maybe this was posted earlier but this shows the Priv to be quite bright among other qualities with this batch. Best of Android 2015: Display - Android Authority

I compared the Priv to the S7 and the S7 seems brighter however which wasn't in this group. My wife S6 isn't as bright as the Priv.
    07-20-16 11:42 PM
    That's is a great feature, especially for people going outdoors looking for Pokemon......

Kidding aside, I live in Florida... AMOLED displays were something I really didn't want to have to go to. Glad the PRIV has a bright display.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    07-21-16 08:38 AM
    maybe this was posted earlier but this shows the Priv to be quite bright among other qualities with this batch. Best of Android 2015: Display - Android Authority

I compared the Priv to the S7 and the S7 seems brighter however which wasn't in this group. My wife S6 isn't as bright as the Priv.
    Under sunlight S7 is absolutely much more bright than the Priv.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    07-22-16 06:38 PM
    I'm glad the OP posted a link to that article. Interesting.

But I held a Note 5 in one hand on max brightness and a Priv in the other and the Note 5 was A LOT brighter. Not even close.

That article makes me think I need to redo the experiment. Or my settings. Or something.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-22-16 06:42 PM
    Why you need such a bright screen? That burns your battery, no wonder why Samsung phones burn their batteries so fast..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-22-16 07:09 PM
    You can play with the color "tones" or white balance and that can sometimes affect how the screen looks.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    07-22-16 07:52 PM
    Ah. I'll give that a shot.

I need a bright screen to see my phone outside. It was 104 today so the sun burns bright here.

07-22-16 08:14 PM
    Beside the brightness in sunlight, I would like to have a more dark screen in darkness. Any suggestions beside black app themes and browser reader mode?
    07-22-16 08:55 PM
    Ah. I'll give that a shot.

I need a bright screen to see my phone outside. It was 104 today so the sun burns bright here.

Make auto bright is off then turn brightness all the way up

gizmo21 likes this.
    07-22-16 10:35 PM
    Thanks for that. I tried it and it worked. MUCH brighter.

07-22-16 10:48 PM
    Not brightness per say, mine gets bright enough at 2/3 and auto brightness ON.
    But it takes soooo looong to get up to bright after waking it up. Sometimes I just point it at the sun and count to 3.
    Anybody else notice that?
    07-23-16 08:38 AM
    I use an app called Velis Auto Brightness that makes it adjust quicker and you can change the light levels.

But Velis and similar have to uninstalled sometimes in order to install other apps because of s "screen overlay" warning. After the new app is installed it can go back on. I haven't found s way around this (on either of my marshmallow devices).

It is free.

07-23-16 09:30 AM
    With adaptive brightness on, the maximum brightness seems to be proportional to the slider setting. Kind of stupid for it to work this way because it means if you need screen legibility outdoors and set your brightness to maximum, you will drain the battery a lot faster (and generate more heat) under ALL light conditions, whether you are using adaptive brightness or not. It would be much more efficient if there were more granular controls on adaptive brightness and you could set maximum to kick in only if the ambient light exceeds a certain threshold.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    07-23-16 01:29 PM
    I have noticed too that after MM the screen become significantly less bright than it was before.

07-23-16 01:43 PM
    I have noticed too that after MM the screen become significantly less bright than it was before.

Yep so did I
    07-23-16 01:44 PM
    Personal preferences will apply here, but just throwing this out there as an option. I'm spending as much time as I can holding down a chair on my deck in the sun (Canadian summers are short!) I struggle with tye brightness myself, so I've played with the white balance as well as the adaptive brightness. I find that the cooler white stands out better for my old eyes in the bright daylight than the warmer whites.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-23-16 02:58 PM
    That's a great suggestion. I'll try that when I quit piddling on CrackBerry

Last edited by CharlieV; 07-23-16 at 10:15 PM.
    07-23-16 07:15 PM
    But how does that even work, I'm constantly using the brightness adjuster especially when I'm in bed at night.

It's still quite bright in darkness even with the auto adjustment.

07-23-16 10:09 PM
    From what I've been able to dig up, adaptive is supposed to provide a range of auto brightness based on what you have the slider set at. I wasn't able to find out what that range was, it may vary by device, and OS version. Lets just use 50% range to make the math easy.
    If you put slider to 50%, you will get 25 to 75% of full range.
    If you put slider to 25%, you will get 0 to 50% of full range.
    If you put slider to 75%, you will get 50 to 100% of full range.
    Thats the theory, actual implementation seems to be less than stellar, and works better or worse depending on device/OS.

And I can tell you for a fact, my Priv does NOT work that way. Not completely anyway, it never reaches 100% with adaptive ON, regardless of slider setting. It kinda sorta follows the 'rules', but has it's own opinion on when those rules should be bent.

I don't watch any kind of videos, or play any games out in the sun, just basic text / email, so whatever it's doing, works for me.
    That is, after the really long delay in adjusting its self. Oddly, the delay is only in getting bright in the sunlight, after waking up, (pulling out of holster and away from sleep magnet) after that it does fine. Even if it times into sleep and gets woken again. Very Odd.
    07-24-16 07:23 AM
    From what I've been able to dig up, adaptive is supposed to provide a range of auto brightness based on what you have the slider set at. I wasn't able to find out what that range was, it may vary by device, and OS version. Lets just use 50% range to make the math easy.
    If you put slider to 50%, you will get 25 to 75% of full range.
    If you put slider to 25%, you will get 0 to 50% of full range.
    If you put slider to 75%, you will get 50 to 100% of full range.
    Thats the theory, actual implementation seems to be less than stellar, and works better or worse depending on device/OS.

And I can tell you for a fact, my Priv does NOT work that way. Not completely anyway, it never reaches 100% with adaptive ON, regardless of slider setting. It kinda sorta follows the 'rules', but has it's own opinion on when those rules should be bent.

I don't watch any kind of videos, or play any games out in the sun, just basic text / email, so whatever it's doing, works for me.
    That is, after the really long delay in adjusting its self. Oddly, the delay is only in getting bright in the sunlight, after waking up, (pulling out of holster and away from sleep magnet) after that it does fine. Even if it times into sleep and gets woken again. Very Odd.
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
    And yes, forgot to mention that just like you, my Priv doesn't bring 100% brightness in the outdoors either. So it's like the "adaptive" thingie doesn't even work and I still have to resort to manually using it.

Less than ideal.
    07-24-16 08:24 AM
    Interesting. That's what I surmised and wrote, but then I deleted it thinking I had to be wrong!

I've experimented today and that is true. If you set the slider to a lower or higher value, the adaptive value will stay in that range.

Very odd. I'm confident that is a Marshmallow or OS feature but my Note 4 also has marshmallow and seems to have access to the full range.

07-24-16 08:44 AM
    I know this an old thread, but I downloaded Velis this morning, plenty of bright sun, dim warehouses and nicely lit conference rooms to test it.
    I'm impressed, with the default settings, (except I chose fast response time) it works well.
    Not really enough time to tell for sure on battery effect, but after 10 hours, seems to be good there too.
    08-26-16 04:35 PM