hey gents, here is my situation.

my Classic bricked on me... brought it too close to a hot tub

i bought a new Priv, swapped over the SIM and SD card and all is largely well. However, i had 1200+ contacts on my old phone and a recent back up. these did not transfer over to the new phone of course since there is an OS change to Android.

since my old device is bricked (now no longer in my possession at all) i bought a new Classic expecting to be able to load a recent back up from a couple weeks ago then use the content transfer app. however... I am in BB Link with the new Classic plugged in, signed in with BBID and my BB Link will not connect to the device even though it is plugged in with a BB USB cable that is came with and BB Link has found the device... it just wont connect to it (Again this is the Classic)

At this point if i could just load the back up on the Classic and switch the SIM and SD cards i would do that and return the Priv...

Even if i get far enough to load the recent back up on this new Classic, will i then be able to use the content transfer app to get done what i wan t to get done?
    11-14-15 10:01 PM
    Can you clarify a bit more about what you mean when you say "Link will not connect to the device even though [...] Link has found the device"?

What do you mean by it found it but won't connect? Any messages? Is it prompting for a password? Does your new Classic have any password?
    11-14-15 10:47 PM
    i had to uninstall BB10 desktop software and re-download it.

i now have the classic being restored to the lastest BB10 back up that i had.... on to the content transfer app next.

is there a way i can ensure that the contacts port over? i see some people having issues with that. i literally just bought the second device because the $500 is cheaper than manually restoring hundreds of contacts / data points
    11-14-15 11:19 PM
    Sorry, I don't have a Priv yet to know first-hand... But from what I've read it will let you choose what to port over. And I can only assume that if for some reason it didn't work the first time, there should be no reason why you couldn't run it again... right?

Normally for contacts, if your contacts are synced to an email account like Gmail then you wouldn't need to even transfer them over. They'd just be synced as soon as you add the email account to your phone.

Only thing I don't know how to do is to get a bunch of contacts that you already have to start syncing to Gmail if they aren't already synced.
    11-15-15 10:09 AM
    i got it.... it is true though that with a bricked phone you couldnt get all of your old content. i had to load the most recent back up onto a new BB10 device then set up a gmail account then use the content transfer app on old device then import it from the Priv
    11-15-15 07:42 PM