Hi forum.

I was wondering if this is possible. I want to purchase another PRIV and was wondering if I am able to easily clone my current device?

How hard/easy is it to mirror everything I have (including app layout) from my current device to my new one?

Will all my Bluetooth paired items as well as WiFi connections be working on the new device?

Will all my banking apps and passwords be transferred over and functional?

What about my BlackBerry password app contents?

Lastly, what app do I use to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 likes this.
    09-26-16 02:00 AM
    Can't you just do a restore during device setup? When you put in user name it will give you an option to start new device or restore (gives date of last backup which is automatic)

Unsure about password within banking apps but the password keeper should transfer across.

bluesqueen23 and FF22 like this.
    09-26-16 02:38 AM
    Thanks, wondering if someone who is done this could come in and provide me with the results of their restore

09-26-16 11:27 AM
    I did what you are talking about. Bought an unlocked Priv from BB to get past all of the AT&T update issues.

Learned the hard way after doing a factory reset previously... if you use password manager, backup your current entries to a sd card or copy to your pc. They do not get backed up.

Use an app like SMS backup and restore to backup all of mms / sms messages and call logs, if you want those.

I never could get the Setup Nearby Device option to work, but had good experience with the NFC Tap and Go method of transferring content, once I got that to work. It's not a mirror, though; you still have work to do. Good news is that you still have the old phone to go back and check out configurations, etc.

I did have to do a lot of resetting icons, settings, etc., in a number of the applications. You will have to re-pair bluetooth, for example, recreate alarms, set notifications.

If you are going from a carrier phone to a factory unlocked, consider disabling the carrier bloatware apps on the old phone and they won't be transferred to the new.

I actually did a couple of factory resets during the process when things didn't go the way I wanted. The actual transfer did take quite some time. I'll pass on advice given to me - make sure both devices are fully charged or have them both on a charger during the process.

I used this as a way to get rid of apps I didn't use, like the free versions of apps I purchased. I'm glad I didn't get a mirror... I like this one better!

Good luck!
    FF22 likes this.
    09-27-16 03:06 AM
    If you had a phone with a custom recovery, you could probably do a Nandroid backup of your entire phone (i.e. system, data partitions) and transfer it to the new one.
    If you had a rooted phone, you could use Titanium to backup all apps, including system ones, and restore that on the other phone.

That's definitely a case when it would be great to have a rootable phone. I don't understand why didn't Google make that possible at some point as those tools exist for about as long as Android itself exists.
    09-27-16 03:18 AM
    Thanks everyone for you're responses.

Interested in the comment above about a custom recovery. How does one go about that?

Is this an APP based solution?

My phone was purchased direct from BlackBerry so it's already unlocked. I just want another as a usable backup I can pick out of the safe and go.

09-27-16 11:43 AM
    Thanks everyone for you're responses.

Interested in the comment above about a custom recovery. How does one go about that?

Is this an APP based solution?

My phone was purchased direct from BlackBerry so it's already unlocked. I just want another as a usable backup I can pick out of the safe and go.

Here's some info about what a recovery is: What is a Custom Recovery on Android, and Why Would I Want One?

It's not just an app and you can't use that on Priv because its bootloader can't be unlocked, same as it can't be rooted.

But the end of that article has this interesting link: How To Create a Full Android Phone or Tablet Backup Without Rooting or Unlocking Your Device

I didn't know that was possible; it might help you, but you'll have to research is it possible to restore that kind of backup to another device.
    09-27-16 12:15 PM