really understand.. they are not makeing phones anymore but why did they leak the dtek60 and why did they say, we are not done with pkb..

can someone tell me what's really going on...

thank you,

sent from my PlayBook
    09-28-16 04:23 PM
    Chen says they are pulling out of the design and hardware market but will be partnering with other parties to put their software on deviceps primarily designed and built by others. Apparently the DTEK60 is already being processed so I'm confident it will be released, dates being spread around as early as mid October. As to other phones with BB involvement, it's a wait and see thing. Chen even said the pkb isn't gone either. I'll pull a doubting Thomas on that one.

09-28-16 06:29 PM
    Just to comfort the PKB user.

Posted from my  Passport
    09-29-16 12:28 PM
    Just to comfort the PKB user.

Posted from my  Passport
    Again with the negativity. This forum needs some funny pictures of cats around or something to lighten you people up a little bit.
    09-29-16 12:34 PM
    My wife's last three iphones 4s,5s, and 6s freeze up a lot and pics and vids don't upload most of the time but for some reason she still thinks iphones are great

Straight from my sweet Priv's physical keyboard
    FF22, Mirko935 and Bay 13 like this.
    09-29-16 12:40 PM
    One way to eliminate lag is to turn off animations. These may look cool but they do slow down performance. My Priv does not lag for this very reason.
    anon(8719892) and andy957 like this.
    09-29-16 02:12 PM
35 12