Thinking more and more about buying the Priv. How does everyone find it on the latest OS? Still have the heating up issues with it? How is battery life? How are the timely, monthly updates that was said about this device getting?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10
    09-30-16 02:53 PM
    Best option for updates is to buy one of the unlocked phones.... from Amazon or shopblackberry. And stay away from the carrier clearanced phones.

Updates are still the first of each month for the monthly security patches... major updates are slow, and upto BlackBerry's commitment.

I think some still have the heating and battery issues... think they always will if the are using a graphic intensive app like a game or map. Otherwise I think MM helped a lot for most.
    09-30-16 03:06 PM
    I was thinking getting one either from Staples.ca or from BlackBerry directly...thanks for your input!

09-30-16 03:25 PM
    Just bought my unlocked one from bestbuy.ca - price matched with shopbb and got it for $525 - pretty good deal if you ask me.

Can't wait to get it.
    09-30-16 08:26 PM
    It's a pretty mature device and software solution now. Still a few annoyances.

- cannot find a way to save an item from browser (firefox) to a location I select, it defaults to a folder buried in the Firefox folder.

- cannot find a way to share any cloud-based file from within BBM, you have to share from the cloud app to BBM.

- file system is nuts, apps leave behind random folders after being installed, perhaps there is a cleaning feature I have not found, but navigating the files is somewhat tiresome. Oh, and if you want a decent file manager, you will pay.

- many apps save their content to the internal memory by default.

- the tasks app does not recognize flagged email as a possible follow-up item.

That's all for now.

I would say go for it, there is likely to be a sale coming up soon. Or if you don't need a PKB, try the DTEK60 perhaps.

-

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 08:44 PM
    It's a pretty mature device and software solution now. Still a few annoyances.

- cannot find a way to save an item from browser (firefox) to a location I select, it defaults to a folder buried in the Firefox folder.

- cannot find a way to share any cloud-based file from within BBM, you have to share from the cloud app to BBM.

- file system is nuts, apps leave behind random folders after being installed, perhaps there is a cleaning feature I have not found, but navigating the files is somewhat tiresome. Oh, and if you want a decent file manager, you will pay.

- many apps save their content to the internal memory by default.

- the tasks app does not recognize flagged email as a possible follow-up item.

That's all for now.

I would say go for it, there is likely to be a sale coming up soon. Or if you don't need a PKB, try the DTEK60 perhaps.

-

So are you saying there's no stock file manager in a BlackBerry Priv ?

09-30-16 10:37 PM
    No, typical basic android experience, there's an app for most features we had as baked in native on BB OSs. I've had good experience with Asus file manager and Solid Explorer

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    newcollector likes this.
    09-30-16 11:45 PM
    No, typical basic android experience, there's an app for most features we had as baked in native on BB OSs. I've had good experience with Asus file manager and Solid Explorer

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    I thought every Android device has a file manager icon , like the Z10, for example ?

10-01-16 08:34 AM
    The Z10 isn't an android device....

I see a lot of people get the Asus file manager, seems to be one of the most popular.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 08:37 AM
    I use solid explorer and it works fine. I'm not one that typically needs a file manager often though. Might be better ones out there

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    10-01-16 08:52 AM
    I know the Z10 isn't an Android device. Why would you point that out, lol ?

So, I take it with the responses, there is no on board file manager = dumb.
    10-01-16 09:01 AM
    Just bought my unlocked one from bestbuy.ca - price matched with shopbb and got it for $525 - pretty good deal if you ask me.

Can't wait to get it.
    How'd you get a pricematch when it's online only orders? You call in?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    10-01-16 09:14 AM
    I think if I get another BlackBerry, it will be another BB10 device...

bigjman likes this.
    10-01-16 09:41 AM
    I know the Z10 isn't an Android device. Why would you point that out, lol ?

So, I take it with the responses, there is no on board file manager = dumb.
    Actually, from what I've read, there is an anemic File Manager added to the Marshmallow release. But it is buried in the Settings, Storage or SD-card area of Settings. I'm not sure if there might be a shortcut to it from the App Drawer, Shortcuts option. I don't have MM!!
    10-01-16 10:10 AM
    How'd you get a pricematch when it's online only orders? You call in?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    They price match any competitor who has the same product. They also give you 10 percent of the difference in cost back from the reduced price as well.

So 899-559 is 340.
    10 percent of 340 is 34.
    559-34 = 525.

As long as you can show them that it's shipping to Canada, they'll price match anyone, either if it's an in store deal or even online only. You can call it in and after you order (they charge you the full amount) they will also credit you back the difference. I got my desktop price matched with Amazon (ASUS was selling the product but it was being shipped and sold by Amazon).
    Spinal likes this.
    10-01-16 07:33 PM
    Actually, from what I've read, there is an anemic File Manager added to the Marshmallow release. But it is buried in the Settings, Storage or SD-card area of Settings. I'm not sure if there might be a shortcut to it from the App Drawer, Shortcuts option. I don't have MM!!
    Can someone provide a photo to confirm what and where this file manager button/tablet looks like on a Priv?

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S7
    10-01-16 07:46 PM
    So Best Buy was a no go, they said they won't match the prices of an OEM so I promptly canceled that order and ordered from Shop BlackBerry. The 37 dollars in savings is not worth the escalation and hassle
    andy957 likes this.
    10-01-16 11:10 PM
    I highly recommend. Be sure to share your thoughts once you get it.

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    10-01-16 11:26 PM
    Yes, I am frustrated there aren't some features, like a file manager straight out of the box. Like others, I have had success with the ASUS file manager. In fact, I enjoy quite a bit of their software. I enjoy BlackBerry software much more, but such is life.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 02:39 AM
    Still debating getting one...or a Passport.

10-02-16 07:50 AM
    Even carrier issued phones are not bad. I'm with Telus and the updates come every month during the first week so it's not that late really.

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    10-02-16 08:36 AM
    Still debating getting one...or a Passport.

My limited comment is that while you are getting really nice tech in the Passport, you are really limited in apps which may or may not be critical to what you do or use.
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    10-02-16 08:49 AM
    I'm thinking of getting a Priv as well and if anyone is seriously considering one, PLEASE shop around. I'm easily finding them for the $300 - $400 range (U.S.) on Amazon and other sites. Even Blackberry is selling them direct for $425 U.S. right now, so there is really no reason to overpay for these things. Ebay is full of them as well. I can find used ones for under $300 as well on various sites.

Retailers seem to more or less abandoned these at this point. I drove all over town a few days ago trying to see if I could find one again. T-Mobile, who not two months ago had them available in all of their stores, has pulled them all to be sent back to the factory (or whomever). The only store that still had some in the back refused to sell them (weren't allowed per company policy). AT&T was the only store I could find that still had one out for demo, but if you wanted to buy one, they had to be special ordered and they are still trying to get something like $699 for them which is just crazy since you can buy direct from Blackberry for that. Of course every store that I went into said nobody bought them anyway.

So the best option right now is obviously to buy online and seriously, shop around. The price fluctuates on these things on a weekly basis and I check them all the time. One week they will be $450 - $600 on Amazon and the next week they are $350 - $425 or so. Every so often I'll see a blow out for $299 on one site or another, but I usually find it too late. Newegg is also a decent site. For now, I'm putting myself in a holding pattern because I expect the prices to continue to drop with the announcement that they aren't doing phones anymore (for all intents and purposes). I was also considering a Passport, but since it's also not being supported anymore, I'm probably going to pass.
    10-02-16 11:15 AM
    Even carrier issued phones are not bad. I'm with Telus and the updates come every month during the first week so it's not that late really.

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    That's because it's a Canadian carrier. They seem to be pretty good at pushing out updates (excluding Rogers on occasion). I've found the same on my BlackBerry 10 devices as well as my G4, I tend to get updates pretty quickly too and I'm on Bell.
    10-02-16 03:11 PM
    I'm thinking of getting a Priv as well and if anyone is seriously considering one, PLEASE shop around. I'm easily finding them for the $300 - $400 range (U.S.) on Amazon and other sites. Even Blackberry is selling them direct for $425 U.S. right now, so there is really no reason to overpay for these things. Ebay is full of them as well. I can find used ones for under $300 as well on various sites.

Retailers seem to more or less abandoned these at this point. I drove all over town a few days ago trying to see if I could find one again. T-Mobile, who not two months ago had them available in all of their stores, has pulled them all to be sent back to the factory (or whomever). The only store that still had some in the back refused to sell them (weren't allowed per company policy). AT&T was the only store I could find that still had one out for demo, but if you wanted to buy one, they had to be special ordered and they are still trying to get something like $699 for them which is just crazy since you can buy direct from Blackberry for that. Of course every store that I went into said nobody bought them anyway.

So the best option right now is obviously to buy online and seriously, shop around. The price fluctuates on these things on a weekly basis and I check them all the time. One week they will be $450 - $600 on Amazon and the next week they are $350 - $425 or so. Every so often I'll see a blow out for $299 on one site or another, but I usually find it too late. Newegg is also a decent site. For now, I'm putting myself in a holding pattern because I expect the prices to continue to drop with the announcement that they aren't doing phones anymore (for all intents and purposes). I was also considering a Passport, but since it's also not being supported anymore, I'm probably going to pass.
    Quite honestly unless you absolutely NEED a vital feature that BB10 and ONLY BB10 can provide, I would definitely suggest still going for the Priv over the Passport. Hardware wise the Passport is still well endowed, it's just that software will make or break the experience. I've been using BB10 devices even before they were on the market, owned the BlackBerry Colt (respect to anyone who still remembers the Colt ), and still routinely use BB10 devices (Currently using a Z10 actually) I definitely will say that the software has been on the decline. There was a lot of hope in 2014 when more native apps came into the BlackBerry World storefront and the devices were being better supported. Software bugs were being ironed out and overall the experience was pretty good.

Unfortunately that is when it all peaked, at least in my opinion. Later on, BlackBerry World essentially became a hub of abandon ware. Many developers stopped updating their apps (there are still some awesome developers who keep their apps up to date for BB10 and I definitely do appreciate the work that they have put in their apps and as an end user it's good to know that you have that support) and there wasn't many new applications being pushed out.

BlackBerry 10 is another story of "what could have been" from our boys in black at RIM. Just like the PlayBook, it's a similar narrative. They've essentially been given quite a few chances to turn the ship around, their best bet of steering clear of the iceberg is their lineup of Android powered BlackBerry devices.
    10-02-16 03:19 PM
40 12