Is there any real reason for the enormous camera bump on the Priv? Seems to me that the Xperia Z5, iPhone 6/6s, and Galaxy S6 have the best camera packages on the market, yet have the most understated physical implementations--the Z5 and 6s especially. They're just tucked away out of sight out of mind.

Is this just jewelry on the Priv? I feel like people respond more to performance and understated design than peacocking these days. Oh well. The Vienna looks to take the silliness down a notch at least.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 02:49 PM
    My G4 has one of the best cameras on a smartphone and mine has a very small bump. But my phone is curved so the camera will never touch a surface.
    11-13-15 05:05 PM
    Is there any real reason for the enormous camera bump on the Priv? Seems to me that the Xperia Z5, iPhone 6/6s, and Galaxy S6 have the best camera packages on the market, yet have the most understated physical implementations--the Z5 and 6s especially. They're just tucked away out of sight out of mind.

Is this just jewelry on the Priv? I feel like people respond more to performance and understated design than peacocking these days. Oh well. The Vienna looks to take the silliness down a notch at least.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe something to do with the slider? Not enough room to mount it without the bump?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    geekaren likes this.
    11-13-15 05:20 PM
    Protruding cameras are very common these days. Out of the phones you mentioned, only the Z5 doesn't have one. They're necessary to house components for increasingly better cameras in increasingly thinner phones. I've owned a few phones with them and never had any issues - compared to my Lumia 1020, the Priv's camera is plenty subtle.
    11-13-15 05:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is this small camera bump in your book?
    Camera Bump-samsung-galaxy-s6-test-03-1000x665.jpg
    11-13-15 05:44 PM
    Note that the design of the bezel on the Priv keeps the lens off flat surfaces.

This is very ​good.
    11-13-15 05:48 PM
    The bump is for the lense housing, it is a polished piece of glass that has multi lenses, there are like 7 lenses in this thing to focus your picture to the ccd, check out the picture I attached. This is why expensive cameras have such long lenses to focus the light properly
    Attached Thumbnails Camera Bump-1447467037109.jpg  
    11-13-15 08:11 PM
    i noticed the same thing at first but checked other phones and many of the have the same bump. nothing out of the ordinary.
    11-13-15 08:14 PM
    Why not make the phone thicker to house the hump and more battery?

11-13-15 08:55 PM
    Haha because people would have a hairy fit because a thick phone
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-13-15 08:56 PM
    Besides whats the problem the lense is set in on it to prevent scratches.
    11-13-15 08:57 PM
    Haha because people would have a hairy fit because a thick phone
    True. But would never be able to please everyone. People would comment and/or complain about the bump. No offense to OP

11-13-15 09:03 PM
    Besides whats the problem the lense is set in on it to prevent scratches.
    Make it thicker by another 2mm so that it's recessed hahaha

11-13-15 09:04 PM
    Ever order a pizza for 5 people let alone a million lol, always stuff you wont like
    11-13-15 09:04 PM
    Why does the camera housing have to look so cheesy with that giant silver ring around the lens? I just think it looks stupid. The S6 lens may protrude, but at least it's understated. And the iPhone 6S has one as small as possible, as understated as possible. Then you have BlackBerry looking like idiots with a big honking bit of jewelry on the back.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 10:00 PM
    When you scratch the iPhone's flush front element you're going to be extremely unhappy, and that's much more likely with that design.
    11-13-15 10:23 PM
    When you scratch the iPhone's flush front element you're going to be extremely unhappy, and that's much more likely with that design.
    Fair enough. But does anyone prefer the look of the SE camera jewelry to the more understated Passport OG camera assembly?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 10:28 PM
    Fair enough. But does anyone prefer the look of the SE camera jewelry to the more understated Passport OG camera assembly?

Posted via CB10
    I love the look on both the SE and Priv yet prefer the original Passport aesthetically all in all to the SE. Love the camera designs on both and hey if you got the certification show it off lol.

In all honesty, it's a slider so you have a chunk of the phone that can't house the rear camera and a really thin front for the front camera to get the 2MP which is why BlackBerry upped the micron pixels so even the front camera is much better than the Passport's 2MP camera.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 10:41 PM
    With the hard shell case on, the back becomes flat. It's perfect.
    11-13-15 11:01 PM
    Put a case on it like a flip Case then no more bumps.
    Besides , this 18 mp camera is amazing and will just get better with new release bug fixes. Better than any iPhone 6 that's for sure. IPhone6s camera is now falling behind the time when once a leader.

Posted from my Priv!
    11-13-15 11:02 PM
    With the hard shell case on, the back becomes flat. It's perfect.
    My mom ordered one and I'm going to get a free redemption if I decide to use it. Just not sure if they'll fix it from the reported issue or if I'm going to have to perform surgery on an OEM case.

A shame because my mom loves how it's so minimalistic. I don't see how it could really cause harm, but pictures don't lie. I'll have to re-examine it in a few. Idk...

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 11:45 PM
    Why does the camera housing have to look so cheesy with that giant silver ring around the lens? I just think it looks stupid. The S6 lens may protrude, but at least it's understated. And the iPhone 6S has one as small as possible, as understated as possible. Then you have BlackBerry looking like idiots with a big honking bit of jewelry on the back.

Posted via CB10
    If it really bothers you that much just don't buy this phone - problem solved
    11-14-15 12:52 AM
    Might be a bit extreme lol. The camera dressing looks awesome. The entire device is understated from the hidden keyboard without bezels to the black glass weave. The front is almost all screen. Great device and a little extra detail in fitting the lens and making sure it doesn't get scratched is a + for the designers.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 02:44 AM
    I did buy it. And it really does have a beautiful minimalistic design. But the cheesy camera jewelry stands out like a sore thumb (and I don't mean the way it physically protrudes. BlackBerry did this on the Passport SE too. I know they wanted to alert people to the fact that they had a superb lens in this phone (and it really is a superb lens from my tests), but it's a really ill-informed design flourish compared to the way the rest of the phone was designed--elegantly.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 05:06 AM