Hi All,
    So I happened to find something in my 9 month old Priv. If you shake the Priv in a quiet environment, the camera make a audible wobble/clicking noise. It sounds more like the OIS system wobbling a little when you shake the phone.

Turn ON the camera and the wobble is no more.

I think when the camera app is not engaged, the OIS make a slight audible wobble and turning ON camera the wobble stops.

I do not consider this as a issue on the Priv, but rather interesting that there is a component in the camera that is audible. Anyone else experienced this?
    08-11-16 06:10 AM
    The camera may have a lens focusing system that works like a solenoid.
    As in, the lens could be on a movable structure and an electromagnetic coil inside the camera module magnetically moves the structure in and out a bit to focus.
    The structure would have small springs to cushion it and to help keep it in a fixed position while at rest.
    It could be the springs are a bit weak and allowing it to shift when you shake it and what you are hearing is the structure banging the end travel points.
    Just a thought.
    08-11-16 06:41 AM
    The camera may have a lens focusing system that works like a solenoid.
    As in, the lens could be on a movable structure and an electromagnetic coil inside the camera module magnetically moves the structure in and out a bit to focus.
    The structure would have small springs to cushion it and to help keep it in a fixed position while at rest.
    It could be the springs are a bit weak and allowing it to shift when you shake it and what you are hearing is the structure banging the end travel points.
    Just a thought.
    Hey thanks for your reply. I think a slight wobble should be OK.

I am however wondering if the wobble is observed in all Privs. We might know once others share their observations here. Let's see. I am just hoping the camera parts are not getting brittle and give away someday.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    08-11-16 07:50 AM
    Doesn't happen with mine

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-11-16 08:07 AM
    Doesn't happen with mine

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Oh ok. The wobble is when shaking the phone front and back rather than side to side. Just thought of pointing it as well for others to check. Thanks.

08-11-16 10:08 AM
    I just shook mine.. makes a knocking sound in the camera housing as the lens assembly moves around. Z10 & Z30 do it to a smaller effect (only 1 axis of travel, vs 3 in Priv).
    FF22 likes this.
    08-11-16 10:10 AM
    I just shook mine.. makes a knocking sound in the camera housing as the lens assembly moves around. Z10 & Z30 do it to a smaller effect (only 1 axis of travel, vs 3 in Priv).
    Hey thanks . Good to know it's normal.

08-11-16 11:08 AM
    yup, powering the AF/OIS actuator actually pulls around 110mA, so this is why it wobbles when the camera is not in use.. otherwise the battery drain would be pretty high.
    08-11-16 01:02 PM
    Interestingly, when starting the camera with the phone facing up, the camera makes a little sound, but with the phone face down, the sound is no more.
    08-18-16 01:22 AM
    Interestingly, when starting the camera with the phone facing up, the camera makes a little sound, but with the phone face down, the sound is no more.
    that would be the lens moving.. when facing one way, gravity has pulled the lens closer to it's starting position, so when energized, the lens doesn't have to travel (and make a click sound)
    FF22 likes this.
    08-18-16 11:33 AM