In the hub settings for my Gmail account, do you guys recommend having the "sync email" option on? This is the only way I'm getting instant email... "Use push if supported" is always on, and "sync interval" is set to never.

If I don't have "sync email" on the emails might not even come through until I refresh the hub manually. All apps are updated BTW.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-17-15 10:53 PM
    In the hub settings for my Gmail account, do you guys recommend having the "sync email" option on? This is the only way I'm getting instant email... "Use push if supported" is always on, and "sync interval" is set to never.

If I don't have "sync email" on the emails might not even come through until I refresh the hub manually. All apps are updated BTW.

Absolutely...if you turn that off it turns the automatic syncing of email OFF as you've seen. If you want to only get new messages by manually refreshing you can do this (certainly helpful in roaming cases), but I wouldn't personally suggest it for just "regular" usage unless you've got a reason for it
    11-18-15 10:38 AM
    Absolutely...if you turn that off it turns the automatic syncing of email OFF as you've seen. If you want to only get new messages by manually refreshing you can do this (certainly helpful in roaming cases), but I wouldn't personally suggest it for just "regular" usage unless you've got a reason for it
    Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Some previous discussions in the forums lead me to believe that enabling only the "Use push if supported" option was sufficient for instant email.

Obviously this isn't the case, again thanks.

11-18-15 10:44 AM
    I have tried all these strategies. My Priv sits at home on my home desk on wifi transferring huge amounts of data with NO new email coming into Hub. A very expensive paperweight. What a shame.
    Hey Excimer - Trying to keep following the bouncing ball here, so please be patient with me if I've missed subsequent posts you may have made here (busy day at work here, but trying to keep up with some of the forums traffic and you guys as well). We've identified the root cause of some problems, and the Content Transfer app is causing us a large amount of issues currently - particularly with transferring of text messages. When you did the content transfer, I'm assuming you included transferring your texts...do you know how many messages that would have been? We're working on some improvements here that I'm hoping to get rolled out very soon to correct this.

What I would suggest...
    1) Sorry, but probably best to factory wipe your device if things still haven't settled down from the first time Sorry...it sucks having to tell people to do this...
    2) Go through the setup screens again, but don't use content transfer for now
    3) Go into Google Play and download the latest apps (manual search for BlackBerry Ltd as you've already done)
    4) Setup your email accounts manually from within Hub
    5) For your Gmail account would it be possible to set a smaller sync timeframe for now? We have an optimization coming for large sync timeframes/folders.
    6) If you elect to sync forever (totally up to you) you'll need to be a little bit more patient...don't start trying to sync other accounts in the Hub or folders during this time. Just let it get fully up to sync before you start changing anything else. During the course of time while it's syncing it MAY appear like nothing is syncing, but is in the background - you should see a notification in the tray indicating this. Always good to plug it in to a charger, and if you do this overnight it helps since nothing else should be running on your device.

I think that's the entirety of my suggestion for current....again, some fixes and optimizations are coming soon. Apologies for the hassle at current.
    11-18-15 10:49 AM
    Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Some previous discussions in the forums lead me to believe that enabling only the "Use push if supported" option was sufficient for instant email.

Obviously this isn't the case, again thanks.

Just take a quick screen cap and post here of the toggle in question and I can triple confirm
    11-18-15 10:49 AM
    I'm having trouble attaching a scteenshot for some reason so I'll list them.

This is from Hub>Settings>my Gmail account>data usage section

Sync interval - never
    Use push if supported - on
    Sync time frame - 7 days
    Sync email (option in question) - on

Some people were claiming that they don't need the sync email option on to receive email normally - though I've found through testing (and from what your saying) that I do.

11-18-15 11:48 AM
    I'm having trouble attaching a scteenshot for some reason so I'll list them.

This is from Hub>Settings>my Gmail account>data usage section

Sync interval - never
    Use push if supported - on
    Sync time frame - 7 days
    Sync email (option in question) - on

Some people were claiming that they don't need the sync email option on to receive email normally - though I've found through testing (and from what your saying) that I do.

You need the sync interval to be set to something other than never. Push if available depends on providers. You can assume Gmail supports push, so emails received would be pushed to the device.

In general, Gmail accounts let's you sync emails, contacts, and calendar. So "sync email" being on means you want to get emails for that particular account.

The only thing that I really need to tinker was sync time frame. I'm crazy and told it to get all of it. It will download all of it so don't do it on cellular network unless you have some kind of unlimited plan. It will get warm because it's very busy sucking emails down from the server and writing it to your phone.

IMAP downloads emails oldest first, so you might want to stick with the default 7 days, download those first and then open hub -> settings and change it to a longer period.

11-18-15 11:57 AM
    Just take a quick screen cap and post here of the toggle in question and I can triple confirm
    Here are my current settings, some others were saying that they didn't need the sync email option on to get emails instantly.
    Attached Thumbnails Email sync issues with gmail in hub-1447878759987.jpg  
    11-18-15 02:34 PM
    Hey Excimer - Trying to keep following the bouncing ball here, so please be patient with me if I've missed subsequent posts you may have made here (busy day at work here, but trying to keep up with some of the forums traffic and you guys as well). We've identified the root cause of some problems, and the Content Transfer app is causing us a large amount of issues currently - particularly with transferring of text messages. When you did the content transfer, I'm assuming you included transferring your texts...do you know how many messages that would have been? We're working on some improvements here that I'm hoping to get rolled out very soon to correct this.

What I would suggest...
    1) Sorry, but probably best to factory wipe your device if things still haven't settled down from the first time Sorry...it sucks having to tell people to do this...
    2) Go through the setup screens again, but don't use content transfer for now
    3) Go into Google Play and download the latest apps (manual search for BlackBerry Ltd as you've already done)
    4) Setup your email accounts manually from within Hub
    5) For your Gmail account would it be possible to set a smaller sync timeframe for now? We have an optimization coming for large sync timeframes/folders.
    6) If you elect to sync forever (totally up to you) you'll need to be a little bit more patient...don't start trying to sync other accounts in the Hub or folders during this time. Just let it get fully up to sync before you start changing anything else. During the course of time while it's syncing it MAY appear like nothing is syncing, but is in the background - you should see a notification in the tray indicating this. Always good to plug it in to a charger, and if you do this overnight it helps since nothing else should be running on your device.

I think that's the entirety of my suggestion for current....again, some fixes and optimizations are coming soon. Apologies for the hassle at current.
    Please do not apologize. Thank you for being here and trying to help. I did not use the content transfer app and I have reset the phone (wiped) it three times. I have manually added the Gmail account and have not touched the phone in 36 hours. I set the days to sync to 14. Everything else is as described. This took until this evening (~40 hours to settle) but seems to have worked. I think the email volume is just too much and it is taking all its processor power to drag in my emails and index everything. Any idea when the large folder fix is coming? I really do need to have all emails on the phone.

Again, please do not apologize. I am not taking the Priv back. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to help, your being here and I am very enthusiastic about this phone once we get the bugs out.
    11-18-15 04:10 PM
    Here are my current settings, some others were saying that they didn't need the sync email option on to get emails instantly.
    Yeah, so for Gmail that's probably fine...but if your email provider doesn't support push it's going to mean you get no email pulled down unless you manually sync.

...folks need to be careful with this one.
    11-18-15 04:14 PM
    Thank you everyone for all of the tips and suggestions. I think I finally have things working. I thought all of my apps were up to date until I restarted my Priv and 35 apps all started automatically updating, including Blackberry Hub and Blackberry Services. I let everything update completely (the phone was so hot I could barely touch it, but honestly I would expect as much given how much processing it was doing!), then I removed my email accounts and then added them back with the suggested shorter sync timeframe and for now everything seems to be working perfectly.

Love this phone... almost as much as my Passport
    11-18-15 04:19 PM
    Please do not apologize. Thank you for being here and trying to help. I did not use the content transfer app and I have reset the phone (wiped) it three times. I have manually added the Gmail account and have not touched the phone in 36 hours. I set the days to sync to 14. Everything else is as described. This took until this evening (~40 hours to settle) but seems to have worked. I think the email volume is just too much and it is taking all its processor power to drag in my emails and index everything. Any idea when the large folder fix is coming? I really do need to have all emails on the phone.

Again, please do not apologize. I am not taking the Priv back. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to help, your being here and I am very enthusiastic about this phone once we get the bugs out.
    I'm curious how busy your gmail account really is now.
    11-18-15 05:53 PM
    The app automatic update issue is most likely a Google thing...
    11-18-15 05:54 PM
    Can you do me a favor and tell me how many folders you were trying to sync, and roughly how many messages would have been in those folder? I'm also assuming you started using content transfer to setup your email accounts from within the device "welcome" screens...am I correct?

I think most of the issues folks are reporting here around email sync/text message sync are all the same underlying issue, and I'm thinking we might have the root cause already identified and some fixes/improvements coming soon. Just want to try and back check with as many people as possible.
    There are about 3400 messages in the gmail inbox and 6 tags or folders. I did use the content transfer, not at the welcome screen, but later on. I don't recall if I updated all blackberry apps before or after I ran the transfer tool. I was also syncing outlook.com calendar and contacts while syncing email. After I cleared all data in the hub and in the blackberry services app settings, I recreated the gmail account and redid the sync. This time I waited for gmail to fully sync and show up in the inbox before adding the outlook account. Hopefully this helps and sorry for the late reply. It's been over a week now and my wife is happy with no complaints of something not working.

OT: she liked her z10, but is happy to have access to all the apps and widgets. I have a corporate q10 with balance, and for communication (one handed use on the go) and seamless secure partitioning of work and personal, nothing else on the market compares to bb10 right now. Hopefully in a year or two, Blackberry will have their version of Android ready for prime time corporate use. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 12:12 AM
    I'm having the same problems and can't erase my gmail account.
    This is really ridiculous . Do I have to be a programmer to get this device working properly?
    No wonder people opt for IOS
    11-23-15 09:52 PM
    Thank you! It worked for me. Deleted all email accounts on hub, then settings, apps , blackberry services. cleared data ,cache . Added email accounts again. What a relief! Gracias!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-10-17 05:02 PM
41 12