I get your point, for mass places like that. but to the same extent they are not all getting Priv devices. This phone is a consumer device that will most likely be a BYOD for corps. They will be buying Classic and Leap because they are cost effective devices for an enterprise.
    11-10-15 08:29 PM
    It is not really hard to send an email with step to activate. First step go to playstore and download Bes 12 client.
    That's pretty much the only thing you need to add to your BB10 instruction. Whats the big deal. I rather not have it if i don't have a need for it.
    I take it you have never rolled out new phones to around 100 people have you. It is a big deal.

I am curious. How much experience do you have setting up BES12 and enrolling 100+ devices with a mix of BB10, iOS and Android?
    11-10-15 09:33 PM
    I get your point, for mass places like that. but to the same extent they are not all getting Priv devices. This phone is a consumer device that will most likely be a BYOD for corps. They will be buying Classic and Leap because they are cost effective devices for an enterprise.
    So I get some saying that is this an enterprise device and others that it is a consumer device? To me, it's just another unfinished product roll out for BlackBerry.
    11-10-15 09:36 PM
    So I get some saying that is this an enterprise device and others that it is a consumer device? To me, it's just another unfinished product roll out for BlackBerry.
    You're just finding excuses to complain now.

It isn't that complicated. Your company is like every other company. You have your users who will take the BB10 phone and go away (making your job easy) and you have your users that insist on an iPhone or Android (probably a S6 and Note 5?)

I'm going to guess that they want the iPhone or Android because they can't do without their apps? This must mean that they already know how to download apps. Is it too much trouble to send them a link?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.client&hl=en

Do all Samsungs come with the BES 12 client installed now?
    11-10-15 10:32 PM
    So I get your point so here is my question to you then, what do you do with Apple and Android devices now? It's the exact same issue is it not? How do you handle them and BES now? I am not sure I understand your argument unless you deal with BlackBerry only and now this is lumped in with it as a one off, that's a pain. But as you said you are in a mixed environment so I am assuming you have already provisioned 100 Android devices like Samsung so how is the Priv any different then a Samsung device other than a logo on the back? Samsung devices don't come preinstalled with BES .

Again i get what you are saying but to the same extent sounds like a corner to just pick at because it's there. BlackBerry stuck as close to stock Android as they could for many different reasons one of them being every time a new version of the OS comes out they have to fork it and create their variation again, tweak the same places, add your code again. The more changes you do the more work you have to do with repeating those changes every new major version of the OS.
    webmeister likes this.
    11-11-15 04:58 AM
    @MrEvets: your reply stands out as the kind of well-considered advice that makes CrackBerry a functional community. It's not just because I agree with you, either. ;-) It's because you clearly weighed others' opinions in your replies.

The Priv will be a success based on its Android-ness. The way that an Android device is provisioned to BES 12 is simply different than with BB10. Does that make it a pain? Not really. Just different. Other native BES features like BDS, etc., can be replicated using a VPN and other software. I have no reason to doubt BlackBerry's claims about the security of the Priv either. You can bet that the hacking/rooting community is trying to virtually disassemble the Priv as we speak. The fact that we haven't heard a gleeful announcement about it is testament to the device's security.
    11-11-15 05:26 AM
    I understand where he is coming from and to be honest I feel for his problem. To the same extent it is impossible to make a pizza for a million people and every one be happy. There is more licensing to use the NOC and Secure Connect for the Priv so there are options there you just have to research them. hopefully I will be exploring them soon myself and can help others out.
    11-11-15 05:08 PM
    So on the PRIV we'd download the BES12 client like any other Android device and the Workspace is its own app-- again like any other Android device.

Do the emails which come into the Workspace also appear on the Priv's HUB like they do on BB10 devices?
    11-11-15 07:43 PM
    If you use MDM controls then you can add the work email account just like any other email account to the hub. This is not for a corp environment unless the user is okay with the org wiping the phone to get all work email off. So this is very user friendly to the user because email is in the hub but not when it comes time to remove email. Also it's possible user cany send receive org email and copy and save attachments to personal removable drives. This is using MDM controls (mobile device management) it's kind of what outlook.com or exchange gives you when you hook up your mobile device to Active Sync.

Now SWS (secure work space) that will provision email in the secured section of phone and email will not show in the hub but users private side of the device is trusted to not contain org info when they leave because it can't get outside the SWS sandbox it's really the point of SWS. So the IT admin can just nuke the SWS container and be assured all org information is gone and they can still be compliant with clients request for security etc..

Now secure Work connect for Priv i have not tested and don't yet understand it. I am doing research to see what it gives you over and above SWS
    11-11-15 07:59 PM
    If you use MDM controls then you can add the work email account just like any other email account to the hub. This is not for a corp environment unless the user is okay with the org wiping the phone to get all work email off. So this is very user friendly to the user because email is in the hub but not when it comes time to remove email. Also it's possible user cany send receive org email and copy and save attachments to personal removable drives. This is using MDM controls (mobile device management) it's kind of what outlook.com or exchange gives you when you hook up your mobile device to Active Sync.

Now SWS (secure work space) that will provision email in the secured section of phone and email will not show in the hub but users private side of the device is trusted to not contain org info when they leave because it can't get outside the SWS sandbox it's really the point of SWS. So the IT admin can just nuke the SWS container and be assured all org information is gone and they can still be compliant with clients request for security etc..

Now secure Work connect for Priv i have not tested and don't yet understand it. I am doing research to see what it gives you over and above SWS
    Thanks for the info. Terrible BlackBerry phone with no Balance.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 09:52 PM
    That's coming I believe as is the internal workspace browser when activated on bes 12 cloud. Not sure about on prem bes 12
    11-11-15 11:10 PM
    You are missing the point. There are lots of android devices in the work place being managed by mdm solutions. The priv offers up a keyboard and hub apps to replicate the bb10 experience for BlackBerry users that want all the apps that android has.
    11-11-15 11:20 PM
    It's targeted to people who liked BlackBerry, but couldn't live without the apps and went to Android. In other words, its targeted to existing Android users, NOT BB10 users. Enterprise is still BB10 domain.
    11-11-15 11:29 PM
    Not sure if you understand what BlackBerry Balance is... That is SWS and yes it does have it. I am not sure your point about a horrible phone, so far this is an Android phone that is really quite amazing, where does your horrible statement come from?
    11-12-15 05:13 AM
    So what do I need to do if I want to add a bes 12 email etc. Account to a BlackBerry priv. Just install the bes12 client and add the account to the hub, calendar etc. or do I have to install the work place app and it just works inside the work place app?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 05:36 AM
    Not sure if you understand what BlackBerry Balance is... That is SWS and yes it does have it. I am not sure your point about a horrible phone, so far this is an Android phone that is really quite amazing, where does your horrible statement come from?
    Sorry, I meant BlackBerry Balance with hub integration. I have no interest in going into an enterprise app just for work email. I like it unified like a BlackBerry 10 hub.

It may be a good Android phone, but that doesn't make it a good BlackBerry phone. I don't have any issue with BlackBerry creating it though, it's just not a phone or OS that fits my needs.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 05:41 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a pain to have work separated from personal after being spooled by BlackBerry 10 I feel the pain frustration there as I just switched and it creates a broken experience for sure. I am hoping, hoping with BES 12.2. And higher this will integrate better and I will be testing it soon. I will let know know if it integrates better using there other licenses or if it is just another way of doing a SWS using a different app.
    peter0328 likes this.
    11-12-15 05:48 AM
    So what do I need to do if I want to add a bes 12 email etc. Account to a BlackBerry priv. Just install the bes12 client and add the account to the hub, calendar etc. or do I have to install the work place app and it just works inside the work place app?

Posted via CB10
    Yes you would download the BES 12 app that asks you for a email and activation pass, if that email is tied to a BES server it will pull down setting and policies for your org and provision the needed apps to do SWS like docs to go etc..
    11-12-15 05:50 AM
    I also would have liked to see better integration between the BlackBerry Hub on Priv and BES12. Yes, I understand this is an Android and gets provisioned with BES12 the same way any other Android is, but... this is a BlackBerry Android. It is conceivable that they could have integrated BES functionality in the BlackBerry hub app on the device.

By using the BES12 client, you now have your email in different locations on the device - hub for some email and BES12 client for your corporate. It doesn't tie it all together very well. Granted, most users will never use their device with a BES, but if the ability was there it would be great. Simply go to the hub, add an account and it would prompt you for your activation pw (after adding the user to the BES and setting a pw of course).

My 2 cents. Perhaps a future update?...
    Bluenoser63 and MrEvets like this.
    11-12-15 11:05 AM
    so I have been doing some more research, there is SWS for the Priv, there is Android for Work w/secure connect plus and then Android for Work w/ secure connect then there is Knox for MDM. From what I can tell is this Android For Work is just like the old BB10 way of doing things you have apps for work and apps for play. Email, contacts, calendar etc can interact with the OS because they are not in a container. The secure connect is how BlackBerry talks to BES 12 server, there is regular and then plus. Regular secure connect is for BES only accessable inside your network, you cant use apps outside the firewall. secure connect plus lets you tunnel to your BES12 server through your firewall allowing access to network anywhere in the world. The plus is what you want so that your work apps have a secure connecrion back to your internal network and you can specify what apps can use it. This way you dont have to give the whole OS vpn access to your work network. SWS is a container and makes an app to access your work data and apps. Then MDM is just simple managing whole device, need password or not, simple high level stuff. So what it looks like people want is Android for Work with Secure Connect Plus.

I was testing this but it looks like Android for Work was not added till BES 12.2 I have 12.0 so still waiting to test. also it seems that you have to have a google controled domain, does anyone know what that means? Is that like Office 365 but googles version?
    11-13-15 08:33 PM
    Pretty much have it there. I have 12.2, and just went through the setup. You'll need an account for
    console.developers.google dotcom
    and and account on Google Apps for Work.
    admin.google (dotcom slash) AdminHome

The tricky part is if you don't already have google Apps for work, you need to verify your domain when you create it. One you are all setup, you can use the following setting on BES12's Android For Work configurations (It's the very last setting on the first page)

Allow BES12 to create users in the domain
    Administrators create a user account in an existing directory service such as Microsoft Active Directory and a directory user account in BES12. BES12 creates the user account in Google for Work when the user activates a device.

I think with this, you don't need to setup LDAP sync between the domains as once you create an Android for Work activation, BES12 will create the account within the Android for Work directory. That will save alot of headaches I'm sure.

Now, I wasn't succesful because I can't verify my domain, then I tried to use my own Google Apps account (signed up for beta years ago still have a free account) but I couldn't get this step verified.

8. In the Google Admin console, click Advanced settings.
    9. Click Manage API client access.
    10. In the Client Name field, enter the Client ID for the service account that you recorded earlier.
    11. In the One or More API Scopes field, enter the following web address:
    (another link i'm banned from posting)

12. Click Authorize.

I gave up there and just tried the SWS activation which is working just the same way as it did on my OnePlus (minus the crashes seen on OPO). The only downside to this is that you don't get your mail on the HUB.

I'm now going to try just and MDM activation (did already and works) but the current policies couldn't create the hub account. I'm going to try this again with new policies and see if I can get that part working with just MDM by pushing the eas cert to the device during activation.

PS. My device is way hot after activating SWS, but I also experienced this with the OPO.
    12-02-15 12:24 PM
    Yes. But with a BB10 device, they all come prepared to be connected to a BES server with no software required.
    By many android users it would be seen as bloatware, which users constantly knock companies such as Samsung for ! I never used it as a BB10 user so I really did not need it pre-loaded.
    01-05-16 04:14 AM
47 12