Thoughts:

- Hub: very underwhelming experience. Nothing like BB10. Texts open in Google Messenger (wasn't there a video showing a native messaging app?), texts take a few seconds to load, I can't for the life of me add an Exchange account without granting admin access, and can't get Facebook and Twitter to show up.

- Speaker: why would they place a mono speaker to the left in the bar? Should be centered. There's an odd hissing noise when at low volume and you're listening to say a YouTuber talk. Decent quality.

- Build: there's some give in the middle on the back plate, creaks inward. Slider function works well. Screen quality is OK - as bright as a note 4. This phone gets hot.

- performance: Facebook and Instagram jitter when scrolling. Apps take a little longer to load than preferred. The display doesn't recognize all touches when the keyboard is open

- Camera: app is slow to launch, shoot, and slow to review photos. Good photo quality though.

I wouldn't consider this phone a step up from a nexus or a well rounded productivity tool. I'll be returning it on Sunday when I get a chance - BlackBerry missed the ball here and should've sticked with BB10.

Update: the Play store wasn't showing available updates. All BlackBerry apps have pending updates. Will report back.
    Last edited by unity04; 11-07-15 at 12:04 AM.
    WT44 and joewoo like this.
    11-06-15 11:47 PM
    Let us know. I think a few updates to the system especially the move to Marshmallow will take it a step further

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 01:18 AM
    Let us know. I think a few updates to the system especially the move to Marshmallow will take it a step further
    Sure - but that won't happen until halfway into the life of the Priv. I'd be seriously surprised if the Marshmallow update showed up before April or May next year. If sales are disappointing, the update might never be released.
    11-07-15 01:45 AM
    Thoughts:

- Hub: very underwhelming experience. Nothing like BB10. Texts open in Google Messenger (wasn't there a video showing a native messaging app?), texts take a few seconds to load, I can't for the life of me add an Exchange account without granting admin access, and can't get Facebook and Twitter to show up.

- Speaker: why would they place a mono speaker to the left in the bar? Should be centered. There's an odd hissing noise when at low volume and you're listening to say a YouTuber talk. Decent quality.

- Build: there's some give in the middle on the back plate, creaks inward. Slider function works well. Screen quality is OK - as bright as a note 4. This phone gets hot.

- performance: Facebook and Instagram jitter when scrolling. Apps take a little longer to load than preferred. The display doesn't recognize all touches when the keyboard is open

- Camera: app is slow to launch, shoot, and slow to review photos. Good photo quality though.

I wouldn't consider this phone a step up from a nexus or a well rounded productivity tool. I'll be returning it on Sunday when I get a chance - BlackBerry missed the ball here and should've sticked with BB10.

Update: the Play store wasn't showing available updates. All BlackBerry apps have pending updates. Will report back.
    The hub blows right now. Not being able to attach a document from the sd card is a huge oversight on BB's part.

Agree with you on the speaker. This was a big fake out by Blackberry putting that huge speaker grill on the front of the phone. The left 1/3 is the only part that's actually speaker and its muffled and not very good.

Mine has give in the back as well. I didn't notice this until you mentioned it. Not a big deal to me though.

Apps are slow to load.

The camera improves with the update but is still slow to process photos.

I'll also add that the Chrome browser sucks. I wish BB would have porter their browser over as Chrome is a battery hog and slow.

I think battery life is going to suffer with this phone. I'll give mine today to see if it improves but the first day was awful. Granted this was the first day so I'm not going to judge it yet but it should be sync'd by now. I don't want to hear "give it a week to settle in" because that's complete BS.
    WT44, joewoo and Techno-guy like this.
    11-07-15 03:43 AM
    You can integrate Twitter with BlackBerryHub by updating all BlackBerry applications in the Google Play Store. Type 'BlackBerry Limited' in the search field, update all the applications and reboot the device.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    geekaren likes this.
    11-07-15 06:51 AM
    I will chime in with my fist day review. But more to come.

The Hub: I knew going in that the Hub will not offer the same experience I had in the Passport. But, it needs some serious work here.

1. For some emails, the keyboard scrolling stops in the middle of email. Then, I have to use on-screen scrolling to go to the bottom. It doesn't happen in all the emails, but when it happens it is annoying.

2. I have yet to figure out if here is anyway to use the Hub exclusively without setting up the Gmail account. But being that it is Android, I doubt that will be possible.

Apps:

I haven't noticed any significant delay In opening closing and browsing apps. But I do not use a lot of apps. I mostly use Twitter, ESPN, banking apps, etc.

I have noticed some delay recognizing keyboard input in the twitter app. I tab on the screen to compose a tweet, it will take a few second for the cursor to appear.

In the twitter app, the BlackBerry physical keyboard doesn't get recognized time to time. Only way to activate the BlackBerry physical keyboard features are to press hold one of the keys. Weird.

But I am very happy to have full proper mobile app ecosystem at my disposal.

Camera:

I am not looking for professional quality photos from a cell phone but it appears that the picture quality is good enough. It focuses faster than my passport but it Tae some time for the images to appear to be reviewed.

Call Quality:

I didn't notice any drop in call quality. The phone does show less bars on the screen but the call goes through without a problem. I am generally getting about one to two bars indoors using att in Philadelphia area.

Phone Getting Hot:

It got hot during the first set up, but it has not been my experience since. The phone is warm, but it is probably from me using the phone too much.

Keyboard:

Keys are soft and have to recognizable travel. The keys are definitely small. Coming from the passport I sorely miss nicely spaced keys. Also, my muscle memory is all screwed up because I was finally getting good with the three row keys, and now I have to re-learn the four row keyboard layout and smaller keys. Bahhhhh

I also encountered miss fires, key press not registering. But I think it is more of the user error problem than the hardware.

I can definitely see anyone with big fingers struggling with this phone. But good news everyone. No double typing.

Be warned though, you will miss a lot of keys, especially M, N, $, E, R. But I am giving it a whole month before I give my final judgement.

Overall:

Well, it is interesting. Using Android make me realize how good the BB10 OS is. I miss a lot of things I too it for granted. Easily customizable notifications and LEDs, fully featured hub experience, space bar for dot in Web address field, gesture based navigation, and ability to close running apps with ease.

I am very conflicted right now. This phone doesn't really offer me any extra in terms of productivity but eliminates the app gap.

I am looking forward using Android pay and using apps without Google play error messages.

I think in coming month, I need to decide which I value more. Productivity and efficiency vs the apps.

I am hoping that the Priv will prove me wrong but right now, the phone has not blown me away enough to completely dismiss my trusted passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    WT44 and bluetroll like this.
    11-07-15 08:38 AM
    I have had mine for 24 hours now, there is a learning curve if you have 0 experience with Android. There is no way around that.

That being said, I love it!

It has the HUB, some are complaining about it, if you do a transfer from BB10 give it a few hours...it says that it will take some time to sync and finalize....chill folks. I promise when it is done it works GREAT!

Settings are in a different place, spend some time learning the OS and the new environment before you break out the torches and pitchforks.

Apps...I am not evening going here, no comparison at all. Priv wins.

Then the Keyboards...both are flawless and what you would expect l. I use the VKB the majority of the time as it is great for quick responses. The PKB is great as well, some are complaining about the size...look at this beautiful design, it is not going to be as large as the Classic or Passport...it is on par with the Q for size, and I loved that phone! Still have it somewhere...

Stop worrying about what other people think, go get the phone or test it out. You can send it back if you don't like it, but I doubt that happens if you spend a few days with it as your ONLy device.

Just please give it more than 5 minutes folks...learn it and love it as I do!

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    11-07-15 08:40 AM
    I have had mine for 24 hours now, there is a learning curve if you have 0 experience with Android. There is no way around that.

That being said, I love it!

It has the HUB, some are complaining about it, if you do a transfer from BB10 give it a few hours...it says that it will take some time to sync and finalize....chill folks. I promise when it is done it works GREAT!

Settings are in a different place, spend some time learning the OS and the new environment before you break out the torches and pitchforks.

Apps...I am not evening going here, no comparison at all. Priv wins.

Then the Keyboards...both are flawless and what you would expect l. I use the VKB the majority of the time as it is great for quick responses. The PKB is great as well, some are complaining about the size...look at this beautiful design, it is not going to be as large as the Classic or Passport...it is on par with the Q for size, and I loved that phone! Still have it somewhere...

Stop worrying about what other people think, go get the phone or test it out. You can send it back if you don't like it, but I doubt that happens if you spend a few days with it as your ONLy device.

Just please give it more than 5 minutes folks...learn it and love it as I do!

Rjkolo, how are you setting up the Hub? Are you using the Gmail app at the same time?

11-07-15 08:44 AM

2. I have yet to figure out if here is anyway to use the Hub exclusively without setting up the Gmail account. But being that it is Android, I doubt that will be possible.
    Create a Google account without Gmail, yes it is that simple. Here is a link to help you out!

https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWithoutGmail?hl=en

Good luck!

11-07-15 08:50 AM
    I updated all of the BlackBerry apps and its improved the overall experience on the phone but not by much. The Hub now lets me integrate Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, and opening notifications is pretty quick. The real lag is when opening texts in Messenger (is there a native messaging app? I swear BlackBerry released a promo video where there was a toolbar that had the Google G on it for texts). Also, BlackBerry Hub takes about a second to load from scratch.

Apps load quick, there's just some jank when scrolling in Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Question: when you have the screen closed and press down slightly on it, do you feel some give? I know it's a slider - just want to make sure.

The battery is OK - been using it for about 15 min and went from 100% down to 94.

Does anyone know what the middle button between the volume rocker does?

Going to give this phone another shot.
    11-07-15 09:51 AM
    I will chime in with my fist day review. But more to come.

The Hub: I knew going in that the Hub will not offer the same experience I had in the Passport. But, it needs some serious work here.

1. For some emails, the keyboard scrolling stops in the middle of email. Then, I have to use on-screen scrolling to go to the bottom. It doesn't happen in all the emails, but when it happens it is annoying.

Apps:

I haven't noticed any significant delay In opening closing and browsing apps. But I do not use a lot of apps. I mostly use Twitter, ESPN, banking apps, etc.

I have noticed some delay recognizing keyboard input in the twitter app. I tab on the screen to compose a tweet, it will take a few second for the cursor to appear.

In the twitter app, the BlackBerry physical keyboard doesn't get recognized time to time. Only way to activate the BlackBerry physical keyboard features are to press hold one of the keys. Weird.

But I am very happy to have full proper mobile app ecosystem at my disposal.

Camera:

I am not looking for professional quality photos from a cell phone but it appears that the picture quality is good enough. It focuses faster than my passport but it Tae some time for the images to appear to be reviewed.

Call Quality:

I didn't notice any drop in call quality. The phone does show less bars on the screen but the call goes through without a problem. I am generally getting about one to two bars indoors using att in Philadelphia area.

Phone Getting Hot:

It got hot during the first set up, but it has not been my experience since. The phone is warm, but it is probably from me using the phone too much.

Keyboard:

Keys are soft and have to recognizable travel. The keys are definitely small. Coming from the passport I sorely miss nicely spaced keys. Also, my muscle memory is all screwed up because I was finally getting good with the three row keys, and now I have to re-learn the four row keyboard layout and smaller keys. Bahhhhh

I also encountered miss fires, key press not registering. But I think it is more of the user error problem than the hardware.

I can definitely see anyone with big fingers struggling with this phone. But good news everyone. No double typing.

Be warned though, you will miss a lot of keys, especially M, N, $, E, R. But I am giving it a whole month before I give my final judgement.

Overall:

Well, it is interesting. Using Android make me realize how good the BB10 OS is. I miss a lot of things I too it for granted. Easily customizable notifications and LEDs, fully featured hub experience, space bar for dot in Web address field, gesture based navigation, and ability to close running apps with ease.

I am very conflicted right now. This phone doesn't really offer me any extra in terms of productivity but eliminates the app gap.

I am looking forward using Android pay and using apps without Google play error messages.

I think in coming month, I need to decide which I value more. Productivity and efficiency vs the apps.

I am hoping that the Priv will prove me wrong but right now, the phone has not blown me away enough to completely dismiss my trusted passport.

Thanks for the fair review from a BB10 user's perspective. I think this is BlackBerry skin 1.0... I remember how BB 10.0 looked like on release, but in a few months there were 10.1, then 10.2... the same team is behind this skin and I am sure they will mature into something significantly better and with no app gap.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-07-15 10:13 AM
    Responding to a whole bunch of the Hub concerns:

1) Not able to attach from SD - You can do this...hit the attachment button, select file...this will popup the Android "file picker". By default it doesn't seem to show SD card, but if you tap the overflow menu (3 dots) in the top right corner and hit "Show SD" it will allow you to pull things from SD card just fine.

2) You DO NOT need a Google Account to setup the Hub...if you're talking about the Hub "intro" screens, you can swipe past the account setup screens. Just swipe to the left and you're off to the races. Let me know if you're referencing something else though. You do need a Google account for access to Google Play though, so you'll still "need it" in essence. Just saying though, to get the Hub up and running you don't have to setup Gmail.

3) To add social accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) - first make sure you've got the updated apps from the Google Play store for both BlackBerry Services and BlackBerry Hub. You want version 1.1.x. After that make sure you've downloaded those apps from Google Play and sign in. Hub will just add the accounts automatically.

4) Not able to add an exchange account without granting admin - sounds like this is a work sponsored account of sorts and is requiring you to set passwords and such? That's a server side requirement of the Exchange server. You can't get around it unfortunately. Your admin is setting those restrictions, and the server won't let the device sync your stuff unless the device meets those requirements.
    aha likes this.
    11-07-15 11:38 AM
    All my issues have been mentioned already so I'll just say this. Not too impressed. Really hoping to see some big improvements with future software updates.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 11:55 AM
    The battery is OK - been using it for about 15 min and went from 100% down to 94.
    Oh wow...I consider that pretty significant battery drain - 24% per hour. My iPhone 6s Plus drains about 10-12% per hour in use (not gaming) and my Passport is in the same general vicinity (roughly 12-14% per hour). Keep us updated as you use the Priv more and also let us know what the Standby drain is when the Priv is not in use since that's a big battery drain component.

Battery is my #1 most important feature (as I'm sure it is for many users) since I can have significant time away from power. Thanks!
    11-07-15 12:03 PM
    Oh wow...I consider that pretty significant battery drain - 24% per hour. My iPhone 6s Plus drains about 10-12% per hour in use (not gaming) and my Passport is in the same general vicinity (roughly 12-14% per hour). Keep us updated as you use the Priv more and also let us know what the Standby drain is when the Priv is not in use since that's a big battery drain component.

Battery is my #1 most important feature (as I'm sure it is for many users) since I can have significant time away from power. Thanks!
    I can kill the HTC M9 battery in about 3 hours with the screen constantly on and surfing the web and watching videos. I hope the PRIV can do better.
    11-07-15 12:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure I updated all the apps, and Facebook and Twitter are listed in hub, but not listed in the Contacts App. Are they for you? Do the Facebook profile photos populate your contacts? Mine isn't. I've tried deleting Facebook and re logging in, no change. Would like to get some photos in my contacts...
    11-07-15 12:29 PM
    I'm pretty sure I updated all the apps, and Facebook and Twitter are listed in hub, but not listed in the Contacts App. Are they for you? Do the Facebook profile photos populate your contacts? Mine isn't. I've tried deleting Facebook and re logging in, no change. Would like to get some photos in my contacts...
    You will see their contacts in a separate account but won't be able to link them a la BlackBerry 10, at least not yet

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    11-07-15 12:43 PM
    You will see their contacts in a separate account but won't be able to link them a la BlackBerry 10, at least not yet

OK, thanks. I hope this will be added in a future version. I wonder if there might be some other way to populate the contacts with Facebook or Twitter photos?
    11-07-15 12:50 PM
    By the way, does your hub show the twitter bird on notifications? Early photos of the hub did, but I get a rt icon for retweets and a star for favourites. No blue bird.
    11-07-15 12:51 PM
    By the way, does your hub show the twitter bird on notifications? Early photos of the hub did, but I get a rt icon for retweets and a star for favourites. No blue bird.
    I use plume which doesn't show in the hub. Sorry can't help you there

MusicMtl likes this.
    11-07-15 01:02 PM
    I use plume which doesn't show in the hub. Sorry can't help you there

Helpful in a different way as I'm looking for a good twitter app too!
    11-07-15 01:10 PM
    Responding to a whole bunch of the Hub concerns:

1) Not able to attach from SD - You can do this...hit the attachment button, select file...this will popup the Android "file picker". By default it doesn't seem to show SD card, but if you tap the overflow menu (3 dots) in the top right corner and hit "Show SD" it will allow you to pull things from SD card just fine.
    The hub doesn't show the SD Card. It shows internal storage but not the SD with folders and documents. It works in the separate Gmail app but not the hub. Here is what the hub looks like on mine, and this is with the 3 dots clicked and "show SD Card" Selected. If I pick "Hide SD Card" it doesn't show the internal storage:

Day 1: thoughts and questions-screenshot_2015-11-06-21-31-01.jpg
    11-07-15 01:40 PM
    I went to the AT&T store in San Antonio which carries BB, and the manager was shocked I knew about the PRIV. They had one stashed in back, and none on display. He went and got it, and its a big phone. Felt nice. But now I am concerned about the things I hear about poor reception, and overheating. That would kill it for me, since I need good reception. Let me know.
    11-07-15 01:51 PM
    I unplugged my phone yesterday morning at 6:30am when I left the house. Email Google Map directions to a client and other normal business uses. Did not plug it in last night, this morning at 8am I am at 51% Says I still have 1 day+ left. I have had the phone since Friday. I will admit I was worried about battery life at first. But after not having it in my hands for almost every minute of the weekend (new toys are hard to put down) I am impressed with it to start the work week.

Day 1: thoughts and questions-screenshot_2015-11-10-08-02-05.jpg
    11-10-15 08:06 AM