I hope BlackBerry figures out how to differentiate themselves enough to compete against the many competitors or players in the Android arena. Competition is fierce and many struggle to survive. The slider idea and the HUB were their differentiators but build quality has been a concern, valid or not I can't say for sure but don't give them a reason to bark cause they like to take bites or nip at your ankles in the reviews. The HUB needs to work like it does on BB10 yet it does not at least not as perfectly and seamless .

One flawed choice of planning on Chen's part is that the Priv wasn't for the loyal BlackBerry users, it was to bring back some old BlackBerry lovers (now Android lovers) and take some numbers from the Android market, so to come out with a physical keyboard just for the sake of differentiation was a big mistake. Yes the argument could be made that he made a slider to appeal to the full screen and PK aficionados alike but a slider phone can be a tricky and difficult sell and we all know that the full screen is widely accepted among all platforms. I don't think BlackBerry would have a problem selling their awesome VK style and could have bundled a swipe typing option as well. BlackBerry should have released a safer standard candybar style phone with no moving parts for less chance of manufacturing problems or critical reviews with familiarity to the masses. By the time the next round in September rolls around they could have released both styles just in time for the BlackBerry loyalist and PK aficionados who are fearing the end on BB10 to have an option to move. Competition and reviews are harsh so just because BlackBerry understands why the Priv's more difficult manufacturing made for a higher price point was another gamble they could not afford.

I think the HUB is the kicker here and they need to do all they can just as they have with security which I do applaud them for setting the new standard on android when it comes to security updates. But if they are not able to create and improve the Android HUB convincing enough BB10 loyalists that this is the same boat with a different banner then how are they to convince other Android users? The HUB is the key differentiator here and needs full on support and development to get it on par with the BB10 version before other manufacturers copy it and do it right or better.

Here is hoping for smart moves here forward so that the brand can survive in some fashion. I don't know if a failed attempt in the Android realm would cause them to revive BB10 or not but can't say that would break my heart either lol. Waiting for September and the two new phones with many new updates to the OS and HUB, so fingers crossed

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 08:42 AM
    You are absolutely right about the hub. I was unpleasantly surprised to learn from BlackBerry help line that even a native app like BBM doesn't work the same as it was with BB 10 hub.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-01-16 09:20 AM
    Well, clearly the PKB is not that much of a draw card. This was their last chance to bounce back and they decide to only release the Priv?! If you are up against the rope you come out fighting very hard, they should have released the Priv alongside its sibling without the keyboard. Now, it looks like there won't be a chance for the sequel to either phone.

The rumoured phone, for all we know, may not see the light of day, and if they do, I bet people won't care that much except those who still like BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 09:29 AM
    I have not had any build issues with my Priv. It is rock solid.

I love the choice of VKB and PKB. I use the PKB more because I think it provides a great experience.

The BlackBerry Hub is OK. It's a software fix that I'm sure will eventually come. Even in it's current form, it's the best integrated communications app for Android out there. Nothing else comes close (even in it's current form).

Security updates monthly. Enough said. Nobody does that as good as BlackBerry.

BlackBerry productivity apps are top-notch.

For me, these are good differentiating factors and will keep with with Android BlackBerry.
    05-01-16 09:53 AM
    There are enough differentiation features to set Priv apart at launch and to be honest the tech review community received Priv way better than all the BlackBerries released in recent years.

But first, the cost is high so the price is too high for a "startup" brand... BlackBerry always think themselves as established brand while in reality, they are viewed as new kid in the block, or worse, a kid with a baggage of a lot of things to prove. Don't know when they will see this.

Furthermore, they are indeed new kid in the block in terms of competing in Android world. They are probably stunned now that at least 3 new flagship phones released in less than 6 months after Priv's release with much better internals and clear advantages over Priv on carriers counter display. If they were saving their advertising money... that's a big IF... now they would find it a complete waste of money to spend it on Priv.

The rhythm in Android world is much faster than what BlackBerry is used to. Two big release cycles per year instead of once every two years. This is only talking about flagship devices. Those mid - level device release cycles are even worse.

Imagine this, where would a carrier store put BlackBerry 's new upcoming mid-tier phones?

Nowhere!

Yes. Because the display counter real state are extremely expensive for carrier store too. They only leave revenue generating devices on display, not a device has a lot to prove.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    05-01-16 10:17 AM
    1. The hub as a feature does not have much of a future because social media companies do not want users to access their content in someone else's app - they want users to live in their own app.
    2. VKB is not a differentiator on a platform where 3rd party keyboards are available to download whever the user wants. There's no reason to think that BlackBerry has any advantage in the VKB arena.
    3. The declining marketshare of BB10 represents BlackBerry loyalists throwing in the towel because they don't have access to apps they need. Did you want them to wait on Android until only CrackBerry useres are left on BB10?
    05-01-16 10:33 AM