Has anybody figured out if there is a possibility to change the dpi by Software like for example in cyanogenmod?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-24-15 04:13 PM
    I tried to find this info as well - text is too big in the main Hub list, but making the system font smaller makes reading e-mail almost impossible
    11-24-15 04:41 PM
    Believe you need root.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-24-15 04:58 PM
    Believe you need root.
    Disclaimer: I don't have a Priv yet. But Android is Android, I think.

Android introduced a non-root way in recent versions. You just need access to the internal shell. Either via USB cable, debug mode and the adb shell command from your Desktop or with something like JuiceSSH or another Terminal app. Then, at the prompt type:

Code:
    wm density 480
    This sets the dpi to 480. You can reset it to the factory value with:

Code:
    wm density reset
    However, there's a second value in Android which is used by some system components and which you can only set with root access. If both values differ, you might get strange effects in some apps, like SwiftKey or the Play Store. For me, some icons were displayed too large.
    11-24-15 06:38 PM
    Great, thank you! Now I remember why I downloaded the android sdk. Will report back after I try it out.

11-24-15 10:25 PM
    CRACKBERRY WON'T LET ME POST LINKS BECAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST POST:

I was able to change the dpi from 560 (stock dpi) to 420 on my priv quite easily without root using this method:

google: "change dpi without root", choose second link (androidbeat website)

But before you do this make sure you have the blackberry drivers installed on your pc for ADB to run without issue. This the link I used for the drivers:

google: "blackberry priv drivers"

I've also attached some screenshots of my priv on 420 dpi. I like it a LOT better than stock DPI. But note that I used an icon changer app to make my icons even smaller:

google play store "icon changer free"

ps. this is my first post so crackberry won't let me post actual links (I can't understand why!), but every time I try to post with a link it says I need to have 10 posts in order to start posting links. LAME.

Display DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.30.13.jpgDisplay DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.30.24.jpgDisplay DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.30.37.jpgDisplay DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.40.55.jpgDisplay DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.41.48.jpgDisplay DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.42.05-1.jpgDisplay DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.42.23.jpgDisplay DPI change?-2016-01-14-15.42.43.jpg
    01-14-16 10:05 AM
    Can anyone confirm that changing the resolution via adb works and the UI is showing correctly?

Code:
    adb shell wm size 1920x1080
    Thanks in advance

Lowering the resolution (and adjusting the dpi accordingly) should somewhat solve the heat issues as well as increasing the framerate and lower the ammount of dropped frames. Hope for a confirmation.
    07-29-16 02:41 AM
    It of course works, as for the UI showing correctly, it will scale to the size you choose, but be aware that the UI elements were all designed around 1440 x 2560 resolution, so any others will likely not look exactly right, but should be functional. Additionally, it should be noted that this also means that the visual experience will likely be degraded by doing this, since you will no longer be using the native res for the display panel. I'd expect artifacts and aliasing to be the most likely problems.

I also wouldn't necessarily say that a lower resolution would actually make a difference as far as performance goes. It may, but it wouldn't surprise me if it actually didn't.

A final point, you do not need to use adb for this. You can do it directly on the device using any of the plethora of terminal emulator apps available on the PlayStore.
    07-29-16 09:27 AM

A final point, you do not need to use adb for this. You can do it directly on the device using any of the plethora of terminal emulator apps available on the PlayStore.
    I have an app called termux. Both the commands, adb and wm are not found. I don't have a pc. Only a mac. Is it still possible to change the Priv dpi?

Thanks.
    07-29-16 02:42 PM
    I have an app called termux. Both the commands, adb and wm are not found. I don't have a pc. Only a mac. Is it still possible to change the Priv dpi?

Thanks.
    Apologies, too used to people being familiar with unix commands, I forgot to point out that all you need to type if doing this on a terminal emulator is 'wm density ###' less the ''s. I just confirmed it myself using the simple Terminal Emulator by jack palevich, it's the lightest weight terminal on the playstore and is the only one I've ever used, and both size and density options for wm worked for me.
    07-29-16 03:27 PM
    Apologies, too used to people being familiar with unix commands, I forgot to point out that all you need to type if doing this on a terminal emulator is 'wm density ###' less the ''s. I just confirmed it myself using the simple Terminal Emulator by jack palevich, it's the lightest weight terminal on the playstore and is the only one I've ever used, and both size and density options for wm worked for me.
    Thanks for the pointer. So in the app that you mentioned (Terminal Emulator), I see this :

wm density reset
    java.lang.SecurityException: Must hold permission android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1620)
    at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1573)
    at android.view.IWindowManager$Stub$Proxy.clearForced DisplayDensity(IWindowManager.java:1205)
    at com.android.commands.wm.Wm.runDisplayDensity(Wm.ja va:206) at com.android.commands.wm.Wm.onRun(Wm.java:89)
    at com.android.internal.os.BaseCommand.run(BaseComman d.java:47)
    at com.android.commands.wm.Wm.main(Wm.java:46)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.nativeFinishIn it(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeIn it.java:280)
    1|u0_a32@venice:/ $ sudo !!
    /system/bin/sh: sudo: not found

Did you do anything to set up permissions?

Thanks.
    07-29-16 04:12 PM
    How bizarre. Never noticed before that you need su access in order to set those commands on the device directly, but you don't need it for setting it over adb... I wonder why. There's probably an answer for it, but I don't know off the top of my head and haven't the time at the moment to research it. My apologies, but seems like your only option will be to use adb if you want to try this out.

I will try and see if I can't figure out why it behaves this way at some point, but I make no guarantees.
    07-29-16 04:21 PM
    How bizarre. Never noticed before that you need su access in order to set those commands on the device directly, but you don't need it for setting it over adb... I wonder why. There's probably an answer for it, but I don't know off the top of my head and haven't the time at the moment to research it. My apologies, but seems like your only option will be to use adb if you want to try this out.

I will try and see if I can't figure out why it behaves this way at some point, but I make no guarantees.
    Thanks, I'll try the adb route later.
    07-29-16 04:26 PM
    Not sure about Nougat, i hope Google will include this kind of option on their official release as i think, not just for PRIV BUT it will also benefit the other phone's users who are using the latest screen specs e.g S7, HTC10 etc who don't really need that sharp screen to be on all the time.

Personally i love the fact that BBRY put 2K screen on the PRIV, that has put PRIV on par with the competition of course, however, it's Google's part now to put that kind of DPI selection baked into Android so people will have more freedom to select.

07-29-16 06:41 PM
    Can I ask what the benefit is to doing this?

FF22 likes this.
    07-29-16 07:48 PM
    Can I ask what the benefit is to doing this?

If you're after a better battery life, the best way to do it is by reducing the screen resolution. That's why the Z30 has a monstrous battery life compared to the Z10, it's 5" but the screen is AMOLED AND a lower resolution.

07-30-16 12:08 AM
    If you're after a better battery life, the best way to do it is by reducing the screen resolution. That's why the Z30 has a monstrous battery life compared to the Z10, it's 5" but the screen is AMOLED AND a lower resolution.

I wouldn't have expected that. Actually I would have assumed that downscaling the resolution might use even more battery since the native resolution is the same.
    But I guess it makes sense since the processor is rendering less resolution despite the actual physical number of pixels used being the same.
    My battery life is acceptable to me as is regardless so I don't want to sacrifice display quality and potential scaling issues.
    I go a full work day with about 40% left around 5:00PM with moderate to heavy usage. By then I'm in the car and the quickcharge tops it up nicely by the time I get home.

07-30-16 08:55 AM
    Today I tried the ADB-Methode since at least Termux didn´t do anything. At first try it didn´t show up, but the second time it worked.

I went from 500 (first try) down to 360, and will revert back to 360 once Nougat shows up and I can use some extra space, but for now 400 was small enough for me. Haven´t noticed any problems yet, everythings scaled nicely. Somewhere around 380 would be comparable to the smallest setting for both text and display size in LineageOS Nougat, for a comparison.

ADB also works instantly, so you´ll be able to see the changes applied to after 1-4 seconds, and it will also remain the same after beeing restarted.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-20-17 01:11 PM
    Wondering can't we just change the DPI from Developers Options, if not from the Settings > Display > Display?

At least this is what I see from my KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

08-04-17 06:04 PM
    Wondering can't we just change the DPI from Developers Options, if not from the Settings > Display > Display?

At least this is what I see from my KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fc0f467939.jpg
    That option doesn't exist on the Priv.
    08-04-17 06:20 PM
    That option doesn't exist on the Priv.
    That's why we need Nougat...
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    08-05-17 06:34 PM
    That's why we need Nougat...
    We're probably not getting that. Their response was pretty much "buy a KEYone"
    08-06-17 12:04 AM