What's the difference between Push and Sync. Which one should I have on and which one should I have off?

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    11-22-15 12:24 AM
    Push emails are sent from the mail server to your client as soon as they are received by the server.
    Syncing your email client to the mail server downloads any currently available messages to your email client.
    11-22-15 12:38 AM
    Push emails are sent from the mail server to your client as soon as they are received by the server.
    Syncing your email client to the mail server downloads any currently available messages to your email client.
    Is it better to have the push on and have the sync off for the Priv

11-22-15 01:35 AM
    Is it better to have the push on and have the sync off for the Priv

Yes.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-15 01:47 AM
    Exactly. Consequences are: a device using Push receives messages much faster, in a few seconds, while a synchronizing device always has it's synchronization intervall. And synchronizing devices have mostly much more data traffic, several MB per day, just by synchronizing always the same content. This can be important if you have limited data volume. Push saves also a lot of energy. If your mail server supports the Push mechanism you should use Push and set the synchronization interval to manually. I don't know what the Priv does. In BB10 it was possible to have both active at once, which is nonsense.
    11-22-15 01:53 AM
    Then I have a problem when I turn off sync and use just push I get my messages 20 mins after they are sent? Is there a solution?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-22-15 01:59 AM
    Then I have a problem when I turn off sync and use just push I get my messages 20 mins after they are sent? Is there a solution?
    In this case you should be sure about the reasons. The Push message is sent by your email server when he receives the message from the sender. If the time is lost before (on other servers on the net) you can't do anything. If your server loses the time you could ask your mail provider what happens. I get my Push messages always in less than 10 seconds.

If you really need 20min, I guess your server doesn't send Push notifications. Probably you synchronize your device manually, when you open the Hub, without any Push. Inform yourself on the website of your mail server about a feature called IMAP IDLE (the technology behind Push notifications). If your server doesn't support IMAP IDLE you can wait for ever. I don't know how POP servers support this mechanism.
    11-22-15 02:44 AM
    Exactly. Consequences are: a device using Push receives messages much faster, in a few seconds, while a synchronizing device always has it's synchronization intervall. And synchronizing devices have mostly much more data traffic, several MB per day, just by synchronizing always the same content. This can be important if you have limited data volume. Push saves also a lot of energy. If your mail server supports the Push mechanism you should use Push and set the synchronization interval to manually. I don't know what the Priv does. In BB10 it was possible to have both active at once, which is nonsense.
    It didn't use them both at once. It used whichever one made sense based on your email provider. If your mail provider supports push, it uses that and otherwise uses the specified sync interval. Priv does the same. It takes the responsibility off the user to know what their provider does support.
    11-22-15 10:19 PM
    Well I am using Yahoo and Gmail . It worked well on my z30 but on the priv I gotta sync. It's not much of a big deal since lately I've been getting great battery life but thank you for your help I will look into it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-22-15 10:24 PM
    Make sure you are also using the IMAP protocol rather than POP to better facilitate receiving email from the same mail server on multiple devices.
    11-22-15 10:54 PM
    It didn't use them both at once. It used whichever one made sense based on your email provider. If your mail provider supports push, it uses that and otherwise uses the specified sync interval. Priv does the same. It takes the responsibility off the user to know what their provider does support.
    This is what you would expect. But there was a version of BB10 which used indeed both, if you had Push on and a synchronization interval. You could measure it in your data traffic. Probably they fixed this later, don't know, I have always Push on and synchronization interval on "Manually".
    11-23-15 01:40 AM