Title should read "Blackberry should stop manufacturing keyboard devices like Priv and Passport and start making keyboard accessories"

The other day while in another thread on CB I was reading about other users favorite BlackBerry devices. Many people's favorite devices were of course keyboard handsets like the Passport and classic/Q10. While devices like these are great (my favorite BlackBerry to date is the passport), I don't think it's really possible to sell in great numbers in today's market due to the screen size / shape.

That's probably the number one reason BlackBerry came out with the Priv in the first place, to offer a full touch experience with a physical keyboard. The only issue is not everyone wants a physical keyboard, and those who do would probably want a device that offers a better keyboard than the mushy mess that is on the Priv, that's also easier to type on (the keyboards location on the Priv makes it harder to type on than if it were taking up half the screen like it would on a traditional BlackBerry imho).

I think BlackBerry could easily make a keyboard accessory/module that could solve a whole slew of problems facing the company.

1. BlackBerry would be able to focus on one single device, while catering to both full touch and physical keyboard users, without the compromises that the Priv made.

2. Lower costs due to only having to design and produce one device.

3. Increased revenue from accessory sales (obviously not a huge amount of cash but some nonetheless)

4. An overall better designed, slimmer, sturdier device that lacks moving parts.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the other benefits I thought up.

It would be great to have a phone that can give an amazing multimedia experience, while still having the productivity offered by a large, clicky, physical keyboard that could be removed whenever not needed.

It would be great to hear what you guys think about this. I know other companies have tried to make keyboards for full touch phones before, but those have always been poorly designed knock offs. If anyone could make it work, it would be BlackBerry .

***Mods if this is in the wrong area please move. Thanks!***

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-22-16 12:53 PM
    Not sure how much of a market is for the accessories...

TYPO was one of the bigger names to try it but it seems sales weren't all that good from what I've heard... and that was before the iPhone got larger.

As for the Galaxy keyboard accessories... on Amazon they only have 50 reviews for the S6, less for the S7 version. And you can get either for $30 now... not much room for profit.

What BlackBerry want's is licensing deals.... Chen doesn't want the risk of being stuck with dead inventory.
    07-22-16 01:11 PM
    How do you make it elegant. Addons are crappy designs.

You'd have to put the fingerprint sensor on the back.
    07-22-16 01:19 PM
    Go home Seacrest! Lol honestly I think the Priv nailed it, I rarely use the physical keyboard and I forget about it being there most of the time, but its there for long emails but doesnt add bulk. I like the form factor and versatility

eggbertx3 likes this.
    07-22-16 03:06 PM
    Title should read "Blackberry should stop manufacturing keyboard devices like Priv and Passport and start making keyboard accessories"

The other day while in another thread on CB I was reading about other users favorite BlackBerry devices. Many people's favorite devices were of course keyboard handsets like the Passport and classic/Q10. While devices like these are great (my favorite BlackBerry to date is the passport), I don't think it's really possible to sell in great numbers in today's market due to the screen size / shape.

That's probably the number one reason BlackBerry came out with the Priv in the first place, to offer a full touch experience with a physical keyboard. The only issue is not everyone wants a physical keyboard, and those who do would probably want a device that offers a better keyboard than the mushy mess that is on the Priv, that's also easier to type on (the keyboards location on the Priv makes it harder to type on than if it were taking up half the screen like it would on a traditional BlackBerry imho).

I think BlackBerry could easily make a keyboard accessory/module that could solve a whole slew of problems facing the company.

1. BlackBerry would be able to focus on one single device, while catering to both full touch and physical keyboard users, without the compromises that the Priv made.

3. Increased revenue from accessory sales (obviously not a huge amount of cash but some nonetheless)

4. An overall better designed, slimmer, sturdier device that lacks moving parts.

It would be great to have a phone that can give an amazing multimedia experience, while still having the productivity offered by a large, clicky, physical keyboard that could be removed whenever not needed.

It would be great to hear what you guys think about this. I know other companies have tried to make keyboards for full touch phones before, but those have always been poorly designed knock offs. If anyone could make it work, it would be BlackBerry .

Hhm, i disagree with this. BBRY SHOULD always have a PKB phone. That's the real DNA of BBRY in phone dept.

tonycara57 and raremage like this.
    07-22-16 07:14 PM
    If a BlackBerry slab phone came with a snap on back that had a slider out keyboard and huge honkin' battery I'd buy one. Or more.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    Wezard likes this.
    07-22-16 08:33 PM
    I love my Priv's PKB. Always use it when scrolling in browser because it cuts down on opening unwanted links. Always use it to deliver important stuff. At the moment, whipping it out at the right moment can have the desired stun effect. Eventually this PKB will have an incredible retro look and feel. Oooooh, Billie, Billie Barooo... (CaddyShack)
    FF22 and Sigewif like this.
    07-23-16 08:40 AM
    I also love my PRIV physical keyboard! I love that it is there right when you need it, and it slides away when you don't. I think it would be awkward to have to attach and detach an add on keyboard. I love that it opens up out of the way of the screen instead of having the screen covered with the letters and numbers. Muchy mess? Absolutely not! It is not hard to type on at all. I have had trouble with my thumbs from injuries to them and it works great for me. It balances so perfectly when I am typing on it. To be honest I waited for a long time for this slider form factor and when it arrived it was better than I had hoped! I would buy a Priv 2 so I hope they don't give up on it. Too bad it did not get marketed better when it was released. I do think it will continue to sell now that there are better deals for it and more people know about it.
    07-24-16 01:46 AM
    They should start only making keyboard for every one (other manufacturer) and call it Secure Keyboard LOL.
    07-24-16 03:31 AM
    I disagree: BB should make PKB's. And while it appears BB has all but stopped, one can only keep thinking good thoughts.

One can only hope for a 9000/9900'esque keyboard in shape and footprint...And while the PP was innovative, for those of use using multiple languages, it was not as easy to switch between languages. Realise it is great for some, but lacks convenience for my needs. So, I will continue to use and stock the Q.
    07-24-16 08:19 AM
    A BlackBerry without its PKB is like a smile without teeth...

Posted via CB10
    FF22, TheBond and Sigewif like this.
    07-24-16 08:45 AM
    I prefer the PKB not an attachment the classic keyboard is probably the best keyboard to date. Look what happened to the iPhone keyboard !

werkregen likes this.
    07-25-16 05:14 PM
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: if BlackBerry does not make PKB phones, I have zero reasons to buy one. There are lots of choices at a lower price and better specs.
    07-25-16 07:26 PM
    The physical keyboard of the BlackBerry Priv is a good typing experience. Go mash your fingers on the virtual keyboard if you do not appreciate the physical keyboard.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    07-25-16 07:34 PM
    Want a VKB Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 07:47 PM

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I can definitely say you have absolutely no appreciation for how difficult it is to make that kind of move for a company like blackberry and the amount of software and hardware engineering development they need to do.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 09:23 PM
    And Typo basically tried to copy the BlackBerry pkb, right?

Who wants an add-on? Carrying a phone is enough.

Certainly, the awaited Rome will be a solution to the Passport form factor, which is a beautiful form factor anyways. But I understand that it is quite particular. And even I, a staunch defender of its form, am not always so desirous in carrying the phone around.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 10:57 PM
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: if BlackBerry does not make PKB phones, I have zero reasons to buy one. There are lots of choices at a lower price and better specs.
    Agreed. However the Priv is a damn good phone.
    07-25-16 11:07 PM
    It would be good to keep the physical keyboard because this is what BlackBerry is very God at. But let's not forget about BlackBerry's touch keyboard, as it does stand out from the crowd. The Android - BlackBerry 10 'blend' is a way forward.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 03:52 AM
    Agreed. However the Priv is a damn good phone.
    Yeah my point it's $800 for an 808 or a Nexus 5x for $400 for the same specs, should the keyboard not exist.
    07-26-16 06:48 AM
    I don't think people want to carry another piece of accessory in their pockets, the trend is to carry less.

Instead, blackberry should "go back to the roots" and focus on making one powerfull PKB device - a thing they were famous for. Their flagship should have been the Mercury, not the Priv.

The Priv's keyboard is ok for some (not me though), but the quality of a classic PKB such as on the 9000 series, Q20, Q10 would attract even more customers. Sadly I expect the Mercury to suffer the same fate as the Classic: great keyboard, size and form - underpowered, weak battery and severely overpriced for the internals. Imagine how awesome the Classic would had been if it had the Passport hardware!
    07-26-16 07:12 AM
    It would be good to keep the physical keyboard because this is what BlackBerry is very God at. But let's not forget about BlackBerry's touch keyboard, as it does stand out from the crowd. The Android - BlackBerry 10 'blend' is a way forward.

Posted via CB10
    The VKB works well for English users but not so much for the rest. Swype worked way better for me.
    07-26-16 07:15 AM
    I don't think people want to carry another piece of accessory in their pockets, the trend is to carry less.

Instead, blackberry should "go back to the roots" and focus on making one powerfull PKB device - a thing they were famous for. Their flagship should have been the Mercury, not the Priv.

The Priv's keyboard is ok for some (not me though), but the quality of a classic PKB such as on the 9000 series, Q20, Q10 would attract even more customers. Sadly I expect the Mercury to suffer the same fate as the Classic: great keyboard, size and form - underpowered, weak battery and severely overpriced for the internals. Imagine how awesome the Classic would had been if it had the Passport hardware!
    Well, it will be interesting to see what they come up with when designing a phone with a PKB. The issue these days is that folks also want more screen real estate and throwing a keyboard below requires a reduction in screen size. Also, many Android apps are designed for the elongated rectangular screen size (either portrait or landscape) and not for the more squarish screen with a pkb or with its reduced size.
    07-26-16 08:57 AM
    So, BlackBerry should turn in to Belkin?
    07-26-16 08:59 AM
    Well, it will be interesting to see what they come up with when designing a phone with a PKB. The issue these days is that folks also want more screen real estate and throwing a keyboard below requires a reduction in screen size. Also, many Android apps are designed for the elongated rectangular screen size (either portrait or landscape) and not for the more squarish screen with a pkb or with its reduced size.
    I wouldn't mind if Priv's keyboard would be on top of the phone instead of underneath or a 1 cm taller "Android Classic". It isn't a big compromise for people who really want a PKB. Apps shouldn't be a problem since they looked ok on my Classic and they're usually designed to adapt to any screen size due to how varied the Android phone market is.

IMO large screen sizes is a trend that will pass the next few years and the success of iPhone SE strengthened my belief. I find the Priv uncomfortable (compared to Classic) - it either sticks out of my pockets or hangs like a brick and I'm afraid to break it when tying my shoes. If I want to read something lenghty at home, I can use a tablet/Kindle/ultrabook which are almost household items nowadays. The biggest benefit of large screens comes when commuting/waiting in lines, etc but those moments aren't really worth the loss in comfort. We are surrouding ourselves with wearable technology so large phones become more of an annoyance.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-16 10:12 AM