Your experience mirrored minke but I just wanted the apps.

I have a PP SE and sold a passport classic before.

I have a Priv now and after 6 months it's almost falling apart and my SE is like new with heavy 1 year plus use.

I actually like my Priv but the quality variance is laughable especially compared to the SE I'm terrified to bring my PRIV anywhere; it is possible I got a lemon but the issues I have from research are not rare.

I'm using both still but due to some screen issues will going to use SE more and wait for the Mercury which appears to be more likely to be workhorse / durable but we shall see

Posted via CB10
    01-28-17 10:50 PM
    Not at all.

Coming from the Q10, i have been more than happy with the priv.

I miss the gestures from bb10, but the priv is way superior in evrything minus the hub which is not nearly as good as bb10. The pkb also was better on Q10

But in evrything else, the android priv is better, way better

Better battery, better screen, better apps, faster and with a lot of customizable options.

At the beggining was weird for me because i have never used android before but now im firing on all cylinders with this thing.

I coudnt be happier
    FF22 likes this.
    01-28-17 11:17 PM
    The only reason I forced myself to like my PRIV was that the physical build quality wasn't as sturdy as I had imagined it to be.

Aside from that, I've had it for about a year now and have never had a major complaint/concern about it.
    01-29-17 01:49 AM
    I used the Priv for just over a year and now have been using a SE for a week. Hardware wise the Priv is pretty solid. I like the changes that BlackBerry has done to android but after using the OS for over 3 years I'm done being fustrated by it. I've learned to live without most apps and am loving bb10 all over again.

Posted via CB10
    elfuzz likes this.
    01-29-17 02:06 AM
    So, the PRIV.

Over the last dozen or so years i have used many many devices. All with hardware keyboards. From the inter@ctive, to palm treos, the bold, the captivate glide, the passport, etc, etc. All of which have pros and cons as any phone would, but i've been able to overcome those cons and grow to appreciate it in its own individual way.

Anyway, I put off buying a priv for quite some time, it's not about the money, i just liked the passport. However recently i started to get some screen lift on the passport, so i decided it was time to "upgrade".

And i just have to say i can't do it. Compared to the passport it's just junk. I feel like the keyboard is an afterthought, it's so tiny, i feel like im just button mashing. The passport feels like it's made for business usage. The priv seems like it's made for, well i dont even know.

I've really tried to, it's been a few weeks (5). I really wanted to like it. I do like the screen, and the speakers, and it's got a nice feel to it. But the poor hub integration, and this keyboard are killing it for me. Why did they curve the screen? it seems like all it does is get in the way?

At this point, I'm literally hours away from just buying another passport and putting off this upgrade business until the mercury ...assuming its keyboard is a little larger.

So, do you really like it? or did you force yourself to like it?

What did you have to do to make it worthwhile? Am i missing something? is there a technique to holding it? should i install some gesture app i've never heard of? Do i need to give it more time? should i give it more time?
    I am coming also from the passport.
    The only reason I have switched to the Priv is the fact that BlackBerry 10 is/was dead.
    If today you give me the option to chose between the Priv and the passport, both to run Android I will certainly opt for the Passport!
    To my opinion the only thing is better on the Priv is the rear camera.
    01-31-17 02:43 PM
    Owner of a Passport RED, Passport SE and a PRIV..about the PRIV...well
    -love the amazing screen
    -love that can use my PRIV with one hand
    -love the fact can install apps and not worry about patching / white listing..( thanks cobalt for some use on Passport)
    -love the fact the keyboard back lit on ALL keys and always lites up. Sometimes keyboard on SE does not lite up!
    -love the fact on my PRIV can OKB or PKB. Sometimes like to send a quick urgent mail in the car OKB is so convenient.
    -love the fact curved screen holds so good in hand
    -love the fact when get off an airplane how fast PRIV connects mobile service
    -love the fact that when watching videos no black stripes top and bottom...
    -and so much more..

Use the Passports on daily basis but the PRIV is an awesome device!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and newcollector like this.
    01-31-17 03:34 PM
    The thing with the passport is that there are a few things i'd like to be able to run that i just cannot. Theyre all for work, and they all use google play services, and so they're a no-go on the passport. In some cases i've been able to find alternatives (like pushbullet, rather than pushover). In others there just aren't any. i could care less about games, or facebook, or snapchat.

So, that lead me to the priv. I've used android before, and i have it on tablets, i figured it couldn't be that bad. But something about the hardware and software on this thing, they just dont work. I find myself avoiding using it.

The mercury seems interesting, but even if the keyboard is improved, the software is still probably miles behind bb10 in terms of functionality (that is without the app library)

If they just fixed the play services thing on the android stack of bb10, i'd be fine with this, bugs and all.

I should just accept i like the passport. good thing there's a sale right now
    Why don't you try Cobalt232's solution for Apps that require Google Play Services?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...g-page-965257/

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 07:41 AM
    No forcing at all. My wife took it and only hands it over to me when she needs help with some setting. I stay with my Passport.

I fixed the clicking screen and it was fine until recently. Now when she types on the VKB, it sounds like the old typewriters.

Posted from my  Passport
    02-01-17 08:28 AM
    No forcing at all. My wife took it and only hands it over to me when she needs help with some setting. I stay with my Passport.

I fixed the clicking screen and it was fine until recently. Now when she types on the VKB, it sounds like the old typewriters.

Posted from my  Passport
    I'm not sure about the Passport, but those screens are usually held in place by a heat activated adhesive double sided tape...if it's lifting it's probably because the adhesive is compromised in some way, maybe by dust or something else. The point I'm making is that it's completely repairable. Once you or your repair shop has the correct tools and materials and directions it should be a fairly simple and solid repair process! Shouldn't be too expensive either!

Posted via CB10
    littlebuff likes this.
    02-01-17 05:32 PM
    Absolutely no forcing required, although I don't really understand how anyone can be forced into buy and using a phone they don't want, especially when I consider my first Priv was purchased on launch day at $800 CAD plus taxes.
    02-01-17 11:25 PM
    I'm not sure about the Passport, but those screens are usually held in place by a heat activated adhesive double sided tape...if it's lifting it's probably because the adhesive is compromised in some way, maybe by dust or something else. The point I'm making is that it's completely repairable. Once you or your repair shop has the correct tools and materials and directions it should be a fairly simple and solid repair process! Shouldn't be too expensive either!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks mate, for the advice. But I meant the Priv screen clicking, not the Passport. Well, your advice is putting me into this 'fix-it-up' mode so I am going to have a check up on my wife's phone soon when she got back.

Hell, I was about to type 'check up on my wife + name of the phone', but then I've always pronounced it as PRI - VY. I was laughing and wondering who came up with the name when I first learnt of the name Priv.
    02-02-17 12:56 AM
    Screen height, closeness of keys and a few software annoyances but I do like it. Liked the passport better for key placement but it's all right I reckon.
    02-02-17 08:02 AM
    I wasn't sure at first. Then one day after my hypnotherapist appointment looked at my PRIV and I loved it.
    Last edited by Gray; 02-02-17 at 01:20 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-02-17 12:52 PM
    Why don't you try Cobalt232's solution for Apps that require Google Play Services?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...g-page-965257/

Posted via CB10
    You clearly haven't been paying attention. Most app developers have upgraded their apps beyond Jellybean, so even with Cobalt's patching, they no longer work on BB10 phones.
    02-03-17 07:02 AM
    Thanks mate, for the advice. But I meant the Priv screen clicking, not the Passport. Well, your advice is putting me into this 'fix-it-up' mode so I am going to have a check up on my wife's phone soon when she got back.

Hell, I was about to type 'check up on my wife + name of the phone', but then I've always pronounced it as PRI - VY. I was laughing and wondering who came up with the name when I first learnt of the name Priv.
    Yes, I had to force myself to like the name Priv - in fact, I still hate it. But the phone is great.
    buwee likes this.
    02-03-17 07:05 AM
    I liked mine pretty much from day one although I missed bb10. I've had mine for a year now and recently paid it off. I'm considering using my upgrade to just get another priv to have if/ when this one tanks. Or if I'd drop it or break it in some way. I've gotten to really like the vkb and like having the option to use the vkb. I've never had a slider ever of any kind and I have to say I really like it.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-18-17 07:03 PM
    I liked mine pretty much from day one although I missed bb10. I've had mine for a year now and recently paid it off. I'm considering using my upgrade to just get another priv to have if/ when this one tanks. Or if I'd drop it or break it in some way. I've gotten to really like the vkb and like having the option to use the vkb. I've never had a slider ever of any kind and I have to say I really like it.
    Ah yes, the slider pkb. This is exactly what won me over to the Priv.I still remember by Dopod 838 and my HTC Tytn from a decade back. Both were windows mobile landscape pkb sliders. Excellent handsets during that era.

Even if I end up giving in to the Mercury, I think I'll keep my Priv around for a long time as a second handset, unless a superior slider pkb (still dreaming for a landscape slider pkb handset) comes along from one of the BlackBerry licensees.
    02-19-17 02:44 AM
    So, the PRIV.

Over the last dozen or so years i have used many many devices. All with hardware keyboards. From the inter@ctive, to palm treos, the bold, the captivate glide, the passport, etc, etc. All of which have pros and cons as any phone would, but i've been able to overcome those cons and grow to appreciate it in its own individual way.

Anyway, I put off buying a priv for quite some time, it's not about the money, i just liked the passport. However recently i started to get some screen lift on the passport, so i decided it was time to "upgrade".

And i just have to say i can't do it. Compared to the passport it's just junk. I feel like the keyboard is an afterthought, it's so tiny, i feel like im just button mashing. The passport feels like it's made for business usage. The priv seems like it's made for, well i dont even know.

I've really tried to, it's been a few weeks (5). I really wanted to like it. I do like the screen, and the speakers, and it's got a nice feel to it. But the poor hub integration, and this keyboard are killing it for me. Why did they curve the screen? it seems like all it does is get in the way?

At this point, I'm literally hours away from just buying another passport and putting off this upgrade business until the mercury ...assuming its keyboard is a little larger.

So, do you really like it? or did you force yourself to like it?

What did you have to do to make it worthwhile? Am i missing something? is there a technique to holding it? should i install some gesture app i've never heard of? Do i need to give it more time? should i give it more time?
    Short answer...yes. I just purchased a Priv that arrives tomorrow. this is my second go around with the Priv. I am trying to force myself to like it now. I wanted to like the phone. I looked forward to it. when I got it in my hands though there were things that I didn't like that made it impossible for me.

1. It constantly got hot, very hot. The phone was clearly working hard. Not a good indicator.
    2. The phone creaked. Creaked all the time. No bueno.
    3. I used a Torch for longer than any phone that I ever had. The slider never gave me an indicator of weakening. I never had the same reassuring feeling with the Priv.
    4. It was awkwardly balanced in the hand. Just how I felt but it seemed weird to hold.
    5. The keyboard seemed very cramped. Had I continued to use it I am sure that I would have adjusted. I didn't give it enough time. But the keyboard is small, but to be expected in a slider.

Despite the negatives though I am going back to it, for now. I have a couple of Passports, and while I feel that they are the best phones ever, I can see their EOL on the horizon. its clearly only a matter of time. I am therefore making the move from BB10 to BlackBerry Android. I am excited about buying a Mercury like many here. I also wanted to own a BlackBerry made BlackBerry too. Hence the purchase of the Priv. I will be catiously optimistic for the future.
    02-19-17 06:36 AM
    Short answer...yes. I just purchased a Priv that arrives tomorrow. this is my second go around with the Priv. I am trying to force myself to like it now. I wanted to like the phone. I looked forward to it. when I got it in my hands though there were things that I didn't like that made it impossible for me.

1. It constantly got hot, very hot. The phone was clearly working hard. Not a good indicator.
    2. The phone creaked. Creaked all the time. No bueno.
    3. I used a Torch for longer than any phone that I ever had. The slider never gave me an indicator of weakening. I never had the same reassuring feeling with the Priv.
    4. It was awkwardly balanced in the hand. Just how I felt but it seemed weird to hold.
    5. The keyboard seemed very cramped. Had I continued to use it I am sure that I would have adjusted. I didn't give it enough time. But the keyboard is small, but to be expected in a slider.

Despite the negatives though I am going back to it, for now. I have a couple of Passports, and while I feel that they are the best phones ever, I can see their EOL on the horizon. its clearly only a matter of time. I am therefore making the move from BB10 to BlackBerry Android. I am excited about buying a Mercury like many here. I also wanted to own a BlackBerry made BlackBerry too. Hence the purchase of the Priv. I will be catiously optimistic for the future.
    I'm very happy that my priv didn't give me the trouble with heating and battery issues. I don't doubt that some did but mine isn't one of them. Maybe I just don't use mine the same way and would see the problems if I did. It gets warm during updates and I've had it get a little warm watching long videos but never hot. I found the way to hold out for me when using the pkb and it's really not bad once you find the sweet spot. Admittedly it was a little awkward until then. Maybe the keyboard is cramped, I've nothing to compare it to. I just learned to use it and it's great IMHO
    02-19-17 09:44 AM
    The passport on unboxing gave me a thrill I haven't had since the original flip Motorola Razr...

The Priv, no thrill...

It's a very good phone, but just not a life changer...
    02-19-17 09:53 AM
    The passport on unboxing gave me a thrill I haven't had since the original flip Motorola Razr...

The Priv, no thrill...

It's a very good phone, but just not a life changer...
    Well, the first time I saw that gleaming, curved, long sexy screen, I was thrilled. When I got my second Priv, I felt the exact same thing.

Now, I admit, getting use to Android was interesting but I did not have to force myself to like it.
    02-19-17 10:11 AM
    As for the OS, passport w/bb10was great...
    Android is OK I guess. From a user experience standpoint, NOTHING comes close to the HP Pre 3 with webOS... even the PKB was far better...
    02-19-17 10:16 AM
    Ya not sure why I sold my other 2 Privs in the past, but my new to me and last Priv has been awesome. So awesome that I sold off everything else to keep this as my only device.

Not sure if it's the latest build quality or the newer software but I'm very happy with this model.

I did the same and came back to BlackBerry to get ready and used to the software for the Mercury arrives.
    02-19-17 03:00 PM
    Priv is my fav Phone I've had since 1999. It's not perfect but could be. As far as the keyboard goes it just took a lil time for muscle memory to kick in but it works well. Could be better of course especially if they would of went with 5.5 screen
    02-19-17 08:57 PM
49 12