In the last two weeks, my Blackberry Priv has been overheating. Overheating to the point that the light bulb notification appears staying that the phone is getting hot and that measures are being taken to cool the phone down. Can someone shed some light on this. This is a AT&T locked Priv with Android 6.0.1 OS. I closed all apps as recommended from previous post I've seen. I suspect that the issue lies when I turn on WiFi but then again it doesn't happen during the duration of WiFi being on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    03-24-17 11:45 AM
    Open the Battery module under Main Settings and see what is using the battery? You can change views and see what is using the cpu.
    03-24-17 11:51 AM
    Mine is an OG Priv and the heating has been noticeable of late while it was much better for months just prior...
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Priv is hot!-392548.jpg  
    03-24-17 11:56 AM
    Same here. Ever since the March update it is extremely hot. I get the notification that it is too hot. Before it would get hot on occasion but now it's really bad.
    03-24-17 12:03 PM
    Same here. Ever since the March update it is extremely hot. I get the notification that it is too hot. Before it would get hot on occasion but now it's really bad.
    I used to get that notification mostly when charging but now even off Charge and doing something not very demanding...
    03-24-17 12:06 PM
    Mine is an OG Priv and the heating has been noticeable of late while it was much better for months just prior...
    You could turn down screen brightness. But how long has it been off the charger? You might want to check the results after 6-8 hours to be representative of a longer day of use. But has it heated up during the period shown?
    03-24-17 12:13 PM
    You could turn down screen brightness. But how long has it been off the charger? You might want to check the results after 6-8 hours to be representative of a longer day of use. But has it heated up during the period shown?
    I have Velis AutoBrightness on it with low brightness Settings... this was the same setting as before this heating began getting worse. I am not able to recall whether it coincided with the March update, the update to Hub+ services, or what...
    03-24-17 12:19 PM
    Did you do a reboot after the update?
    03-24-17 12:21 PM
    Did you do a reboot after the update?
    Yes... more than once
    03-24-17 12:23 PM
    If it continues running hot, you may need to do a factory reset. Some who have experienced what you are going thru have found that it corrects the problem. Hope it settles down on its own.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    03-24-17 12:26 PM
    Factory reset is a miserable experience... takes days to weeks to set up the Fone again...
    FF22 and Gigolo69 like this.
    03-24-17 12:29 PM
    Are you in an area with little or no signal? An area where the Wi-Fi connection is unstable?

Are you downloading anything in the background? Go to your data usage tab and check if there's an app that is downloading more than it should

Do you have any battery monitor / optimizer app? Any antivirus apps? Anything like that has to be deleted immediately as they usually make your issues worse or just do nothing
    03-24-17 12:35 PM
    Are you in an area with little or no signal? An area where the Wi-Fi connection is unstable?

...NO... I am using an ATT Microcell with very strong signal 3G

Are you downloading anything in the background? Go to your data usage tab and check if there's an app that is downloading more than it should

...I don't think so

Do you have any battery monitor / optimizer app? Any antivirus apps? Anything like that has to be deleted immediately as they usually make your issues worse or just do nothing

...I have mawarebytes but set only to run manually which I don't do
    03-24-17 12:49 PM
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having the issue. I haven't received notification that the March update is ready for my phone (but then again I haven't checked) but I did just noticed that FB Messenger and The Weather Channel apps were taking up a lot of battery life so I'm going to uninstall and reinstall later to see if that helps.
    03-24-17 01:34 PM
    Try Race LITE which has messenger built in... ditch Weather Channel for AccuWeather or 1Weather
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    03-24-17 01:37 PM
    I have Velis AutoBrightness on it with low brightness Settings... this was the same setting as before this heating began getting worse. I am not able to recall whether it coincided with the March update, the update to Hub+ services, or what...
    I used that same auto brightness app and my phone started to get hotter than usual while doing my same ole routine usage. It got to the point where my phone will randomly reboot. Soon as I ditched the app and used the adaptive display at a low setting, it has not gotten hot and the battery is way better.

I think that app is deceptive and you are better off without it in my opinion. I don't do any social networking either as I have heard that could be a culprit too.
    03-24-17 01:51 PM
    Same here, battery lasts barely 3h SoT, priv gets hot and sometimes lags like crazy, especially when writing.
    I am not into factory reset, as the phone is my working tool and setting up all my apps, 6 mails, and the communication tools I use daily would be a pain.
    I hope the replacement KEYone comes soon, then I'll ditch the Priv and I hopefully enjoy a more battery friendly experience without overheating...
    03-24-17 05:21 PM
    Same here, ever since the update, it gets hot and laggy. T-Mobile user.
    03-24-17 05:40 PM

Where is that tab? Thanks. (found it under NOT Battery! )

My power seems to go to Android Services and OS!
    03-24-17 05:42 PM
    Where is that tab? Thanks.
    The data usage? It's in the main settings screen, below wifi and Bluetooth "data usage"

You can choose between mobile data and wifi, and if you scroll down you can see how much data each app is using
    FF22 likes this.
    03-24-17 05:44 PM
    There are usually a whole lot of app updates released right about the same time as a security update. I suspect it's an app update, rather than the security update.
    If it was the security update, there would be a whole lot of complaints here, instead of just a few.
    I got the update, days ago, no issues at all.
    03-24-17 08:02 PM
    Factory reset is a miserable experience... takes days to weeks to set up the Fone again...
    Slight exaggeration there?
    I can usually do mine in a day, day and a half if I get distracted.
    kenstiles likes this.
    03-24-17 08:05 PM
    I can cook eggs on my priv since the update. I've tried everything and have started uninstalling apps one by one. Frustrating because I had a good run going since MM update. Then February security update came and i had a slight battery degradation. Now this. Argh.
    03-24-17 08:44 PM
    Slight exaggeration there?
    I can usually do mine in a day, day and a half if I get distracted.
    Still a pain in the butt that really needs to be addressed. There should be an easy way to backup and restore the whole damn phone.

Oh, and that is my humble opinion.
    Wezard likes this.
    03-24-17 09:10 PM
    I'm still trying to pinpoint the issue. When my Priv got hot tonight, my WiFi signal was at full strength and the phone was lagging so either it is specific apps or it has something to do with WiFi and MM.
    03-24-17 10:44 PM
41 12