Imagine how awesome a BB10 phone would be with Google Play.

Is there any possible scenario where that could occur? "Hey Google, we are going to make phones that run your OS, sooo, can you make available to us a customozed version of Google Play that will work on our OS?"

I'm just dreaming but man, that would be the scenario that would rule the world.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 08:08 PM
    Keep on dreamin sunshine..

Passport to heaven..
    ProjectBrett and Spinal like this.
    12-18-15 08:10 PM

Is there any possible scenario where that could occur? "Hey Google, we are going to make phones that run your OS, sooo, can you make available to us a customozed version of Google Play that will work on our OS?"

I'm just dreaming but man, that would be the scenario that would rule the world.

Posted via CB10
    Keep on dreamin sunshine..

Passport to heaven..
    Already a reality.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/
    12-18-15 08:31 PM
    Where do all this priv/bb10 threads come from?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 08:31 PM
    Not the same thing. Most of the apps dont even work.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-18-15 08:34 PM
    Not the same thing. Most of the apps dont even work.

It proves it's possible. Considering he had to reverse engineer it in his spare time its pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-18-15 at 09:03 PM.
    12-18-15 08:44 PM
    It proves it's possible. Considering he had to reverse engineer it in his spare time its pretty impressive.
    Very impressive indeed

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    From hardcore bb10 users lol we love bb10 and don't wanna give it up

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:01 PM
    Yes that would be a dream,a complete nightmare, for those of us who have Blackberries because we don't want Google. If you want Android, get Android.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:17 PM
    Yes that would be a dream,a complete nightmare, for those of us who have Blackberries because we don't want Google. If you want Android, get Android.

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry had mainstream apps no one would ever have a need for Google. I admit I like a lot of Android apps but the efficiency of bb10 is unmatched and I love the gesture based os. I don't think that's there is anything android like that atm. Or is there?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:44 PM
    ...and the fact that one guy did it really throws wet cement on the idea that "developing BB10 drivers for the Priv hardware is cost prohibitive"... yet people are still willing to give BlackBerry mgmt a pass on that 'claim' which is just bunk.

Better still would be stubs that trick so-called "Android" apps that require Google Mobile Services into thinking that substitutes ARE GMS: that is, if so-called "Android" apps that rely on GMS would work with substitute services, then we'd have the best of both worlds: the full breadth of apps on the Android platform without reliance on Google spyware.

Personally: I hope that some kind of FTC ruling comes down that forces Google to standardise their APIs so that other service components of the device owners' choosing can be substituted: let Microsoft put out the "bing maps" module that is API compatible with Google Maps, and the device owner can choose to integrate the Google Play Services "maps module", or the Microsoft Bing "maps module". The OS can be built component by component, with the user having control over which services to use. Personally, I don't mind Google services in and of themselves: but I cringe at the idea that ALL of these services are running and ALL of them are gathering data for a single company. I feel a lot more comfortable spreading it out across multiple vendors: each of them has a small piece of the puzzle, but no one company has the "whole picture".

If for every aspect of Google Mobile Services it was up to the USER which 'service' to use, i bet you'd see a lot of open source and privacy compliant options come to the fore, and if you wanted to give your life over to Google, go right ahead, but if you're willing to settle for possibly less capable but privacy-focused alternatives, you could choose another option.

Just like Microsoft had to decouple IE from Windows in the manner of making it possible to have other Web browsers be the OS Default, so should Google Mobile Services be decoupled from Android, allowing users to choose their own favorite components, with privacy considerations possible, and Google having some actual competition which would continue to spur innovation.

I'll be having a celebration with friends the day that comes to pass.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 12-18-15 at 11:09 PM.
    HereticHermit likes this.
    12-18-15 10:55 PM
    ...and the fact that one guy did it really throws wet cement on the idea that "developing BB10 drivers for the Priv hardware is cost prohibitive"... yet people are still willing to give BlackBerry mgmt a pass on that 'claim' which is just bunk.

Better still would be stubs that trick so-called "Android" apps that require Google Mobile Services into thinking that substitutes ARE GMS: that is, if so-called "Android" apps that rely on GMS would work with substitute services, then we'd have the best of both worlds: the full breadth of apps on the Android platform without reliance on Google spyware.

Personally: I hope that some kind of FTC ruling comes down that forces Google to standardise their APIs so that other service components of the device owners' choosing can be substituted: let Microsoft put out the "bing maps" module that is API compatible with Google Maps, and the device owner can choose to integrate the Google Play Services "maps module", or the Microsoft Bing "maps module". The OS can be built component by component, with the user having control over which services to use. Personally, I don't mind Google services in and of themselves: but I cringe at the idea that ALL of these services are running and ALL of them are gathering data for a single company. I feel a lot more comfortable spreading it out across multiple vendors: each of them has a small piece of the puzzle, but no one company has the "whole picture".

If for every aspect of Google Mobile Services it was up to the USER which 'service' to use, i bet you'd see a lot of open source and privacy compliant options come to the fore, and if you wanted to give your life over to Google, go right ahead, but if you're willing to settle for possibly less capable but privacy-focused alternatives, you could choose another option.

Just like Microsoft had to decouple IE from Windows in the manner of making it possible to have other Web browsers be the OS Default, so should Google Mobile Services be decoupled from Android, allowing users to choose their own favorite components, with privacy considerations possible, and Google having some actual competition which would continue to spur innovation.

I'll be having a celebration with friends the day that comes to pass.
    Gplay has nothing to do with drivers not sure what you are onto
    12-18-15 11:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    In case you honestly want to know; up until very recently RIM/BlackBerry did mobile in their own way with their own OS. There has been talk, if not outright want, of an Android powered BlackBerry around these parts for years by some regulars but typically most posts regarding Android were either from BlackBerry users bashing it or from Android trolls.

You should really be asking why there are not more such threads...

Posted via CB10
    th.1977 likes this.
    12-18-15 11:54 PM
    If BlackBerry had mainstream apps no one would ever have a need for Google. I admit I like a lot of Android apps but the efficiency of bb10 is unmatched and I love the gesture based os. I don't think that's there is anything android like that atm. Or is there?

Posted via CB10
    All BB10 needs to fill in the gap are the top social media, entertainment, banking, shopping, and perhaps a game or two and most users would be set--perhaps 60 in total.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 12:00 AM
    All BB10 needs to fill in the gap are the top social media, entertainment, banking, shopping, and perhaps a game or two and most users would be set--perhaps 60 in total.

Posted via CB10
    I agree 100%

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 12:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just give me the top social media, banking, and a little shopping and I'm good. As for gaming and entertainment, I have other devices for that. Kinda hard to get the full effect of it on a 5 inch screen. Unless you're commuting hrs everyday by mass transit, I can see the need for it, but I would be asking for is better battery life on these devices. If I'm going to have a device that does "everything" I'm going to need to at least enough juice to get through the day.

Posted via CB10
    bigmo63 likes this.
    12-19-15 12:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    There is no shortage of swipe gesture apps...just did a quick search.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...turenavigation

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...esture.overlay

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gestures&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wipenavigation

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...15937622C478BB

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...econtrol&hl=en

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-19-15 at 09:40 AM.
    12-19-15 01:24 AM
    It's good to dream

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 07:21 AM
    I hope that some kind of FTC ruling comes down that forces Google to standardise their APIs so that other service components of the device owners' choosing can be substituted: let Microsoft put out the "bing maps" module that is API compatible with Google Maps, and the device owner can choose to integrate the Google Play Services "maps module", or the Microsoft Bing "maps module". The OS can be built component by component, with the user having control over which services to use. Personally, I don't mind Google services in and of themselves: but I cringe at the idea that ALL of these services are running and ALL of them are gathering data for a single company. I feel a lot more comfortable spreading it out across multiple vendors: each of them has a small piece of the puzzle, but no one company has the "whole picture"
    A very valid point there and I have said almost the same thing in another thread and in no time many were wailing about How Google had earned it fair and square hence they should not be victim of their success or google being brought to accountability is murder of successful corporation by banana republic henchman.
    When people are going to be considerate for greater good or simply act numb in name of right to do business by whatever means is beyond me. Clearly I and very few others are on a different plank but a minority nevertheless; I have since then stopped commenting on such posts that are incapable of thinking beyond apps and/or how they are made available to them irrespective of social costs.
    12-20-15 02:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    OMG!! STOP ALREADY!!! Guys, A reality check is needed here. Get a phone that has a future. BB is not the future it's the past. Even the new devices are substandard.
    12-20-15 02:38 PM
    There's already a really good BB phone that works with google play, it's called the Priv!
    12-20-15 02:44 PM
    OMG!! STOP ALREADY!!! Guys, A reality check is needed here. Get a phone that has a future. BB is not the future it's the past. Even the new devices are substandard.
    A substandard Passport chops a Priv in speed and flow. Sometimes it's even faster in executing Android apps...
    12-20-15 04:58 PM
    There's already a really good BB phone that works with google play, it's called the Priv!
    There's not a whole lot of BlackBerry in the priv imo.

Posted via CB10
    xtremeled likes this.
    12-20-15 05:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe not what you are used to with BB10 but I can tell you this for certain, Android will be the future of BB. As time passes with each update they will slowly incorporate more BB10 apps, features, etc. It will take some time but it will evolve.
    12-20-15 05:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think the hardware could be described as BlackBerry since it's not an exact clone of anything else.

The software is mostly vanilla Android design (smart move). The operating system kernel seems to be something custom and there are some BlackBerry designed apps.

Close enough to BlackBerry for me.

gmoneyroxit likes this.
    12-20-15 06:02 PM
27 12