Didn't understand who to start in Safe Mode.
    I Press Power Off, Hold it and... ?
    11-05-16 12:09 PM
    OK. I'm in Safe mode, how can I test the GPS if it disable more of the apps ?
    11-05-16 12:32 PM
    Didn't understand who to start in Safe Mode.
    I Press Power Off, Hold it and... ?
    Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

You actually Press/Hold on the wording as shown in the attached picture:

BlackBerry Priv GPS Issues-screenshot_2016-11-05-10-31-33.jpg
    11-05-16 12:34 PM
    Ok, what should I do when in Safe Mode , since there�s no app to test the GPS enabled ?
    dgsPRIV likes this.
    11-05-16 01:30 PM
    Ok, what should I do when in Safe Mode , since there�s no app to test the GPS enabled ?
    Good question! I've only used it once. Does the BB Virtual Expert app run? Can you open the App Drawer and get to apps? Can you download GPS Status?

Sorry I'm not much more help.
    11-05-16 02:23 PM
    I can open the App Drawer but can't run Virtual Expert neither GPS Status
    11-05-16 02:54 PM
    I just looked and did not find much info on Safe Mode

BlackBerry smartphone powered by Android Troubleshooting Guide | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

safe mode | Search Results | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Are you in the US/Canada or UK?

(I apologize but when I've tested with Safe Mode, it removed a bunch of my icons and my widgets so I'm reluctant to experiment again)
    11-05-16 03:23 PM
    I'm in Brazil.
    11-05-16 03:25 PM
    I'm in Brazil.
    The support numbers are for the US/Canada and the UK

Those help blog links might entertain additional questions. And you saw that I asked about Safe Mode. Maybe someone will have some suggestions in that thread.
    11-05-16 03:41 PM
    Tks, it helped.
    I guess I have a hardware problem, even though it started all of a sudden.
    11-05-16 05:27 PM
    Tks, it helped.
    I guess I have a hardware problem, even though it started all of a sudden.
    Sorry about that and good luck with a solution.
    11-05-16 06:24 PM
    I am having the same problem on my Priv, I noticed last month that the GPS was not accurate on google maps. I have installed different GPS apps to try to fix it, did all three types of reboots and uninstalled most of my apps with still dice. I have talked to two different people on the Priv support line and have sent screen shots showing it never locks on any satellites. I have read about some android phones having this issue after updating to Marshmallow so I am beginning to think that is related to that. I should be getting a call back from BB soon to discuss the issue more and hopefully come up with a solution.
    11-07-16 12:54 PM
    I am having the same problem on my Priv, I noticed last month that the GPS was not accurate on google maps. I have installed different GPS apps to try to fix it, did all three types of reboots and uninstalled most of my apps with still dice. I have talked to two different people on the Priv support line and have sent screen shots showing it never locks on any satellites. I have read about some android phones having this issue after updating to Marshmallow so I am beginning to think that is related to that. I should be getting a call back from BB soon to discuss the issue more and hopefully come up with a solution.
    Good luck and let us know.
    11-07-16 02:28 PM
    Use GPS daily and it's 50/50.

Very annoying. Last few weeks it's been especially bad. 10% success with GPS lock. Wildly immaculate 90% of the time.
    11-15-16 06:03 PM
    Use GPS daily and it's 50/50.

Very annoying. Last few weeks it's been especially bad. 10% success with GPS lock. Wildly immaculate 90% of the time.
    Crossing fingers, I've been lucky, I guess. Here's a track map of today's hike. It was only two miles but the track is quite accurate. Captured with Nogago Track app. It is a screen capture image.

BlackBerry Priv GPS Issues-screenshot_20161115-210109.jpg
    11-15-16 10:09 PM
    F2, I suppose GPS issues aren't to be be expected when you're not hiking with a cheetah's speed.

I don't know when it exactly happened to me, could perhaps be when we migrated to Marshmallow, or if it could have anything to do with a Google Maps/Waeze update (although I fruitlessly moved back to the original Google maps version without seeing improvements), or maybe my 4G isn't fast enough for Google maps/Waeze all of a sudden (where to check what minimum speed you need for it to work perfectly while on the go?), but the GPS problem has become major: I can simply not use it any longer on commutes!!!! I did not get another 4g data bundle, so technically it can not be a lack of data speed.

So what is going on all of sudden.
    If I stay in one country/city (driving on the highway or not) or if I drive from one into another on the highway, when using google maps the arrow just freezes dozens and dozens of times "No GPS available" "No GPS. Showing approximate location" (Waeze), and then after ~20-30 secs (or longer) the arrow "cathes-up again to show where you exactly are driving.

In the mean time I must have missed more than a hunnert turns/exits in all this time and countless of times I had to ask people on the streets how to drive. How embarrassing is that?? Countless of times I had to find bus stops that have maps to see where I am exactly and how I should drive!!

This could seriously be a deal breaker for me when it will not get fixed.

Is this what you guys mean with "it doesn't lock on satellites"???? Or how can you check that it does????

I tried the Blackberry Virtual Expert (Attachment: #1) and used some apps (Second pic = app called: GPS Test).

I don't know what good numbers are, so kindly tell me if this data looks good or not because I don't know what data should be there or how to read these numbers exactly:
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry Priv GPS Issues-1.jpg   BlackBerry Priv GPS Issues-2.jpg  
    Last edited by WT44; 11-21-16 at 10:38 AM.
    11-21-16 10:18 AM
    F2, I suppose GPS issues aren't to be be expected when you're not hiking with a cheetah's speed.

I don't know when it exactly happened to me, could perhaps be when we migrated to Marshmallow, or if it could have anything to do with a Google Maps/Waeze update (although I fruitlessly moved back to the original Google maps version without seeing improvements), or maybe my 4G isn't fast enough for Google maps/Waeze all of a sudden (where to check what minimum speed you need for it to work perfectly while on the go?), but the GPS problem has become major: I can simply not use it any longer on commutes!!!! I did not get another 4g data bundle, so technically it can not be a lack of data speed.

So what is going on all of sudden.
    If I stay in one country/city (driving on the highway or not) or if I drive from one into another on the highway, when using google maps the arrow just freezes dozens and dozens of times "No GPS available" "No GPS. Showing approximate location" (Waeze), and then after ~20-30 secs (or longer) the arrow "cathes-up again to show where you exactly are driving.

In the mean time I must have missed more than a hunnert turns/exits in all this time and countless of times I had to ask people on the streets how to drive. How embarrassing is that?? Countless of times I had to find bus stops that have maps to see where I am exactly and how I should drive!!

This could seriously be a deal breaker for me when it will not get fixed.

Is this what you guys mean with "it doesn't lock on satellites"???? Or how can you check that it does????

I tried the Blackberry Virtual Expert (Attachment: #1) and used some apps (Second pic = app called: GPS Test).

I don't know what good numbers are, so kindly tell me if this data looks good or not because I don't know what data should be there or how to read these numbers exactly:
    I wonder if having too many gps apps might cause a problem but I don't know.

I actually did use Google Maps to get out of the Phoenix Airport to head to Sedona. But we also wanted a Supermarket and found a Fry's and it routed us (as a via or whatever Google calls it) there and then back to the highway and our exit to Sedona and the resort. But the area we were in is very open with a clear view of the sky at almost all times which might also help.

But you could have a hardware problem. I don't know enough about signal-noise-ratio, so don't really know what the numbers mean. I'm indoors at the moment. I got ONE green and lots or reds. What's the second screen?

And you are right - my walking speed does not compare with driving speeds. At the moment MY walking speed does not compare with normal walking speeds but I'm "walking (working)" on it!!!!
    11-21-16 11:05 AM
    I wonder if having too many gps apps might cause a problem but I don't know.
    I don't think so. Until recently I only had Google Maps. No need for another GPS app. Only when Google Maps (also the original release) started to freeze up all the time while driving and giving me these no GPS notifications, I installed Waeze to see if it would do a better job in that respect. The app GPS Test I also only installed since it was mentioned here.

I actually did use Google Maps to get out of the Phoenix Airport to head to Sedona. But we also wanted a Supermarket and found a Fry's and it routed us (as a via or whatever Google calls it) there and then back to the highway and our exit to Sedona and the resort. But the area we were in is very open with a clear view of the sky at almost all times which might also help.
    Not sure. Winter hasn't really arrived yet here where I work and live (Germany, Holland, Belgium, Northern France mostly). Skies are thus also clear especially while driving the highway one would think there would be no obstacles for the GPS to fail/freeze CONSTANTLY. Maybe some GPS related things work differently in the States. I dunno.

But you could have a hardware problem. I don't know enough about signal-noise-ratio, so don't really know what the numbers mean. I'm indoors at the moment. I got ONE green and lots or reds. What's the second screen?

And you are right - my walking speed does not compare with driving speeds. At the moment MY walking speed does not compare with normal walking speeds but I'm "walking (working)" on it!!!!
    The thing is it used to work all the time. No reason to think it suddenly broke. And even if that is possible, how can one know this using virtual expert? (see attachment #1). It says 10 satellites "detected" and I suppose 19 in the neighborhood. The second attachment (App: GPS Test) says: 21 in view and 8 in use. I don't know what this says about my issues and about my GPS.

About the walking speeds. I only meant to explain that one probably will not encounter GPS issues while hiking or going for a stroll in the city/nature due to the walking pace the GPS apps have more than enough time to adapt while you're going about your way. So freezing or "No GPS"/"GPS is unavailable" notification is probably not to be expected. Only when you drive and perhaps crossing borders if that makes sense somehow.

Last week I was home @ 04:30 AM while I was at a birthday party in some country town in Germany in the middle of nowhere and obviously nobody to ask at this time. I was home 3 hours later than I would be if I had GPS. At first It took forever in this rural area to find my way back to the highways. Then I made so many detours and wrong exits due to closed roads and road signs that had strikethrough's for whatever reasons and often the thing in Germany is that if you miss one turn you sometimes have to drive like 60 KM to get to the proper way again. It was just horrible since I had to get up again at 6.30 AM. I was literally a zombie that day with bloodshot eyes. I'm really thinking about buying some road maps again, but that's just plain silly now that we're in the 2010s.
    Last edited by WT44; 11-22-16 at 09:05 AM.
    11-21-16 12:17 PM
    I don't think so. Until recently I only had Google Maps.
    I am not sure what to suggest. A serious alternative is to reload the entire OS but that wipes the device and from what saw last week, hours of restoration. And, no guarantee that it will fix the issue.

I have used my TomTom gps in Germany, Austria and Italy and it was terrific in small towns and the boondocks. My friend's TomTom was fine in France and Switzerland last (2015) summer. But lots of folks totally rely on phone gps systems.
    11-21-16 02:49 PM
    Today I got lost again due to Google Maps/Waeze freezing-up again in various ways.
    Just got home and Googled some out of curiousness.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssues-1070961/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-maps-1065187/

http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...-priv-1091226/

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...s/td-p/3158921

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...w/td-p/3185085

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...m/td-p/3182841

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...ps/m-p/3177837

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...y/td-p/3170937

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...s/td-p/3194193

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...th_their_priv/

GPS Issues? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

And the list goes on and on and on and on....
    I didn't even list all the sites I found in different languages....
    All the workarounds/bypasses are fruitless and certainly a waste of time....
    Suffice to say, when being on the road in a motor vehicle a lot, cross country borders a lot (although that doesn't even make a difference since when I stay in one country (West-Europe) the gps issues are there more often than not), when GPS is critical to you, I would not recommend the Priv.

I'm thinking of purchasing a tom tom navigation (which I never thought I would need to buy EVER).
    I will sell the Priv. Try the Mercury. And if that also has a whack GPS, I would then not be surprised I would be tempted to say goodbye to the BlackBerry brand.
    GPS IS critical for me.
    Last edited by WT44; 12-03-16 at 06:50 PM.
    12-03-16 06:16 PM
    I'm really thinking about buying some road maps again
    If navigation is critical, get a dedicated GPS, Tom Tom in Europe, Garmin for N America, no clue which is better in the rest of the world.
    Nav apps on phones are updated frequently, never know when an update will break the app, or make it buggy, and often we don't even note that the app has changed.
    WT44 likes this.
    12-04-16 10:31 AM
    If navigation is critical, get a dedicated GPS, Tom Tom in Europe, Garmin for N America, no clue which is better in the rest of the world.
    Nav apps on phones are updated frequently, never know when an update will break the app, or make it buggy, and often we don't even note that the app has changed.
    TomTom works quite well in the US, too.

Tomtom, actually, a few different ones on different trips, worked really well in Europe and when you don't know where you are going it is wonderful. In addition, I'm not sure my friends and I could have afforded the data usage costs to use the Phone as a gps in Europe whereas the gps was free once purchased. And we also did have a paper map which proved handy more than once and is much better at providing an overview.
    12-04-16 03:58 PM
    TomTom works quite well in the US, too.

Tomtom, actually, a few different ones on different trips, worked really well in Europe and when you don't know where you are going it is wonderful. In addition, I'm not sure my friends and I could have afforded the data usage costs to use the Phone as a gps in Europe whereas the gps was free once purchased. And we also did have a paper map which proved handy more than once and is much better at providing an overview.
    Heavens to Murgatroid! Gasp! A paper map? Does anyone other than a couple of us know what that is? Or even how to use it? Or fold it back up?????
    FF22 likes this.
    12-04-16 05:37 PM
    Heavens to Murgatroid! Gasp! A paper map? Does anyone other than a couple of us know what that is? Or even how to use it? Or fold it back up?????
    The one for Europe was really hard to read - lots of tiny detail and impossible to refold. You're right - burn the damn things. Electronic is the only way to go UNTIL the battery fails!

Then I bet even fewer know Murgatroid (the predecessor of Android???)
    misterabrasive likes this.
    12-04-16 06:48 PM
    Why did BB remove Compass app from Priv/Android BB's? It was an amazing and useful little app, yes I am sure there are tons of 3rd party apps, but the stock one was just classy. The only problem I have with my GPS is the Priv not being able to tell which direction I am facing easily, maybe it's google maps issue too, I can't tell if Priv doesn't know which way it's being held or if google cannot display it properly.
    12-05-16 12:21 AM
94 1234