That's helpful, F2. On two fronts.

The info on the tylt is helpful.

Also, I'm new to wireless charging and I didn't know a case would cause problems.

Hahaha to be honest my real conclusion is to stick with a plain old micro USB. Yikes.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-19-16 08:43 AM
    That's helpful, F2. On two fronts.

The info on the tylt is helpful.

Also, I'm new to wireless charging and I didn't know a case would cause problems.

Hahaha to be honest my real conclusion is to stick with a plain old micro USB. Yikes.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    Well, I would not go that far although I did go far - Portugal and after trying to use wireless charging with a finicky Samsung disk - and used usb cable for three weeks.

But seriously, wireless charging takes a lot of stress off the usb port and they still can be a weak link. Clearly, the Z30 from Verizon really spoiled me. Not only did it have wireless charging but BB10 allowed wifi-sharing. The Z30's two drives showed up on Windows Explorer just like any other drive. I could copy/move/delete files to/from the Z30 without ever attaching a cable. No stress file management.

A few folks with cases with metal "legs" that allow the case/phone to stand have found some interference with wireless chargers. But I think the main issue is the placement of the receiver/antenna in the Priv. It seems to be off-center or bottom weighted so that placement might not be as simple as dropping the Priv centered on the charger.

But I would not give it up - wireless charging.

And one more thing which I mentioned in this/another thread?? - the Priv supports both the Qi and Power Mat standards. But there's been almost no discussion of the Power Mat options.
    07-19-16 09:33 AM
    I read about Powermat versus Qi. It seems that Powermat is losing the popularity contest. I don't care which. I just like the idea of putting my phone on a spot to charge when I sit down down at my desk and grab it to go, without wires everywhere. It would really be nice.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-19-16 12:54 PM
    I will clarify...

Cut to yesterday. I had not thrown the Priv on the Tylt in ages. So I tried it again and it worked in the raised position but removing the spacer, it continued to work.

Bottom line: The Tylt seems to have worked normally with the Priv in the case I currently use.
    Um, I need to ask you to please "clarify" your clarification.

You said you had to raise it when using a case (not sure which case or cases). When you tried it again lately, was it cased? Which case? Did it work without raising it? Have you ever tried it uncased? (Or with a thinner shell-type case like the popular Seidio Surface?)

Thanks! Inquiring minds want to know.
    07-21-16 02:51 PM

You said you had to raise it when using a case (not sure which case or cases). When you tried it again lately, was it cased? Which case? Did it work without raising it? Have you ever tried it uncased? (Or with a thinner shell-type case like the popular Seidio Surface?)

You are asking to much!

I have the Stilgut case on it. I have just thrown it on my second Tylt Vu. It is at 68%.

It says about an hour and half to full. 88F temp.

The other day when I tried it, I sensed the Priv was hot but did not check.

So, let's see what happens as I go out and rake leaves and leave (no pun intended) charging.

I shall report back.
    07-21-16 03:15 PM

Temp 94F, charge 72% and 1:13 to full.

I should add, no spacer and case is ON.
    07-21-16 03:23 PM

Now 102F, 86% and 37 to full.
    07-21-16 04:03 PM

Now 102F, 86% and 37 to full.
    Okay, now that's "too much" information.

Seriously, though, thank you.

So, this clarifies the key question I had (and I assume others have or will have). It seems the Tylt VU is working for your PRIV with no spacer, even with a case. Is that correct?

(I have the Seidio Surface case and from what I've seen the Stilgut is top quality and probably as thick as the Seidio Surface if not a bit thicker.)
    07-21-16 04:38 PM
    Tylt Vu working withOUT spacer and with the Stilgut case on.
    07-21-16 04:53 PM
    This is getting suspect. Has anyone gotten one to charge the priv?
    I just got this wireless charger and it is great with my Priv. I can leave it in my OEM leather case and it charges, but most often I take the case off so I can still check the phone easily. I selected the Compatible Model: Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge. Ordered on the 19th and it arrived on the 25th. I like the more upright orientation of this charger.
    07-26-16 11:21 AM
    Mine is still working great... my only "mod" is that I stuck black electrical tape over the LED; it's too damn bright on my nightstand and blue besides.

Any blue spectrum light is very bad for deep sleep so on the nightstand IMHO it had to be blacked out entirely, not just muted with a sharpie (which does work, by the way.) I wish the manufacturers of these things would cut that blue LED crap out; a dim RED led would be ok on a nightstand, but not a blindingly-bright -- or blue -- one.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-16 12:02 PM
    BTW you can materially improve the charge position-insensitivity of this unit, and easily.

Remove the four screws in the back and pry off the two REAR rubber feet; there are two screws under there too. Remove those six and the entire face of the unit comes off.

Inside you'll find the circuitry (in the bottom) and the coils (in the face.) CAREFULLY pry loose the backing plastic that the coils are mounted to (NOT the coils themselves!) and clip the bottom of the plastic plate so it can be re-stuck about 3/8" lower in the case -- in other words, clip the margin of the backing plastic so it is very close to the bottom of the lower coil. Stick it back in (it's held in the case with sticky tape in the first place, make sure the wires are routed safely away from the screw passageways (there are slots for doing so), and put it back together.

The Priv's coil is low in the phone and this will make the charger materially less-sensitive as to where on the charger you place the phone.

I did this to mine today after getting curious as to whether I could improve what is already decent performance, and it made quite a difference, especially if you have a case on the Priv (as I do)
    07-26-16 04:10 PM
    BTW you can materially improve the charge position-insensitivity of this unit, and easily.

Remove the four screws in the back and pry off the two REAR rubber feet; there are two screws under there too. Remove those six and the entire face of the unit comes off.

Inside you'll find the circuitry (in the bottom) and the coils (in the face.) CAREFULLY pry loose the backing plastic that the coils are mounted to (NOT the coils themselves!) and clip the bottom of the plastic plate so it can be re-stuck about 3/8" lower in the case -- in other words, clip the margin of the backing plastic so it is very close to the bottom of the lower coil. Stick it back in (it's held in the case with sticky tape in the first place, make sure the wires are routed safely away from the screw passageways (there are slots for doing so), and put it back together.

The Priv's coil is low in the phone and this will make the charger materially less-sensitive as to where on the charger you place the phone.

I did this to mine today after getting curious as to whether I could improve what is already decent performance, and it made quite a difference, especially if you have a case on the Priv (as I do)
    This is darned interesting. Any chance it would be realistic for you to disassemble it again, take a picture, add a red arrow or two for where to clip it exactly, and post that for us?

I assume it will be obvious anyway once the unit is opened, but I'd hate to make a mistake.

Thanks so much!
    07-26-16 04:19 PM

I'm lazy. Which charger are you talking about?
    07-26-16 06:39 PM
    The one in my original post. I DID start this thread with a recommended wireless charger...

I'll take a picture when I get home this evening. It's a 5 minute and simple mod and yes, it's obvious once you open it up.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-26-16 06:44 PM
    I'm lazy. Which charger are you talking about?
    OMG! What a remarkably valid question -- which I totally never even thought to ask... and probably should have. I was ready to take my unit apart and start surgery on it.

Oh. Em. Gee.
    07-26-16 06:44 PM
    Well, it looks as if the Tylt could also be disassembled but I'm not in the mood right now!
    07-26-16 07:53 PM
    OK, so here's the deal.

When you remove the screws, this is what you have inside (this applies to the charger in my original post link on eBay; there's at least one on Amazon that appears to be the same model.)

This is what it looks like when you've got the screws out and have separated the pieces, and what it looks like, top and bottom, when you're done. Cheap wireless nightstand charger-done-mod.png

Takes about 5 minutes to do and is definitely worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Cheap wireless nightstand charger-2016-07-26-21.40.04.jpg   Cheap wireless nightstand charger-2016-07-26-21.41.14.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-16 09:54 PM
93 ... 234