I can understand the security part with the kernel changes they have made, but how on earth can you protect privacy using Android? It seems like word play to me. I'm not pro or con on this, just wanted someone to make a case on why my "Privacy" is better on this phone as opposed to say..... a Samsung or NEXUS device. Maybe the Blackberry contacts app blocks access from other installed apps as opposed to the stock Android one? Not sure.
    10-28-15 12:41 AM
    I guess many people aren't getting this. I also dislike how their "marketing" simply keeps throwing their "security" and "privacy" buzzwords around without actually comparing or stating why exactly my privacy is secured compared to using my Galaxy Note Edge - or any other Android phone for that matter.
    ssilva7 and tuxedo323 like this.
    10-28-15 03:50 AM
    I guess many people aren't getting this. I also dislike how their "marketing" simply keeps throwing their "security" and "privacy" buzzwords around without actually comparing or stating why exactly my privacy is secured compared to using my Galaxy Note Edge - or any other Android phone for that matter.
    Yeah, until I can get a solid detailed answer I'm gonna say PRIV stands for privilege not privacy.
    ciaoenrico likes this.
    10-28-15 12:20 PM
    Yeah, until I can get a solid detailed answer I'm gonna say PRIV stands for privilege not privacy.
    Well it is pronounced like privilege

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom*-*
    10-28-15 02:06 PM
    DTEK actually monitors applications' use of permissions and warns you if those permissions are being used. You are implicitly notified if your contacts, or location, or personal info are being accessed.

This is certainly a Privacy issue I would think.

Attachment 377855

Attachment 377856

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by conite; 10-28-15 at 02:40 PM.
    10-28-15 02:16 PM
    DTEK actually monitors applications' use of permissions and warns you if those permissions are being used. You are implicitly notified if your contacts, or location, or personal info are being accessed.

This is certainly a Privacy issue I would think.

Attachment 377855

Attachment 377856

Thanks Conite, I guess that would be a security issue. But I feel a retrospective, as opposed to a prospective approach to privacy alerts is useless.
    10-28-15 08:00 PM
    Thanks Conite, I guess that would be a security issue. But I feel a retrospective, as opposed to a prospective approach to privacy alerts is useless.
    I'm at a loss to understand what you mean by privacy then. DTEK, to me, is the very definition of privacy protection. How exactly it gets implemented (at device launch and going forward) in terms of alerts and/or prevention is yet to be seen. We've only seen select simulator pics, but the BlackBerry blog says DTEK "hooks deep within Android and provides users with powerful feedback and control".

Security, to me, means protecting against root access along with preventing device access through proper passwords and device encryption.

nokia4life and Jrox74 like this.
    10-28-15 08:17 PM
    I'm at a loss to understand what you mean by privacy then. DTEK, to me, is the very definition of privacy protection. How exactly it gets implemented (at device launch and going forward) in terms of alerts and/or prevention is yet to be seen. We've only seen select simulator pics, but the BlackBerry blog says DTEK "hooks deep within Android and provides users with powerful feedback and control".

Security, to me, means protecting against root access along with preventing device access through proper passwords and device encryption.

Right, but I mean..... why use a car alarm if it goes off after the car thief has driven away with your car?
    10-28-15 08:45 PM
    Right, but I mean..... why use a car alarm if it goes off after the car thief has driven away with your car?
    I don't think we know enough about how DTEK operates right now, and how it will evolve, to make that comparison.

Last edited by conite; 10-28-15 at 10:33 PM.
    Arabianhorse likes this.
    10-28-15 08:47 PM