View Poll Results: Do you think I am mostly right or mostly wrong? (Please elaborate by replying if you think I'm wrong

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mostly Right

4 33.33%
  • Mostly Wrong

8 66.67%
    Here's my general consensus for that statement:

John Chen is completely incompetent, hasn't saved the company and is totally stubborn by not switching to Android, allowing users to install apk's was a half-arsed solution as there was still little reason why we shouldn't just buy an Android phone.

Touch screens have more in common with computer keyboards, blackberry keyboards require a physical press, computer keyboards require a tap just like a smartphone.

Nobody wants to make the effort to switch to a physical keyboard.

I got a few friends to test how fast they could type on a blackberry compared to a touch screen, the touch screen was significantly faster, also the blackberry was no way near as fast as a computer keyboard which is why people like blackberry's

The slider will be incredibly expensive just like the passport, the useless/slower physical keyboard will not be worth the price and seeing that it's useless the blackberry slider can only be a fad, people will realise it's slower and then not repeat purchase, so will only recover blackberry in short term.

Physical keyboard will be incredibly uncomfortable to type on with a 5.5" slider, very top heavy.

Let me know if you think I'm wrong! Or if you agree!
    09-18-15 03:18 PM
    bump
    09-20-15 06:59 AM
    You do know the slider will have virtual keyboard also, right? It's a high-end flagship device, obviously It'll be expensive just like other high-end flagship devices from other manufacturers. Are you expecting it to be a 200 dollars device?
    LOL

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 07:20 AM
    Well I believe from the recent leaked hands-on video, it said ' it is not top heavy or bottom heavy, it is just comfortable'

~gly~
    09-20-15 07:26 AM
    This thing was bumped once... I won't bite. We have plenty of threads discussing all these points.
    09-20-15 07:32 AM
    I've got this thing going on with Chen ever since he said some people are not suited for a job in a turn around scenario, so he had to let them go,very gracious to all the people he brought over from SAP,but doesn't carry over very well for a CEO ,he said acquisition will help the bottom line but can we believe that ? or will they burn half their cash on his latest strategy,I think this Slider is going to be the worst built BB Phone ever,just to cut costs,lol
    09-20-15 07:35 AM
    Maybe your friends that only tried typing on the physical keyboard were slower because they were used to typing on a touch screen.

No one is arguing that the raw speed is greater on a touch screen keyboard. After all, you don't have to press down on the buttons. However the precision with which you type will certainly be greater on a physical keyboard. In other words, there will be less mistakes that need to be corrected.

Of course we also live in a day and age in which people seem to be ok just blurting out whatever their fingers managed to squash, and whatever moronic phrase the autocorrect managed to trample on. For those,.. a physical keyboard is a waste of time, but so is whatever they are saying.

I know people seem to overplay the love of BlackBerry keyboards by lawyers and professionals, but I can assure you that once your regular communications require more complex (or worse, specialized terms that aren't actually dictionary words), you realllly learn to despise the damn touch screen keyboards. I know that some will say 'yeah, but it will learn them',.. ok, but that meant you had to correct each of them at least once.

So anyway,.. if you think the physical keyboard is a gimmick then you're probably OK with using a virtual keyboard. The good part is the Slider will also have one of those!

Posted via CB10
    muindor likes this.
    09-20-15 07:37 AM
    This entire thing sounds like a troll post, but I'll bite:

Here's my general consensus for that statement:

John Chen is completely incompetent, hasn't saved the company and is totally stubborn by not switching to Android, allowing users to install apk's was a half-arsed solution as there was still little reason why we shouldn't just buy an Android phone.
    Switching to Android isn't an overnight thing, and based on the leaks now that's precisely what BlackBerry is doing right now. And installing APKs via a "half-arsed" method was never official, their official channel is BlackBerry World and Amazon Appstore.

Touch screens have more in common with computer keyboards, blackberry keyboards require a physical press, computer keyboards require a tap just like a smartphone.

Nobody wants to make the effort to switch to a physical keyboard.

I got a few friends to test how fast they could type on a blackberry compared to a touch screen, the touch screen was significantly faster, also the blackberry was no way near as fast as a computer keyboard which is why people like blackberry's
    You have no fracking idea what you are talking about. There have been ALOT of discussion about some Android users waiting for such a device with a PKB. People are FORCED onto touch screen keyboards because there have not been a single flagship device running OS outside of BlackBerry 10 and webOS that has sufficient performance. The last Android phone to be sold with a PKB was the T-Mobile LG F3Q, which has specs of a Galaxy S3 from 2012.

And "touch screens have more in common with computer keyboards"? Give me a break. You sound like a 5 year old who grew up with iPads if you think keyboards are tapped like screens. I'll keep my mechanical Cherry MX Brown TACTILE keyboard where I can feel the mechanical presses, thank you very much.

The slider will be incredibly expensive just like the passport, the useless/slower physical keyboard will not be worth the price and seeing that it's useless the blackberry slider can only be a fad, people will realise it's slower and then not repeat purchase, so will only recover blackberry in short term.
    Nobody knows the price yet. And you're repeating that same BS about "physical keyboards slower".

Physical keyboard will be incredibly uncomfortable to type on with a 5.5" slider, very top heavy.
    There have never been a 5.5" slider on the market so how would ANYONE know? Well except for Baka Mobile as they have handled the Venice, and they clearly said there are no "top-heavy" balancing issues. Also if you look at the video, it does not extend more than an inch and half at most, which makes it still center-weighted based on proportions shown. Older days sliders were "top-heavy" because the motherboard was on the top half. I know this because I took apart my Palm Pres many times.

Let me know if you think I'm wrong! Or if you agree!
    See my first line.
    09-20-15 07:37 AM
    I do love a troll :-)
    astrodan13 and ayngling like this.
    09-20-15 07:44 AM
    I think you are wrong. I think it will be the best selling phone BB has launched since they released BB10. It will outsell every phone they've made from the Z10 on, probably combined.
    ayngling, JeepBB and nonamenomore like this.
    09-20-15 07:51 AM
    I think you're right. Anyone concerned about privacy will avoid Google's Android like the plague.

Richard
    09-28-15 07:51 AM
    I think you're right. Anyone concerned about privacy will avoid Google's Android like the plague.

Richard
    Count me in I'm definitely keeping away from it,
    It's contagious I can never put my trust in Android operating system I don't care what JC says
    Android wasn't built on privacy and security it will never be secure os....Hello danger danger

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 08:26 AM
    When OP said that touch screens have more in common with a computer keyboard than a physical qwerty does, that pretty much invalidates his entire post
    09-28-15 08:33 AM

Richard
    From my observation, it's BB10 handsets that are being avoided like the plague. Only 800,000 sold last quarter... and KEEPS DROPPING EVERY QUARTER.

Posted from an ME173X
    09-28-15 08:44 AM
    I think you are wrong. I think it will be the best selling phone BB has launched since they released BB10. It will outsell every phone they've made from the Z10 on, probably combined.
    I tend to agree that the Priv should be a success when judged against the low-bar set by BB10 devices.

I reckon there are enough fans of the slider format, and the legendary BB PKB, to make it a sales hit by BB10 standards... Which will be enough for Chen I'm sure.

The danger is that BB will once again shoot themselves in the foot by pricing the Priv head-to-head with Samsung Edge and iPhone 6s. In which case, only BB diehards will buy it... and there aren't enough of those left or BB10 devices would still be the plan.

I have to be honest and say that the suicidal pricing of the Priv seems most likely to me, but I'd like to see the Priv do well, despite BB's natural inclination to blow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-28-15 08:59 AM
    Hello,

What I think is that the physical keyboard isn't likely to be a deciding factor for most potential customers. I think most people are well accustomed to using a Virtual keyboard on their phones and tablets, and the only people willing to make any sort of trade-off to have a physical keyboard have already done it--that is a tiny number of consumers.

A significantly larger number of consumers might be perfectly happy to have a PKB, or even slightly prefer it. But the question is, then how much of a draw is this physical keyboard? How much cost will it be, and will consumers be willing to tolerate? I'd say not much.

I'm currently A passport user, which works fine for me--so did my Z10 VKB, and I can use either just fine.

So, if BlackBerry is betting on the PKB being a major selling point...I predict they will be disappointed. That argument has fallen on deaf ears for years now with 99.7% of the consumers, and it isn't likely to change or make much of a difference. Why? People have already made that choice, and have at least tolerated it.

KAM
    09-28-15 08:59 AM
    Blackberry Priv will be $350. Very accessible, I'm sold and will be getting for myself and my betty.

10.3.2.2639 STA100-2 | Step-by-step
    09-28-15 09:07 AM
    I tend to agree that the Priv should be a success when judged against the low-bar set by BB10 devices.

I reckon there are enough fans of the slider format, and the legendary BB PKB, to make it a sales hit by BB10 standards... Which will be enough for Chen I'm sure.

The danger is that BB will once again shoot themselves in the foot by pricing the Priv head-to-head with Samsung Edge and iPhone 6s. In which case, only BB diehards will buy it... and there aren't enough of those left or BB10 devices would still be the plan.

I have to be honest and say that the suicidal pricing of the Priv seems most likely to me, but I'd like to see the Priv do well, despite BB's natural inclination to blow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you're anywhere close to correct about only BB diehards buying it (due to PRICE), then that's even optimistic, because there are some BB Diehards who want nothing to do with Android. In that case, this would be the most monumental flop BB has ever had.

I'm not saying it will be, and those who say this might actually be a BETTER seller than other recent phones (aka, flops), but again, the bar is so incredibly low, that calling that an accomplishment could be a stretch.

In order to "Save" a company (at least the handset part of it) and with the weight that people place on Ecosystem (while ignoring or diminishing the other problems BB has and isn't addressing), then this "only solution" play had better produce MAJOR results. Major as compared to competitors, not its own pathetic performance.

Because the mindset is that it is all Ecosystem as THE major factor, and that all the eggs have been put into that basket, and if that is "fixed" then according to that mindset, this should be a major success.

Of course, I don't share that mindset. I think Ecosystem is the "easy" solution (by switching to Android) and placing all hope on that requires a huge spoonful of denial/wishful thinking. BUT, like I said--a significant uptick vs competitors would prove them right. Maybe something like overtaking Windows phone as a starting point. That would be a massive accomplishment I think.

KAM
    09-28-15 09:10 AM
    09-28-15 09:39 AM
    Change my view: I think the Blackberry Slider will flop-img_20150928_163458.png

09-28-15 09:39 AM
    If these prices are true or at least somewhat close, they make a lot of sense as Chen has said b4 that he is not trying to compete with any brand, his main goal is as it should be getting BlackBerry hardware back to profitability. I will be getting the Priv and if at this price put me in for 2

09-28-15 10:14 AM