Sorry if this has been asked before, I can't find any threads relating to it. I'm a BB10 user and haven't used Android before, and don't know all the ins and outs. What I do know is that other companies such as Samsung and Sony run a custom built Android which offers unique features to their phones, in addition to their own apps.

Could BlackBerry potentially release a custom Android OS rather than just the stock Android with a few custom apps? And am I right in thinking that if they do this, they could incorporate the Hub a bit better than it is right now?

Also, if BlackBerry do decide to create a custom BlackBerry Android OS, would Priv users and all other BB Android devices released before it happens be able to just upgrade to it? Again, not sure how it works as I assume it would be like loading a completely new software, not just an upgrade to current software.

This is all hypothetical, again sorry if it sounds stupid - I'm not too clued up on Android. I'm currently using the Passport, but looking to upgrade to what is rumoured to be called the Argon later this year.
    07-01-16 06:39 AM
    The general censuses is that the closer to stock android the better. About the only custom in BB's OS is security related.
    The hub is not part of the OS, it is an app, as such it can be disabled and you can use whatever you want. The Hub app is constantly being improved, in small increments admittedly, but it will eventually be as good, maybe better than in the BB OS's. And the hub can be installed on most any android device.

Personally, I don't want a heavily customized OS from BB. That would mean that I'm stuck with what ever BB decides I want. And it could cause conflicts with 3rd party apps. Android itself is massively customizable, and you can set it up the way you want it.

Coming from BB10 myself, I've decided I like android, I'd prefer BB10 with app availability, but that just ain't gonna happen.
    Be warned, the learning curve is a bit steep. Lots and lots of settings, and they all spread out in different places. But once you get it set up, it works pretty well.

Also be careful picking apps, there is an app for almost anything you want to do, actually there will be around 782 of them. A dozen or so that actually work, and 2 or 3 that work well.
    arnold nyakundi likes this.
    07-01-16 08:18 AM
    Ah thank you, that is very informative! I gathered the learning curve would be quite steep, and I guess it makes it a bit easier with near enough stock Android.

BB10 with app availability would, by FAR, be the best outcome but as you said, it's never going to happen.

What I was getting at in my original post, was if BB had a customised OS, wouldn't they be able to implement their ideas a lot better than just creating apps for their ideas? As mentioned, maybe having Hub as a feature in the phone itself rather than a separate app just like BB10. Yeah, I get that Android isn't BB10 but one can only dream for the best of features to be transferred correctly.

Generally speaking, now that I've had the Hub for 3-4 years, I cannot go without it. I won't be upgrading my Passport until the end of the year, so hopefully Hub works extremely well by then on whichever device I choose to go for. As for the app situation - it will be the complete opposite to BB10 I suppose
    07-01-16 09:22 AM
    Oh and get ready to get the notifications almost everyday that apps need to be updated!!! Woooohooooo
    07-01-16 09:26 AM
    Oh and get ready to get the notifications almost everyday that apps need to be updated!!! Woooohooooo
    There's at least one day a week I don't need to update any apps, course I don't really have that many compared to a lot of folks.
    I also set it up to update automatically, only when on charger and wifi. So I don't worry about it, when I take it off charge in the morning, it just tells me which apps have been updated while I slept.
    07-01-16 09:37 AM