I am T-Mobile customer and I had pre ordered two Priv's the day the pre orders where announced and after spending a half hour on the phone with DR yesterday and them not wanting to commit to a ship date, I cancelled both of my pre orders. Well, after severals folks on this forum suggested that I just go to the AT&T store and buy one and stop complaining, well I did just that this morning figuring I could buy one and have it unlocked by BlackBerryCodeSource to use on T-Mobile and guess what???

They WILL NOT sell a NON AT&T customer the Priv even if you are willing to buy it at full retail!!! You have to be an AT&T customer or have an account with them to purchase the phone. So for all you folks telling others to just go and buy one, this is false information. I went to three AT&T corporate stores this morning and they all told me the same thing. No one is going dump their carrier to jump to AT&T for the sake of buying a Priv, Just wanted to put this out there to clear things up.
    John Doe99, lift and StephanieMaks like this.
    11-08-15 12:26 PM
    Same thing happened here in Telus in Canada, they would not sell me the phone even I am a Telus customer. Because my contract is not up yet... really sad, anyway I will wait for the price drop on holiday so I can pick one up for a cheaper price.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-08-15 12:41 PM
    You need to have a friend or family member who has AT&T, give then their phone number and tell them you are buying it as a surprise birthday or Christmas gift.

I've had to do this before, but long ago with Verizon.

southlander and John Doe99 like this.
    11-08-15 12:43 PM
    They WILL NOT sell a NON AT&T customer the Priv even if you are willing to buy it at full retail!!! You have to be an AT&T customer or have an account with them to purchase the phone.
    No offense but this is not something new. There are old threads on here about various carriers refusing to sell various devices at full price to non customers. In fact this is common practice with very new "hot" devices to keep the speculators from gobbling the supply for selling at inflated prices via eBay and in areas where the device is not released.

Not to mention with short supplies they'd want to reserve devices for their customers.
    11-08-15 12:45 PM
    Same thing happened here in Telus in Canada, they would not sell me the phone even I am a Telus customer. Because my contract is not up yet... really sad, anyway I will wait for the price drop on holiday so I can pick one up for a cheaper price.

Really? Even if you want to upgrade one of the phones while your on a plan?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 12:47 PM
    Sorry for your experience. Hopefully the likes of Amazon start selling it soon. That would be a good option for you. Digital River is simply terrible...
    11-08-15 12:48 PM
    I want this phone. Went to a local att store last friday. It was nice to play with the beautuful Priv. I called to cancel my order from digitalriver. The rep at digitalriver said that they no longer deal with blackberry orders and gave me another number to call. It was blackberry somewhere. I was told about my order. They said i cannot cancel because the order has already been processed and ready to deliver in the next 13 days. It does not make sense. In the meantime i have been charged since the day i preordered the first day available. I guess i am going to wait and see. I have a z10, z30 and a passport in good condition...i just want the priv.
    11-08-15 12:55 PM
    If you didn't cancel your pre order you would've gotten your priv after 36 hours without the hassle of going anywhere. that was a Wrong decision man

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 01:07 PM
    If you didn't cancel your pre order you would've gotten your priv after 36 hours without the hassle of going anywhere. that was a Wrong decision man

Posted via CB10
    Yup.
    Bakron made the wrong call there.
    Too hasty, emotional, and eager.
    Other are receiving their shipping notifications...

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 01:21 PM

This shouldn't have happened if you're a customer with a Telus account. Their corporate stores don't have the authority to stop an account holder from buying out the hardware at the unsubsidized price, regardless of the existing contract.

If you're not a Telus account holder, then that's a completely different story.

I know back in my phone store days, when we had a hot ticket item. The store manager would tell us not to sell them out right unless they were being activated on a new monthly plan. But if a customer who had an existing mobility account really wanted to push the issue, it was literally a phone call to customer service and that was the end of that white lie.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    southlander likes this.
    11-08-15 01:32 PM
    Yup.
    Bakron made the wrong call there.
    Too hasty, emotional, and eager.
    Other are receiving their shipping notifications...

Posted via CB10
    Well after I spent a half hour on the phone with the folks at DR yesterday and they would not commit to a ship date sometime this week, I ordered mine on day one and it's not right that they couldn't ship it out on Monday.

I will find one and not worried one bit, I have a mint 6s 64 I would be willing to trade so, trust me, I will have one in the next couple of days. Not worried.

I will never again buy anything from Blackberry using Digital River, terrible execution on their behalf and Blackberry is as much to blame because they contacted them.
    11-08-15 01:36 PM

Telus would not let you buy a full-price Blackberry Priv despite having an existing in-force contract for your current smartphone? Sounds as though they are actively suppressing sales of the new BlackBerry smartphone. You should call head office and file a formal complaint.
    11-08-15 01:42 PM

Just order it online at telus.com. Free shipping. No plan needed.
    11-08-15 01:42 PM
    Telus would not let you buy a full-price Blackberry Priv despite having an existing in-force contract for your current smartphone? Sounds as though they are actively suppressing sales of the new BlackBerry smartphone. You should call head office and file a formal complaint.
    Nothing to do with suppressing BlackBerry. They will say the same thing for all phones.

You're taking their commission if you buy it outright. They want to save the phones for people with new activations.
    11-08-15 01:43 PM
    What if you called at&t and informed them that you want to buy the phone outright? Usually the goofballs at the store don't know squat.
    11-08-15 01:51 PM
    I will never again buy anything from Blackberry using Digital River, terrible execution on their behalf and Blackberry is as much to blame because they contacted them.
    Digital River has always been problematic even for BlackBerry. These days BlackBerry could be handling direct-to-consumer sales and distribution in-house and out-source payment processing to PayPal. Put a 24-hour hold on domestic and trusted international sales and a 96-hour hold on international sales from high-risk fraud countries.
    bakron1 likes this.
    11-08-15 01:54 PM
    That is just your sales consultant wanting commission. I posted how to get around that yesterday.

They will sell you one as a non-customer, there is a way around it.

Tell them you want a Priv as a Go-Phone. You will buy it outright, and then they charge you like an extra $15 for a sim and you're good to go. It won't be unlocked out the gate, but its the same handset anyone else would get. Note that ATT won't unlock it themselves if its sold as a Go-Phone until it has 6months of service on it. It's their vain attempt to keep handsets they sell active on their own network. You can still pay to unlock it elsewhere though.

It's how I got my second one for my Fiance (first is a shopbb preorder).
    11-08-15 01:56 PM
    No one is going dump their carrier to jump to AT&T for the sake of buying a Priv.
    Actually I did just that and don't regret it at all because this phone is a beast and couldn't wait any longer for an upgrade.

11-08-15 01:58 PM
    Wow such ****ty carrier t&cs you'll got over there.

Edit: actually what is really nice is your guys carrier's return policy getting to try a phone for a bit and able to change it for another.
    Last edited by sayf777; 11-08-15 at 02:16 PM.
    11-08-15 02:06 PM
    Actually I did just that and don't regret it at all because this phone is a beast and couldn't wait any longer for an upgrade.

Good for you, I have been with T Mobile for years and traveled the world using them and I am not leaving anytime soon.

I used AT&T for 6 months and went back to TM. I don't like their billing practices.
    lift likes this.
    Nothing to do with suppressing BlackBerry. They will say the same thing for all phones.

You're taking their commission if you buy it outright. They want to save the phones for people with new activations.
    I bought a BlackBerry Priv as a hardware upgrade from Rogers Wireless in Canada and was able to keep my current voice and data plan plus an additional discount using reward points. It was cheaper overall for me to pay the subsidised price and sign a two-year contract with my current voice and data plan, no longer available, than to buy the smartphone outright and remain contract-free. I was not intending to change wireless carriers within the next two years so it was an easy decision. In the past I have bought BlackBerry smartphones at full-price and activated it on the existing voice and data plan when this option was less expensive than paying-out the subsidy on the then current device. In-person transactions seem to work out better for me.
    I jumped carriers to get a Nokia lumia icon. Don't judge me. 😆

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Priv
    11-08-15 03:47 PM
    Really? Even if you want to upgrade one of the phones while your on a plan?

Posted via CB10
    I gotta pay it off first then sign another contract.

11-08-15 04:27 PM

I think you are right, Telus commission is huge (heard from a friend), but if you can't sell any phone you obviously get really poor salary.

11-08-15 04:33 PM
    Good for you, I have been with T Mobile for years and traveled the world using them and I am not leaving anytime soon.

I used AT&T for 6 months and went back to TM. I don't like their billing practices.
    So what are you going to do now? wait until you can get it through T-mobile?
    is sucks that all of that happened
    11-08-15 06:08 PM
26 12