Most of us come from BlackBerry10 which had great battery management. Unfortunately, Android doesn't. So here's how to get more out of your Priv - or any other Android device.

Go in Settings > Apps

Enter each App individually. Force stop all your non essentials Apps.

Click on Data Usage and restrict background data.

*You might want to avoid doing this to apps you check heavily (i.e.: I skipped IG).

Lastly, for non-essential apps, clear some space by going into Storage, then clearing cache.

Repeat for every app on your phone, and your standby time will double!
    Attached Thumbnails Double your stanby battery life!-233465.jpg  
    01-02-17 12:53 PM
    And if you use a weather widget, don't restrict background on whatever weather app it is connected to.
    01-02-17 01:05 PM
    I always force stop my apps, but recently I noticed that Crackberry has been restarting on its own. Odd.

Any how, good advice!
    01-02-17 01:11 PM
    I always force stop my apps, but recently I noticed that Crackberry has been restarting on its own. Odd.

Any how, good advice!
    I had to remove the CrackBerry App because it was showing me some high Keep Awake number even after being forced stopped.

As for the battery life of my PRIV generally, I don't force stop unused apps and it's giving me way better battery life than my Classic.
    01-02-17 02:15 PM
    I had to remove the CrackBerry App because it was showing me some high Keep Awake number even after being forced stopped.

As for the battery life of my PRIV generally, I don't force stop unused apps and it's giving me way better battery life than my Classic.
    Try to reinstall it. I was having a ridiculous Keep Awake bar. I factory reset it and now it's only awake when I use the phone
    01-02-17 09:13 PM
    Most of us come from BlackBerry10 which had great battery management. Unfortunately, Android doesn't. So here's how to get more out of your Priv - or any other Android device.

Go in Settings > Apps

Enter each App individually. Force stop all your non essentials Apps.

Click on Data Usage and restrict background data.

*You might want to avoid doing this to apps you check heavily (i.e.: I skipped IG).

Lastly, for non-essential apps, clear some space by going into Storage, then clearing cache.

Repeat for every app on your phone, and your standby time will double!
    Thank you very much for the advice...question, if you don't mind...what exactly is a force stop? I am guessing you are manually stopping these non-essential apps. If so, is there any potential problems if you think an app is non-essential, but it actually is? I understand that you can disable or force stop FaceBook. No problem there. But are there others that you need to know are in fact essential? I think you would be safe just sticking to apps like FaceBook and the like.

The restrict background data sounds very useful.

And, you have to clear the cache for each app? How often should you do this, or are you only doing it for the ones that you are force stopping.

Thanks -- being a Tech *****, I get myself into trouble far too often, LOL.
    01-03-17 10:42 AM
    Or just don't touch any settings and your standby time will be great anyway.

Double your stanby battery life!-img_20161218_154959.jpg
    Double your stanby battery life!-img_20161218_154955.jpg
    Double your stanby battery life!-img_20161218_155004.jpg
    01-03-17 10:57 AM
    Actually, force stopping any app(s) is generally a bad idea. This is not like a PC where you need to free up memory. Android is Linux based and works better if apps stay in memory. It will automatically shut down an app when it really needs memory for a new app. I don't know the details on the algorithm used, but takes into consideration how often the app is used, how long since last used and the amount of memory it will free up. If you force stop an app, next time you need it, it has to be reloaded into RAM, taking more processor cycles, more time and more battery.
    This isn't to say an app should never be force stopped, sometimes it's needed, along with a cache clear. But only if it's misbehaving. And sometimes we don't know which app is causing trouble, and may have to close several.
    01-03-17 11:16 AM
    If so, is there any potential problems if you think an app is non-essential, but it actually is?
    Yes, Phone is actually an app, and there are others, one of the reboot methods will fix it if you accidentally do a wrong one, if it doesn't just restart by it's self.

The restrict background data sounds very useful.
    It is, thats prob where OP got his increase in standby time.

Also turn OFF wifi and bluetooth scanning, oddly it's under Location in settings, 3 dot menu, upper right.
    Do not turn on Accelerated Location, unless you need to save a second in figuring out where you are.
    Turn OFF Google Location history, unless for some reason you have a hard time remembering where you've been.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    01-03-17 11:31 AM
    This is bad advice. The best thing to do is leave Android alone and not close *any* apps. Leave them all in memory except those that run in the background like Google Maps and Waze. Shut those down when you're done.

I currently have 30 apps in my recents and easily get a full day.

Simply Google "do I need to close apps on Android"

Is is a myth that apps need to be closed on Android. It uses much less power to recall from memory than to use the CPU to reload them.

Apps like Greenify and the like all do more harm than good.

Try it. Just leave Android alone.
    01-03-17 11:39 AM
    Try to reinstall it. I was having a ridiculous Keep Awake bar. I factory reset it and now it's only awake when I use the phone
    Ok, thanks. I'll give it another go and see it has been solved.
    01-03-17 12:30 PM
    I solved the problem to install app battery saver on the play store, now battery lasts two days
    01-04-17 05:14 PM
    I solved the problem to install app battery saver on the play store, now battery lasts two days
    Do you honestly think this is true? You think the Android OS can't do as good a job as some third party app?

LMAO!
    01-04-17 05:34 PM
    This is bad advice. The best thing to do is leave Android alone and not close *any* apps. Leave them all in memory except those that run in the background like Google Maps and Waze. Shut those down when you're done.

I currently have 30 apps in my recents and easily get a full day.

Simply Google "do I need to close apps on Android"

Is is a myth that apps need to be closed on Android. It uses much less power to recall from memory than to use the CPU to reload them.

Apps like Greenify and the like all do more harm than good.

Try it. Just leave Android alone.
    Leave a few apps open for any period of time and the phone starts to stutter like crazy and apps open very slowly. With the excepton of the Hub, I close all of my apps right after I'm finished with them otherwise after they been on for a while, they start to make the whole phone laggy and un-responsive.
    01-05-17 02:25 AM
    Leave a few apps open for any period of time and the phone starts to stutter like crazy and apps open very slowly. With the excepton of the Hub, I close all of my apps right after I'm finished with them otherwise after they been on for a while, they start to make the whole phone laggy and un-responsive.
    Something is definitely wrong with your phone. I have left a lot of apps open for long periods and I have never experienced any slow down in phone performance at all.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-05-17 07:15 AM
    Something is definitely wrong with your phone. I have left a lot of apps open for long periods and I have never experienced any slow down in phone performance at all.
    Same with both of my Priv's. A Verizon and a ShopBB (t-mob sim at the moment).
    01-05-17 09:36 AM
    Or you use the Greenify app, closes the apps you have chosen automatically after a period of time.
    01-05-17 10:40 AM
    Or you use the Greenify app, closes the apps you have chosen automatically after a period of time.
    Closing apps makes things worse.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/closin...-things-worse/
    01-05-17 11:05 AM
    Could be a bad app then I guess because I have 2 Priv's, a S7 Edge, a Pixel & a Nexus 6p and it's the same on all of them. It doesn't start to get laggy right away - usually a day or 2 before the lag & stuttering starts. Or it could be I'm comparing it to IOS & BB10 which doesn't seem to have these issues for me.
    01-05-17 10:34 PM
    Problem I find as a new Priv user is that multitasking screen gets hopelessly cluttered so I close some just to make it manageable. Any other solutions you can suggest would be helpful.
    01-05-17 10:46 PM
    Problem I find as a new Priv user is that multitasking screen gets hopelessly cluttered so I close some just to make it manageable. Any other solutions you can suggest would be helpful.
    You can change the look of the screen if the default looks cluttered to you. It's under, settings>display>recents.
    01-05-17 11:34 PM
    As Ray, says, you can change. I used Rolodex mode. That way you roll/rotate through them one at a time rather than a mess of Tiles or whatever the other option is. Obviously, they are all there but presented in a neater fashion, I think.
    01-06-17 12:13 AM
    Or just use the home screen to open the app again.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    01-06-17 02:58 AM
    I'm still not totally convinced that closing apps with the recent's screen is the same as force closing under apps in settings.
    If I clear an app, or all, in recent's then open it again, it's fractionally slower than if I had not closed it. Just barely noticeable. If I force close the app in app settings, it's definitely slower to open, but still fast,less than 2 sec for most.
    If I close an app under recents, (one that shouldn't restart it'self), then go into the settings apps, I am able to force close it. How can you force close an app that you just closed?
    If I force close an app, then completely close out of settings, then go back into settings > apps, the force close option is greyed out, as it should be - you can't close an app that is already closed.

Can anybody explain, preferably with references, why the two act so much different?
    FF22 likes this.
    01-06-17 06:05 AM
    I ran my own little experiment with leaving the apps in recent vs clearing Recent and I saw no difference in the time it takes apps to open (whether via Recent or via home screen) vs clearing Recent and reopening an app. I did see a slight increase in battery consumption when I didn't clear the apps.
    However I saw no difference in overall speed performance.
    01-06-17 09:05 AM
26 12