Just a question about this, What's the significance of the different colours for the alphabets in the phonebook?
    More importantly, is there a way to shut it off and not have the initials/alphabets displaying next to the contact name?

Prefer a Non-app solution, if possible.

Thank you.
    01-19-16 02:57 AM
    You're probably sick of hearing from me.
    But, the different colors don't mean anything. That's just for show. Instead of using the same ugly silhouette for every contact you have no photo for, it uses their initials and a random color. Their way of spicing it up a tad.

Currently, no way to turn that off, unless you add a photo to that contact. (Check the other thread for my update on a potential solution to your issue with that).

You don't want an app solution, but, yes, you can forego the stock Contacts app altogether and simply install one from the Play Store which doesn't do that and looks less colorful to you (if that's what's bothering you). Sorry
    L o r d R a j likes this.
    01-19-16 10:43 AM
    But, the different colors don't mean anything. That's just for show. Instead of using the same ugly silhouette for every contact you have no photo for, it uses their initials and a random color. Their way of spicing it up a tad.

Currently, no way to turn that off, unless you add a photo to that contact. (Check the other thread for my update on a potential solution to your issue with that).

You don't want an app solution, but, yes, you can forego the stock Contacts app altogether and simply install one from the Play Store which doesn't do that and looks less colorful to you (if that's what's bothering you). Sorry
    So either set up a pic for every contact.... or install another contacts app. Hmmm... All this for something that - DOES NOTHING? They put in extra bits of code (which does nothing) and didn't even bother to give you the option to turn it off? Well that's CUSTOMISATION for you.

Sigh...

Thanks mate. Guess I will just put up with it (for now). Will take me a while to be ok with third-party apps. Not happy about third party apps in general. Don't want to put-up with ads and pop-ups. And definitely don't want to PAY for something as basic as a phonebook. That's the thin end of the wedge!

And yes... the COLOURFUL-ness IS bothering me. Lacks consistency, looks childish (always had that problem with Android). Even the Play Store... The green header and all that is an eye-sore / amateurish (in my view... which obviously isn't saying much).

Thanks Jonneh... Appreciate it.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 01-19-16 at 10:09 PM.
    01-19-16 07:31 PM
    No problem man. Back in the Ice Cream Sandwich days, Android had a really cool dark UI with skyblue accents (called Holo design language). It was nice. Some people hated it, though.
    Contacts App / Module - Different Coloured Alphabets-ics-dialer.jpg

My point is, no matter what the OS looks like, there will always be people who hate it and people who like it.
    It makes sense for a BlackBerry fan to not like the colorfulness of where Google's gone lately with their new Material design language (rather than Holo). It's colorful, lots of circles, and can be a little childish-looking from time to time.

The crazy thing with Android is, even when stock Android from google looked like Holo design for ICS, other manufacturer's phones like Samsung Galaxy S-II or III or whatever, and LG's phones, HTC's phones--none of them looked like Holo design at all. Every manufacturer changes the stock apps like dialers, calendars, galleries, file managers, contacts app, etc. So it's really just a mixed bag of what you'll get; users have to watch reviews and mess around with the devices at stores. One of the famous "skins" to hate on is Samsung's Touchwiz, although that's improved by leaps and bounds these days.

The solution you don't want to hear is to simply throw away the stock contacts app. Because you're not liking it. No biggie; just grab one you like more. But, I understand that that's getting tiring for you, and just want something you like that works. In that regard, a different OS might be what you're subconsciously yearning for, haha. But, again, all of that is up to you.
    01-19-16 07:58 PM
    Yes Jonneh, I am very comfortable with BB10. I find it simple, elegant and efficient (I didn't like it as much when it was first out on the Q10, but they fixed a few things over time, and I got used to some things over time). Which is why I am still using my BB Classic as a primary and waiting for updates to the Hub on the Priv (it is UN-usable in it's present state (for me) ).

Absence of a global DARK them on the devices is an issue... but for the Priv, I can't even find options within the apps/modules to switch to a dark theme.

Third Party apps - Mate, it's a pain. On top of that, I have serious trust issues (I have NEVER installed TruCaller (sp). Whenever I want to use it, I log on from the web and sign in with a google account that has NO contacts saved at all). Paranoid, yes, but that's just how I am.

Plus.. App hunting / Shopping isn't something I enjoy doing. That coupled with my issues of installing third party apps by some developer / company based solely on the ratings or the stars... OUCH!

It's not as if Google or Apple or BB don't engage in Data-Mining or the likes. It's just... I think I have made my peace with that bit. Perhaps in some time, I will make my peace with third party app developers as well. Who knows.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 01-19-16 at 10:08 PM.
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-19-16 09:42 PM